Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103150 times)

Offline jl222

Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #270 on: December 04, 2010, 03:59:44 PM »
  Dan, you are "THE MAN"!
  In this day and age, most in your position would say "I'll show those dumb bast--ds". 
  Your's is not a enviable position, but I sure am glad we have you there, and you don't ever let us drive you out!
  Also, I hope that old crust, Glen Barrett, who has cleverly remained silent throughot this, is never allowed to escape the asylum at the three mile.
  Well I have to get ready to watch Oregon "California A-- Kickers" get ready to beat Auburn, er the Beavers, so you guys are on your own.
                                                 Sign me, Proud to be a ex-Duck (got a pink slip after two terms)
                                                       Bob

Quack Quack Quack :cheers:

Offline RogerL

« Reply #271 on: December 04, 2010, 04:09:24 PM »
Dan,

I am very interested in the helmet restraint issue. The way the rule is written, it is likely my car will not comply with out a major rebuild. my cockpit is very tight and was made that way to keep yours truly from flopping around in there. we even made sure that my head/helmet was restrained. quite frankly the set up in my car will do a better job of restraint than any HNRS on the market. again, the way the rule has been changed i would have to use an SFI certified device. any such device will not fit in my cockpit and even if it would, i would not be able to exit. seems to me like there has been some over reaction. i support the concept, just not the application as written in the new rule. let me know if i can be of any help.

saltfever

« Reply #272 on: December 04, 2010, 05:13:43 PM »
in my car will do a better job of restraint than any HNRS on the market. again, the way the rule has been changed i would have to use an SFI certified device. any such device will not fit in my cockpit and even if it would, i would not be able to exit. seems to me like there has been some over reaction. i support the concept, just not the application as written in the new rule. let me know if i can be of any help.

We need to keep the issues clear. First, the HNRS has not been raised as an issue in this thread. We were told about its possible implementation two years ago and 1 year ago it was announced to be mandatory in 2011. That is hardly an unreasonable approach by SCTA. Many used the HNRS all of last year. Most of the comments in this thread are about the new lateral movement rule “at a minimum extend to the forward most portion of the helmet”. That is not an SFI spec. It is SCTA’s modification to the existing lateral movement requirement that has been in effect since last year and is probably why your system is as you describe. All you have to do is extend your lateral supports to the end of your helmet. Repeat: that is not SFI but a new SCTA rule change. In many cases welding an extension will solve the problem (if there is space for it)!The discussion is hardly an overreaction. Using words like that just polarizes people and accomplishes nothing. Just as in your case, this change will make egress virtually impossible for many cars! It is quite possible that the full implication of this change was missed by SCTA and we want to be sure the comsequences are fully understood.

PS: In some cases the HNRS, in conjunction with the new rule, make egress about impossible. In other cases even without a HNRS the extension still makes egress impossible.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2010, 05:28:07 PM by saltfever »

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #273 on: December 04, 2010, 06:59:54 PM »
I don't know if it was on this thread or another.  But complaining about visibility limits while being pushed in the pits and on turn-outs should be a non-issue.  A tow-bar solves these problems.  And a lot of others, too.  Why anyone has to ride 4 or 5 miles being pushed with limited visibility and stopping power is beyond me.  Steering a race car at BVille on non-graded salt with low speeds is not a treat.  Let your friends take a picture of you at the wheel, then hitch up and go where you need to -- hopefully to visit DW. 

We use motor home "whiskers" on the tow vehicle to keep the salt down.  Works great.  With open front wheels on the race car, they kick salt into the cockpit on turns, but would with pushing, too.

Maybe not on the right topic, but I still think worth posting.     
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline oldracer19

• Plan B Racing
« Reply #274 on: December 04, 2010, 11:06:50 PM »
Dan:
Thanks for all you do! :cheers:
"because plan A never works"

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #275 on: December 05, 2010, 01:06:10 AM »
Dan, will the reps present  at the meeting be involved? Or will
this be another surprise event on the agenda for the next board/reps meeting?
80ci,264.7 RWHP, 19.2sq.ft. of frontal area, 175.611, NOTBAD

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #276 on: December 05, 2010, 01:20:31 AM »
All of the rule changes have been presented for a reason. Not because the SCTA/BNI is trying to slim down the lines on the salt, or something like that. They are presented for "saftey reasons", for everyone.

Offline jl222

« Reply #277 on: December 05, 2010, 02:08:10 AM »
All of the rule changes have been presented for a reason. Not because the SCTA/BNI is trying to slim down the lines on the salt, or something like that. They are presented for "saftey reasons", for everyone.

We know that but if your a rep [ you sound like you might be] don't assume all rule changes have been researched and
worded correctly before voting. I think thats what happened with the helmet support ruleing, best intentions but not realizing
 it not working on some cars, and committee members thinking more research was done, or not having enough time to think it through themselves.

JL222

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #278 on: December 05, 2010, 02:15:04 AM »
JL222, are you referring to the lateral or HNR system?

Offline bvillercr

« Reply #279 on: December 05, 2010, 02:32:49 AM »
I'm sure he is talking about the lateral rule and moving it more forward.

Offline MAZDA1807

« Reply #280 on: December 05, 2010, 02:47:00 AM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I do be live this came into effect because of how far your head could move forward. If you current support system is similar to mine, I used 1 1/4" diameter tubing, my head could clearly go under one of the two sides and perhaps break my neck.

Offline wjesel

• New folks
« Reply #281 on: December 05, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »
I've just returned from the Indy trade show and there was a very nice display of Polycarbonate windows and windshields. The company is Shields Windscreens and their website is racingshields.com They have worked on some landspeed projects in the past. Seemed to be very nice quality.

Offline jl222

« Reply #282 on: December 05, 2010, 02:40:59 PM »
JL222, are you referring to the lateral or HNR system?

The lateral

Offline dw230

« Reply #283 on: December 05, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »
Thanks for the input from the PRI show Wayne.

Pete,

There will no vote on this issue. There are no meetings scheduled until January. We have to see what magic can be done to soften the impact of the "bat wing" rule.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #284 on: December 05, 2010, 02:49:40 PM »
DW,  let me know if you need any more pics to help our cause.

I have local access to several seat builders and there lateral head supports.

I can get info and pics of them on and off the car.

I can even take better pics of my seat and lateral head supports (I will get help) if you need more detailed view like with a driver wearing the helmet and belted in etc...

I am more than glad to help.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com