Author Topic: new 2011 rule changes  (Read 103137 times)

Offline Bob Drury

Re: new 2011 rule changes
« Reply #135 on: November 29, 2010, 04:34:58 PM »
  T Salt,  go to your racecar, place your helmet aproximately where your head would be.  Now imagine the drivers side restraint plate or bar clear to the front of the helmet.
  Your periferal vision is now essentaly blocked to the left, and if you lower it to the bottom so you can see, imagine trying to get out without catching your Hans type device, helmet, tethers, etc.
  If you move it to the top, you risk snapping your neck in a side impact.
  Obviously vision to the right will be equally impaired.
  Unless you run in a class with a mandated "funny car" type cage, ala roadsters, this is going to be a mess to deal with on existing cars.
  I am 6' 3" and 245 lbs.  There are drivers larger than me.  We aint all gymnasts, and able to turn ourselves into a pretzel.
  If they enforce this rule, the Nascar style seats cannor possibly be called legal without major modifications.  I didn't think they were in accordance with the rules last year either.  Bob
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:38:28 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #136 on: November 29, 2010, 04:45:33 PM »
Bob I feel your pain I am exactly your size.

But I have seen the in car video that promted this---I would rather be trying to get out than be in the car with a broken neck because my helmet CAUGHT out side of the cage when my straps STRETCHED that far in the flip.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #137 on: November 29, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
  Sparky, then lets mandate different belts, not re-engineer the whole darned structure.   :-P  Bob
« Last Edit: November 29, 2010, 04:56:50 PM by Bob Drury »
Bob Drury

Offline jl222

« Reply #138 on: November 29, 2010, 05:10:28 PM »
Bob I feel your pain I am exactly your size.

But I have seen the in car video that promted this---I would rather be trying to get out than be in the car with a broken neck because my helmet CAUGHT out side of the cage when my straps STRETCHED that far in the flip.

Sparky... if your reffering to the Thompson video, if the belts had been mounted to SCTA specs and if he were strapped in tighter he would not have moved as far. Review the video he's moving up and down inside the belts.

JL222

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #139 on: November 29, 2010, 06:35:09 PM »
I agree that the mounting is too high---but an awfull lot of that up and down is probabally spinal compression.

You take a high g impact the belts better stretch or they aren't helping lessen the G loading much.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:16:31 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #140 on: November 29, 2010, 07:04:35 PM »
I'm thinking a hinged lateral restraint in the entrance side with a clevis pin arrangement and a rip cord attached to the window net.  Pull the net down, the pin comes out, you flip the front part of the new restraint out of the way, and like Houdini, you're out.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

saltfever

« Reply #141 on: November 30, 2010, 01:53:34 AM »
Edit . . .You take a high g impact the belts better stretch or they aren't helping lessen the G loading much.
Finally, it has been mentioned. Stretch is a good thing (within reason).  . . It attenuates the G-force. Obviously, is should not be to the point you collide with things, but you need some stretch. After the Thompson video some comments inferred that no stretch was better. I.e., the polyester vs. nylon discussions.

Now to another point. You need lateral cushioning on either side of the helmet. The new rule says . . . provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection . . .When you look at NASCAR seats some seats look like they have 2”-3” of cushion on each side. Has anyone measured the foam on a NASCAR Seat?  I would like to have at least two inches or more of foam on each side plus some air space so the helmet and eyeballs don’t rattle. Does “inclusive of structure deflection” mean you can only have a maximum of 2” between the helmet and steel, with foam stuffed in the 2” space? Or can you have 2” of foam and 1 or 2” of air for some freedom? Is 2” on each side enough space for the foam as well as a little air space so there is no helmut contact with the vibrating structure?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 01:57:49 AM by saltfever »

saltfever

« Reply #142 on: November 30, 2010, 02:14:40 AM »
5.D.3    Gas Coupe - /BGC, /GC  
A replacement radiator of the same height and width and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used.  Blocking of air flow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.

The intent is clear but here is the problem. How do you run 800Hp through a Vega radiator? Gas class can be an engine swap. If the car originally had a very small radiator you can’t run “same height and width” if you swap in a big motor! Even with an OEM motor (like the Cohn’s Monza) what do you do when it puts out 5 x HP?  I don't know of a single gas coupe that can meet this rule. Seriously, what do I do . . .  :?

« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 02:16:28 AM by saltfever »

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #143 on: November 30, 2010, 02:42:05 AM »
I think the rule was designed to keep guys from building air conditioning condenser style radiators with very tight fin counts to block the air.  :-o  But I don’t think it will stop them.  :evil: Just look at a NASCAR speedway radiator, interesting fin counts they have. Just my two cents.  Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

saltfever

« Reply #144 on: November 30, 2010, 02:58:32 AM »
I am not quibbling with the intent of the rule. Obviously, this rule as many LSR rules, is trying to prevent an undue aero advantage. But English is my first language . . . this rule is clear. Same height and width as OEM will outlaw just about every gas coupe running! The picture above is one of the winningest "Classic" cars out there. Look at the top radiator mount (the purple thingie). See how short it is. That is the OEM width. Look at his radiator!  Seriously, most gas coupes had small OEM radiators. Just look at the HP those cars have now.

If the intent is to stop obstructions (like a gas tank) in front of, or back of the radiator . . . I get it. But it doesn't say that. Gas coupe is mostly about engine swaps. Yeah, QC or non-stock blower, moves you into GC. But the HP is always greater than stock. You can't run an OEM-size radiator. This rule forces you to go thicker which is an air restriction and defeats the purpose of the rule. What is going on . . .  :?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2010, 04:18:52 AM by saltfever »

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #145 on: November 30, 2010, 08:25:30 AM »
A lot of folks run a remote mounted radiator in a tank system---run the heater hoses at most through the stock radiator.

Offline gearheadeh

« Reply #146 on: November 30, 2010, 09:49:35 AM »
Edit . . .You take a high g impact the belts better stretch or they aren't helping lessen the G loading much.
Finally, it has been mentioned. Stretch is a good thing (within reason).  . . It attenuates the G-force. Obviously, is should not be to the point you collide with things, but you need some stretch. After the Thompson video some comments inferred that no stretch was better. I.e., the polyester vs. nylon discussions.

Now to another point. You need lateral cushioning on either side of the helmet. The new rule says . . . provide restriction to lateral head movement of less than 2 in. per side inclusive of structure deflection . . .When you look at NASCAR seats some seats look like they have 2”-3” of cushion on each side. Has anyone measured the foam on a NASCAR Seat? I would like to have at least two inches or more of foam on each side plus some air space so the helmet and eyeballs don’t rattle. Does “inclusive of structure deflection” mean you can only have a maximum of 2” between the helmet and steel, with foam stuffed in the 2” space? Or can you have 2” of foam and 1 or 2” of air for some freedom? Is 2” on each side enough space for the foam as well as a little air space so there is no helmut contact with the vibrating structure?

This is what Iam wondering too?
40 is the old age of Youth, 50 is the young age of the Senior years.

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #147 on: November 30, 2010, 10:11:24 AM »
Polyester belts still stretch and absorb some of the impact, it's just that they don't stretch excessively like nylon.

Pete

Offline JR529

« Reply #148 on: November 30, 2010, 10:44:43 AM »
A replacement radiator of the same height and width and mounted in the original location as OEM shall be used.  Blocking of air flow thru the radiator in front or behind is not allowed.

The intent is clear but here is the problem. How do you run 800Hp through a Vega radiator? Gas class can be an engine swap. If the car originally had a very small radiator you can’t run “same height and width” if you swap in a big motor! Even with an OEM motor (like the Cohn’s Monza) what do you do when it puts out 5 x HP?  I don't know of a single gas coupe that can meet this rule. Seriously, what do I do . . .  :?

A replacement radiator can be bigger than stock, just not smaller. It was discussed having it say "at least the same height...." at the rule meeting but it was decided that it was not necessary.

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #149 on: November 30, 2010, 12:22:41 PM »

As racers we seem to whine sometimes. But then as racers we think of a way to get around problems all the time. weather it's making more power from a small engine or making a stock body just a bit more aero.

The answer to this question has been around for decades........
It's called a water tank.  :wink: Also note the rule only gives outside demensions, not thickness.

Oh, and as far as gas coupes go, I can point out many who use a stock size radiator..... some running over 1400 hp. Go figure.....  :-D
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...