Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367730 times)

saltfever

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #780 on: September 24, 2010, 05:17:31 PM »
That is what I thought. But what I am trying to determine is if there is a pressure relief device in the system. If so, the overpressure exceed its capacity to relieve. I could see that happening if fuel was also injected into the plenum but find it difficult if fuel is only injected into the individual runners.

Offline JoshH

« Reply #781 on: September 24, 2010, 05:27:17 PM »
Ya, that 1% rule is lame man. He went faster than the record, that should be the new record.   :?

Get this, they missed it by 2.520 (mile) and 2.784 (kilo) - but I hope I'm wrong - man so close

SSS - an news on the Spectre car?
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:31:35 PM by JoshH »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #782 on: September 24, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »

Tom, Ian told me that they DO have another top in the trailer -- but they won't use it.  Ah, the wonders of having a deep reserve of parts, hey?

Jon, Thanks. I would have never guessed there would be an extra Manifold in the trailer. And you are right, it must be nice to have those kind of reserve parts.

Thanks again,

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #783 on: September 24, 2010, 05:43:09 PM »
Stuff and updates --

The manifold on the Speed Demon has four ports for sensors.  There's air pressure and air temperature, and the other two lead, through plastic pipe/tubing, to other air pressure sensors for the waste gate.  They have 'em set up that way for electrical isolation and also for the damping effect of the long tube.

Ack Attack is thinking over what they'll do -- evidently one engine has a bad gearbox and the spare isn't set up like what's in the bike now - or something.  So maybe they'll swap out the front engine and run the back one with it in the morning.

Rocky said that with the hurt gearbox he can't use first, so they dialed up about 12 pounds of boost much earlier in the rpm range -- and he started his runs, in front of the push truck, in second gear.  With the extra boost he was very able to get off the truck without lugging the engine.  So - he could run tomorrow without that first gear- says he'd like to, in fact, 'cause there'd be one less shift taking up a bit of time as he accelerates.

Jack Rogers has made a run in the Camaro --  210.4 entry speed, kilo was 206   mile 205, exit 197.  Don't ask me why it's 50 mph down or more -- they're on the track and not here to answer questions.

The Jamie Williams nitrous bike made a run while I was at the Ack pit -- so I hope I'm correct when I say it was him.  Anyway, the speeds were way better than last runs -- entry 218,  kilo  226,  mile 224, exit 225.

I think that's right -- but it's way faster than before.  I'm saying it was the nitrous bike 'cause I see the turbo scooter in the pit.  Think I'm safe guessing this way?

The lawnmower is getting ready to make a run.  It'll be a while, though -- 'cause they'll run from the 4 1/2 through the timed mile (which is about the 5 to the 6), and that means they've got to drive down to that part of the world.  Nancy and I are going to relocate to the tower so we can cover this earth-shattering record event (well, not record, more like a trial run).
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:45:56 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline jl222

« Reply #784 on: September 24, 2010, 05:44:27 PM »
Looks like that manifold needed ribs on the out side like a blower case to stop the expansion.

The expansion was caused by a backfire.  They think maybe a broken rocker arm....

Slim scooped me on the photos, but this is what I got

Really surprised they don't have a top fuel type burst panel on that top plate it looks like it would fit.
  Bet they have one next time. Or maybe as they have a backup they don't need to worry about burst panel
problems. But you could still hurt the blower and intercooler without one. They must have something somewhere.

JL222

Offline Billy @ AHG

« Reply #785 on: September 24, 2010, 05:47:31 PM »
414  With a big ol'Caddy mill just how cool is that ??  Hats off the engine dept !
Salt Junkie

Offline k.h.

« Reply #786 on: September 24, 2010, 05:50:21 PM »
63 pages of Speed Week 2010 thread (almost 39K hits).  53 pages of Shootout 2010. 
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #787 on: September 24, 2010, 05:52:57 PM »
We've moved to the timing tower and the lawnmower is being started.  I wonder if it's a recoil rope starter :roll:

Lawnmower 104 is underway!

Entry speed  80.9   kilo  82.6   mile  82.5   exit  84.0

Dang, I've seen it all now.  I'll get some photos to you pretty soon.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 05:55:06 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

saltfever

« Reply #788 on: September 24, 2010, 05:54:45 PM »
Jon I’m sensitive to the mood in the SD pits right now and I understand and respect their feelings. A very big “thank you” for finding out the sensor information for me. And . . . when given the opportunity, please thank them for sharing all their information all week.

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #789 on: September 24, 2010, 05:56:42 PM »
Sometimes it's hard to find a place to get good cell phone reception...but the middle of the track?

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #790 on: September 24, 2010, 05:58:43 PM »
Sometimes it's hard to find a place to get good cell phone reception...but the middle of the track?

Maybe his GPS has steered him the wrong way. :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #791 on: September 24, 2010, 05:59:48 PM »

Sorry if the photos aren't good -- he's already turned around and making the run -- I didn't have time to check or edit.

He's already done with his return run.  He ran 79.4 entry, 80.4 kilo,  78 mile and 73 exit.  He was having some engine issues -- a bit of missing, then he pedaled the throttle near the end of the run.  Maybe the bad salt, maybe the blade got dull and took up too much power. :evil:

Remember that this isn't a record attempt, but rather some tune up runs.  I'll try to get photos of the mower itself -- up close.  I suppose you'd like to know if it's a basic Briggs and Stratton, too -- wouldn't you? 

Ray has just left this area -- will undoubtedly have better photos than I got, but I wanted to share the excitement with you ASAP.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2010, 06:03:24 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #792 on: September 24, 2010, 06:05:13 PM »
thats funny stuff right there...... does he get a 1 or 2 hr turn around?
kent

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #793 on: September 24, 2010, 06:06:04 PM »
Darn, don't they allow traction control on mowers, maybe he should lay down and get out of the airstream. No rooster tail. Just funning he is doing something he believes in, good for him.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #794 on: September 24, 2010, 06:06:56 PM »
hey maybe Blue can tell us if the blades are making down force  :evil:
kent