Author Topic: Ak Miller  (Read 4264 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Ak Miller
« on: December 17, 2005, 04:07:16 PM »
Ak Miller passed away Thursday afternoon. A racing pioneer and racer of many venues. More infornation as available and on the www.scta-bni.org web page

God Speed mr. Miller
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline GeneF

Ak Miller
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2005, 04:55:47 PM »
Many years ago I had the pleasure to watch him clean a whole bunch of dirt and gravel off the road up Pikes Peak with the rear wheels of his racer. A real leadfoot! Met him briefly in the pit area and he seemed to be a real decent guy. Sadly, another one of the true hottrodders is gone.

Offline don pennington

• Cool Old Decals
    • http://www.hotrodmotors.com
Ak Miller
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2005, 06:14:12 PM »
A couple of years ago, maybe longer.... I was in LA doing a little research on something and went by Ak's place. I had no intention of really spending any time there, just had a couple of pictures for him to look at. It was at least 2 hours later when I realized that I had missed an interview I had been setting up fo over a year... Ak had been winding through the dusty pages of his life. He told story after story, all linked together, He would telling me something about some deal then would get side tracked by remembering something about a totally different happening, he would never get back to the original thought. It was an endless speel of people, dates, cars and all that. When it became obvious that he was about done, I asked him about all those facts, did he have any literature or records to pin some of that stuff down. " Naw... there's no way to know for sure... most of it ain't true anyhow"
Old style water decals
www.hotrodmotors.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Ak Miller
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2005, 08:27:10 PM »
For anyone interested go to google and type in his name. Lot's of info on Ak and his life.
Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Modest Ak
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2005, 08:57:52 PM »
One Bonneville meet (USFRA?) about ten years ago we were pitted two doors down from Bobby Unser's circus. Sights Jr. and I (help me out here, Bob) were servicing our hot rod when this distinguishing-looking gent strolls over from Unser's pit and takes a seat in one of our many lawn chairs.

A few minutes go by and we ask, "how're you doing?. "Fine," he sez, "just wanted to have a rest." We, the experieinced big-time land speed racers ask, "have you been here before?" "Yes," he replies, "a few times." "So, have you ever run car or driven down the salt?" "Yes, a couple of cars...even set some records."

By now we're curious. "What's your name?" we ask. "Ak Miller," he replies, as humble and modest as can be. Bob and I immediately broke out in chanting "We're not worthy, we're not worthy!!"

Nothing but respect and admiration for the gentleman. R.I.P.
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Bob Drury

Ak Miller
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2005, 09:18:49 PM »
About ten years ago at Speedweek, I was waiting for the worlds slowest elevator to ride up to my room at the Stateline.  As I crowd on in with all the old slow folks, I glance around and discover that I am jamed in between Wally Parks and Ak Miller.  Damn, that elevator ride went way to fast........... R.I.P. , Ak.  You have been my hero for over forty years.
Bob Drury

Offline interested bystander

Ak Miller
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2005, 12:23:59 AM »
Don't know why only 33% of my posts post . Anyway an abreviated secong attempt. Godspeed Ak Miller . You are a TRUE legend!
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

dwarner

Ak Miller
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2005, 01:11:29 AM »
I just cannot write anything witty.

I love the man, a true icon.

God Speed AK

DW

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
Ak Miller
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2005, 12:50:04 PM »
For archive photos go to: http://www.nhra.com

Thanks for your Hot Rod vision Sir. God Speed
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline panic

• My tech papers
Ak Miller
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2005, 11:34:15 PM »
Didn't Ak used to say "old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm"?

Offline D-Type

Ak Miller
« Reply #10 on: December 26, 2005, 07:35:06 PM »
Truly a 'Man of parts' - don't forget that Ak also raced in the last two great town-to-town international sports car races, the Carrera Panamericana and the Mille Miglia.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

zedoctor

Ak
« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2005, 07:29:29 PM »
I have just lost another of my heroes.
Somewhere a turbocharged, propane powered pinto just kicked a rod...)
Godspeed Ak.

Doc