Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367577 times)

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #480 on: September 23, 2010, 12:49:18 PM »
The key to requiring two runs in different directions within two hours is to cancel wind-assisted runs.

For those of you that hold records at El Mirage when a racers wind was pushing down the track at 20 mph you know what I mean.

I would suppose you could make three runs in the two hour window and toss one of them as long as the other two are in opposite directions.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #481 on: September 23, 2010, 12:53:31 PM »
Like was said earlier..only the last two count..if you toss out a qualifier and then make a faster run again then on the return pass you brake or fail to run a speed that would have given you the record you cannot go back and take the first run and pair it with the second run even if they were in  the two hour window and they were run in opposite directions..

landracing

« Reply #482 on: September 23, 2010, 12:56:06 PM »
I get a pass on that Glen, I'm a four wheeled guy at the moment.....

But yes there is a 1% rule for FIM bikes also.

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #483 on: September 23, 2010, 12:58:42 PM »
Dave Petrali says that for FIA -- any two runs within the one hour window.  For instance, when the F1 cars were running a few years back they were running laps, and took the two fastest during a one-hour window.  Any two runs -- absolutely do not need to be consecutive.

Charlie Hennekam, (a/k/a FIM Charlie) is busy with the Ack bike at the far end - so I don't have the motorcycle rule answer yet.

Mike Akatiff is a half-hour from running, so we'll wait for Scott Horner to decide if he's going to make a test run soon.  He's putting the bodywork back on the bike now.

Yesterday's problems on the nitrous bike have been traced to a low pressure mother bottle and not enough nitrous (too much non-nitrous gas) in the bottle on the bike.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

landracing

« Reply #484 on: September 23, 2010, 12:59:11 PM »
Like was said earlier..only the last two count..if you toss out a qualifier and then make a faster run again then on the return pass you brake or fail to run a speed that would have given you the record you cannot go back and take the first run and pair it with the second run even if they were in  the two hour window and they were run in opposite directions..

I believe your wrong John.... As long as you have consecutive runs in oppositie directions within time frame you can use them. Remembers there is NO "Qualifier" for FIM or FIA... If you break on a run, then you can go back and use the last two consecutive runs.

JonAmo

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #485 on: September 23, 2010, 01:00:23 PM »
Like was said earlier..only the last two count..if you toss out a qualifier and then make a faster run again then on the return pass you brake or fail to run a speed that would have given you the record you cannot go back and take the first run and pair it with the second run even if they were in  the two hour window and they were run in opposite directions..

That's the way I always thought it worked. You take the chance of throwing out the first run in hopes of bettering it. If you don't you're SOL... But what do I know... :|
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:03:04 PM by ol38y »
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline RayTheRat

• Just me and the camera
    • Ray the Rat's Chevy Asylum
« Reply #486 on: September 23, 2010, 01:10:09 PM »
Refresh, Refresh, Refresh.........!

I know right....Bag the camera, the next enhancement for the site should be auto-refresh. I've wore all the paint off my F5 key.

Either run Opera with the Reload Every feature or run Firefox and download the reload add-on.  Both work great.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #487 on: September 23, 2010, 01:11:59 PM »
Here's a link to Murph's blog.  Follow this and you can have a nice rundown of the overnight thrash at the Spectre pit where they took out the big motor (528.5") and put in the little(r) one (485").  Read it and enjoy. . .

http://www.wherethehellismurph.blogspot.com/

Other than that, we're still waiting for the Ack bike to decide when they'll be running back this way.  Speed Demon is working on the car, Jack Rogers Realtors is working on the 757(2) car (having some fueling issues -- too rich, takes too long to clear out when coming off the push truck), Spectre is getting ready to run but no schedule yet, -- and lunchtime is drawing nigh.

Rocky is walking around up by the bike, and all suited up -- but no forecast of when they'll run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #488 on: September 23, 2010, 01:13:55 PM »
Like was said earlier..only the last two count..if you toss out a qualifier and then make a faster run again then on the return pass you brake or fail to run a speed that would have given you the record you cannot go back and take the first run and pair it with the second run even if they were in  the two hour window and they were run in opposite directions..

I believe your wrong John.... As long as you have consecutive runs in oppositie directions within time frame you can use them. Remembers there is NO "Qualifier" for FIM or FIA... If you break on a run, then you can go back and use the last two consecutive runs.

JonAmo

Wow then Charlie was wrong with what he told me when we set the FIM record at 252+ back in 2005, does not surprise me however..

Good to hear about the 1% rule however if you have the record..that means Rocky could run 370.00 mph average and still not get the record.. :-o

landracing

« Reply #489 on: September 23, 2010, 01:19:23 PM »
Im looking in the FIM book now, navigating thru it is painfull becuase road race stuff is also in there.

JonAmo

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #490 on: September 23, 2010, 01:21:17 PM »
Remember that what I posted was from Dave Petrali about FIA.  I have not posted anything definitive about FIM yet.  I'll get that story to you when I can -- and then you can take it to the bank or to the FIM, which is more convenient.

Ack bikeis maybe 10 minutes from a run -- the wind is very low.  Nish car finally just fired up -- they've been chasing a no-ignition hassle all morning.  Spectre has run the little engine and is getting the car ready, but no decision onhow soon they'll run.  Speed Demon is working on the car, jack Rogers is working on the car, Scott Horner's bike is on the trailer and will go to the 8 mile and make a run down to the pits -- either right now or right after Rocky runs, depending on what Rocky decides to do.  He's got first dibs on the course -- and is about to get into the bike, Cook says on the radio as I type.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #491 on: September 23, 2010, 01:26:33 PM »
...Ack team must find something BIG to get it up to speed.....

Offline -Bob-

• New folks
  • Lamtrak / G-Force suspension guy
    • www.starsuspensions.com
« Reply #492 on: September 23, 2010, 01:27:45 PM »

JonAmo

Wow then Charlie was wrong with what he told me when we set the FIM record at 252+ back in 2005, does not surprise me however..

Good to hear about the 1% rule however if you have the record..that means Rocky could run 370.00 mph average and still not get the record.. :-o

We had these discussions last year with Charlie about the LAMTRAK / G-Force snowmobile.

let say we have 4 good runs for a record in 2 hours:

220 mph ->

200 mph <-

190 mph ->

210 mph <-

the first 2 runs are good for a record even if we made other runs after
run 1 and 4 can not be combined for a record because they are not consecutive

-----
Bob
-----

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Administrator
« Reply #493 on: September 23, 2010, 01:29:39 PM »
Rocky is in the bike, gave a thumbs up 'cause of great (no) wind, firing engines right now.

Bike is under way.  Wheels up, good leave, coming at us in a heck of a hurry, past the one mile.

By the two, coming fast.  Through the three, through the four mile.

Entry 297   kilo  307   mile  306  exit  314

Slowing, chute deployed, slowing, a mile from the pits,

Stopped on the course about 100 yards from the pit.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:35:22 PM by Seldom Seen Slim »
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #494 on: September 23, 2010, 01:33:38 PM »
Dang....  I hope Rocky and the Team find the Gremlins hiding under the bodywork...

Thanks for all the TOP NOTCH Reporting SSS  :cheers:
« Last Edit: September 23, 2010, 01:36:08 PM by Livin1072 »
Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09