Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103146 times)

Offline Pat Kinne / Salt201

• Global Moderator
Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #255 on: December 03, 2010, 11:44:34 AM »
Rule Changes - From my personal experience with the RMRoadster body requirements.
I found the process to be lengthy, frustrating but informative as well. My experience would indicate that the current SCTA Rules Change Procedure does work. After questioning a couple of the Tech people and e-mailing Russ Eyeres I submitted a request for change to SCTA.  After more e-mailing the request for minimizing the current trend for shrouding the rear deck of the class required body was incorporated into other submitted thoughts on preserving what is the defining part of the class - the roadster body itself, the rule went to the committee then a Club Representative vote and on to the SCTA Board for final approval. My original "bitch" was just after Speed Week 2009. I can't say enough about how much help getting through the process came from Russ and the Roadster Committee. The final Rule leaves a good bit more covered body work than I had hoped for but it at least gives some ground rules. - Pat Kinne

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #256 on: December 03, 2010, 12:33:36 PM »
Pat, I am in agreement with you. Back whien I was part of and chairman of the roadster committee I had a hard time with the guys who thought all roadsters were built by Boyd and we should allow those interpretations in our classes. In the back of my mind (what little there is left of it) I knew these body were going to occur once the Association allowed rear engine roadsters.

We allow too many changes now for original body lines in all the roadster classes and their relationship to all the other parts to each other (some how that disappeared). Only a few real 34's are left with the correct lines. Thanks to their builder the fastest one is correct....JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #257 on: December 03, 2010, 07:52:17 PM »
 Clay, in my opinion, I would think you would want it at least as thick as the stock glass so that it would work with you window channels in the door.
  Obviously, the thicker it is the harder it will be to form the curves, but you don't want it so thin that you have to add bracing to prevent deflection.
  You might start by physically testing the deflection of each thickness with your hand, say about 10" in from the edge............................ bob

Thanks Bob for the advice, i will try it.
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #258 on: December 03, 2010, 07:54:28 PM »
Just a suggestion. If you're buying Lexan, Margard is the better choice for our applications. It's Lexan treated with a scratch resistant coating which leaves it usable for a much longer time. When cleaning any of the plastics it is best to flood them with soapy water first.

Pete
Good Point Pete, until you mentioned that, I did not think about that, thanks for mentioning it.
Clay
Those who said it could not be done, should not stand in the way of those who are already doing it!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #259 on: December 03, 2010, 09:57:02 PM »
  As I recall, a camel is a horse designed by a committee. :evil: :cheers: :cheers:
  Doug
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #260 on: December 03, 2010, 10:19:26 PM »
On the Lateral Head Restraints new rule.

Even though "I Think I am in compliance" and will not need to make any changes if the rule stays written as is...
 I do agree with many others that the rule and it's wording should be looked at again.  I also agree that if you are belted in the seat properly, your belts are mounted properly and you are wearing an approved HNR properly, then the drivers side lateral head restraint need only come out as far as the beginning edge of the eye hole (face shield area of the helmet) or around approx 60% of the distance from back of the helmet shell to leading edge of chin bar.

This would allow you "easier"  ingress and egress from the car over the current rule wording and provide the needed lateral protection.

If the Thompson video had an influence on the rule and or it's wording, I do agree with other posters about the need to revisit the rule and it's wording and to make sure the driver can exit the car. The video shows that that seat had no shoulder side supports, no or very minimal lateral head side supports. little rib and hip side supports and it "seemed" as if the shoulder belts mounted a bit to high and also "seemed" as if the belts "may not" have been as tight as they could or should have been!!.  So maybe the rules folks should consider  better wording or as other posters have mentioned making this "strongly reccommended"  not required or re word the spec for now.

