Author Topic: World Finals Tourist  (Read 7001 times)

Offline LDOG

• New folks
Re: World Finals Tourist
« Reply #15 on: September 24, 2010, 05:36:44 PM »
Sorry to intrude, I am new to the WONDERFUL blog.  Seeing that Ack is running Saturday it makes for a road trip from the Bay area.  But before I head out, what is the charge to see the action?

Offline Rob

« Reply #16 on: September 24, 2010, 07:23:35 PM »
rob for entertainment draw a circle on the windscreen for each person in the car . permanent marker will do . whoever gets the most bugs  in their circle over a set distance wins . to start a new game hit the washers . travel safe . paul stuck in south australia

Interesting idea Paul,

We've had a great start, the young bloke did his ankle in playing soccer last week and is on crutches. It's a heck of a way to get on and off the plane first  :|

Assuming everything works I will still be contactable via email mate.

LDOG RE the cost of entry, I have no idea but compared to the cost of getting there (for us) it will be miniscule. Thanks for the heads up on Ack for Sat.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2010, 12:04:01 AM »
There is no charge for getting onto the salt for the Top Speed Shootout.  Show up at Land's End and expect Lynda to ask you to sign the standard waiver and install a wrist tag on you -- and that's it.  There are no vendors out there, nobody that'll sell anything (other than maybe a team t-shirt or Rocky with his book).  It's free for all.  Wait, that sounds kinda rough.  It's all for free.  Better?  Yes, by all means, come out -- and you can see not only Rocky but also the lawnmower.  How better could you spend a Saturday than most of it behind the steering wheel and a few runs of fast vehicles?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Papi

« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2010, 07:10:06 PM »
There is no charge for getting onto the salt for the Top Speed Shootout.  

Um, I think he means WF, not TSS Slim.  I believe there is a charge for WF, not sure what it is, but the crew at lands End guided by Linda will fill you in.  Look forward to seeing another peep from the bay area there!

And Rob, look me up when you get there  :cheers:
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2010, 07:25:07 PM »
I stand by my guess that he meant the Shootout.  He wrote on Friday, the 24th, and the Ack bike ran on Saturday, the 25th.  The Ack bike is not planning/is not running on the Saturday at the end of World Finals.

But you're right that there is probably a charge for spectator access for World Finals.  I don't know how much -- probably similar to Speedweek, where it's $40 for the week and something like $15-20 for one day.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline dw230

« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
 This just in from Mike Waters.

World Finals pre-entries:

88 Cars

40 bikes

128 total

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Rob

« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2010, 11:52:35 PM »
Thanks Papi,

I'm shafted and cannot make it to WF sadly. I'm not a happy chappy but them's the breaks. The vehicle I was loaned is a time bomb and I have already had to put a radiator in it. The left front wheel bearings are on borrowed time as are the electrics. I have no shop and only the tools I bought to fit the radiator with me. This is a 2000 Ford Expedition, they don't make them like they used to!

It's not all bad, I'll be at the Santa Ana Drags reunion this Saturday and also the Eagle Field old timey drags the following Saturday.

All of you guys (and gals) at the WF have a safe time and perhaps we'll catch up on the next trip.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline Papi

« Reply #22 on: October 02, 2010, 02:49:57 AM »
Rob, if you can make it to Northern California (San Jose) by Sunday, you can go up with us.
I have an extra bed in the trailer as well.
-Papi
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline shuddabinbornthere

• New folks
« Reply #23 on: October 03, 2010, 06:38:46 AM »
Hi

I'm a real newby - never been to Bonneveille in my 63 years, but am flying from UK 4th Oct for Worl Finals with my youngest son (33yrs old) for company. The weather forecast looks really bad for the week, but we've booked, so we're coming!!
Maybe the good Lord will look kindly on the English.

Would hope to meet some of you regular salt addicts soon.
Hoping for a great time, some good runs and a safe event for all.

Does anybody know where I can view the entry list?

cheers

Offline dw230

« Reply #24 on: October 03, 2010, 12:02:56 PM »
Ed has been out of town and will go directly to Wendover. He has not posted the pre-entries this year.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Rob

« Reply #25 on: October 03, 2010, 01:11:41 PM »
Rob, if you can make it to Northern California (San Jose) by Sunday, you can go up with us.
I have an extra bed in the trailer as well.
-Papi
Thanks Papi,

I really am not meant to go, we went out to dinner Friday night and I got food poisoning, only just surfacing this morning. Thank you very much for the offer and for thinking of me.

Cheers,
Rob

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #26 on: October 03, 2010, 03:33:57 PM »
This just in from Mike Waters.

World Finals pre-entries:

88 Cars

40 bikes

128 total

DW

[/quot

ooooh thats a small field everybody should be getting in plenty of runs.....

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: October 03, 2010, 10:43:37 PM »
It's 20 'til 9PM SLC time on Sunday evening.  I just checked the NOAA weather report for Wendover and it's still saying that stuff about 40-60% chance of rain and thunderstorms for the next few days.  Whatever. . .

But -- I clicked on a tab that gives the 24-hour precipitation totals.  I include the link here.  It's shown as colors, not inches or something, so you'll need to use the decoder on the lower right side.  I think what I learned form the tab is that there's been only a trace of precipitation in Wendover in the past day.   I hope it stays that way.  Hate to have all those toilets and no people to use 'em. :-D
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #28 on: October 03, 2010, 11:28:26 PM »
I will be departing Tue. am to be a homless person between the finish line and the TRUCK STOP CAFE :-D
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Papi

« Reply #29 on: October 03, 2010, 11:58:05 PM »

Thanks Papi,

I really am not meant to go, we went out to dinner Friday night and I got food poisoning, only just surfacing this morning. Thank you very much for the offer and for thinking of me.

Cheers,
Rob

Well we got a minor delay till Monday afternoon Rob. Drink some plop plop fizz fizz and drive North! You can meet us at my place which is 50 miles south of San Jose proper. In other words, stop your belly aching and haul ass.
San Diego Roadster Club