Charles
« Last Edit: December 03, 2010, 10:23:14 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Clay Pitkin

• B&B Racing
« Reply #261 on: December 03, 2010, 11:52:20 PM »
For the most part, I am the type of guy I try and comply with the rules, and try and meet the requirements and try to do it with little or no discussion. 
One thing that I have noticed, and by all means this DOES NOT imply to anyone or team personally, its just what I have observed from my own work environment, drag racing, and life in general.
I think many times we as racers and humans get our minds set in one particular path, know how we want to do things and we don't want to deviate from it. Just today for example, I took my engine to my engine builder, we spoke of the engine, and he told me 3 Simple tips that apply to my engine in gaining HP that I never would have even thought of on my own, but still keeping me in the same class. But because he has done research, he had the facts and figures to prove his findings, its hard to argue with black and white facts on paper. Me personally I don't like the idea of going to lexan, simply because I just spent a boot load of money on tinting, but because of my own stupidity I should have looked more into it, but I didn't. Simply put: Lesson learned! 
I think rules in classes is the same way. Yes it does cost alot of money, but you figure it this way. If I have to purchase and use a head restraint and it will assist me in being around to raise my kids, and being with my wife its well worth it.

Just some thoughts
As I said before this is just my opinion, and I am not implying it to anyone or anything in particular.

TIA
Clay     

Offline dw230

« Reply #262 on: December 04, 2010, 02:18:57 AM »
This is what got done this evening:

See added words in red to the Gas Coupe radiator change:

A replacement radiator of the same height and width, or larger and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used.  Blocking of air flow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.

I got a commitment to have a spec for the window safety film in two weeks.

I asked for a one year delay on the helment support issue. I did not get that but, I did get the same two week commitment for a revisit on the change.

Thats all I was able to get so, hang tight for a couple of weeks and we will see what shakes out.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Online jl222

« Reply #263 on: December 04, 2010, 02:40:42 AM »
This is what got done this evening:

See added words in red to the Gas Coupe radiator change:

A replacement radiator of the same height and width, or larger and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used.  Blocking of air flow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.

I asked for a one year delay on the helment support issue. I did not get that but, I did get the same two week commitment for a revisit on the change.

Thats all I was able to get so, hang tight for a couple of weeks and we will see what shakes out.

DW

THANKS a whole bunch Dan that might really help on the supports, and thanks for trying on the delay  :cheers:

Is there any one or persons we should call our email? 

JL222

Meetings getting over early these days, I remember leaving Anaheim at midnight and getting home in Santa Ynes at 3:30 AM
 course we had to bench race and down a few after :roll:

Offline dw230

« Reply #264 on: December 04, 2010, 03:40:54 AM »
John,

Don Ferguson III, D3, is going to contact Lee Kennedy and Steve Davies to see what can be done in the short term. Lets let Don do his thing and see what happens.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

saltfever

« Reply #265 on: December 04, 2010, 05:29:13 AM »

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #266 on: December 04, 2010, 08:02:44 AM »
DW,

Thanks for all you do... what an advocate you are for the folks on this forum and LSR in general.

Keep up the great work.

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline RichFox

« Reply #267 on: December 04, 2010, 01:07:21 PM »
Dan and Board.  Well done. Thank you.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #268 on: December 04, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »

DW

Dan -

Wow - just - Wow. 

I remember looking for film last summer in anticipation of running this year.  When I came across what was available in the auto stores, I suspected that it was going to be of little value.  I ran 130 club last year, so it wasn't an issue.  A spec, without having to name a specific brand, is great news for everybody. 

Thank you.

Chris
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #269 on: December 04, 2010, 02:02:11 PM »
  Dan, you are "THE MAN"!
  In this day and age, most in your position would say "I'll show those dumb bast--ds". 
  Your's is not a enviable position, but I sure am glad we have you there, and you don't ever let us drive you out!
  Also, I hope that old crust, Glen Barrett, who has cleverly remained silent throughot this, is never allowed to escape the asylum at the three mile.
  Well I have to get ready to watch Oregon "California A-- Kickers" get ready to beat Auburn, er the Beavers, so you guys are on your own.
                                                 Sign me, Proud to be a ex-Duck (got a pink slip after two terms)
                                                       Bob
Bob Drury