Author Topic: Top Speed Shootout 2010  (Read 367532 times)

Offline Freud

Re: Top Speed Shootout 2010
« Reply #105 on: September 20, 2010, 11:09:35 PM »
Did all the race teams quit when they closed the course?

Generally major stories evolve as the crews thrash late into the evening to be ready for the next day.

Our coverage seems to have ground to a halt when there aren't numbers to present.

Reporting starts when no one is running. It tells us what to expect the next day and why today turned out the way that it did.

I learned more with my cell fone while I'm in Palm Springs than I did from the Salt.

Hasn't always been that way, has it?

FREUD
Since '63

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #106 on: September 20, 2010, 11:54:26 PM »
C'mon Dr Fleud, remember when, (as I commented recently) when ALL you got was the Bonneville results in the NOVEMBER Hot Rod.

Slim, Rat and others have spoiled us.

What are ya, one uv the NEW GUYS that saw World's Fastest Indian and became a Landracing expert?

I'm listen' to Joe Williams on the only Jazz station left in the US rite now  and can't be bothered with these NEWBIE complaints!

G'nite!
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 05:28:44 PM by interested bystander »
5 mph in pit area (clothed)

Offline Freud

« Reply #107 on: September 20, 2010, 11:59:15 PM »
Look Incested Bystander, I have known the World's Fastest Indian for a L O N G time.

His name is Jim Travis.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #108 on: September 21, 2010, 12:07:57 AM »
It would be interesting to know what happened under the covers, I mean tarps, tonight.  Us new guys don't know what these people can do when the pressure is on.  Great coverage. 

Offline mkilger

« Reply #109 on: September 21, 2010, 12:20:13 AM »
Freud, classic  thats funny

Offline Uncle Jimbo

« Reply #110 on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:45 AM »
SSS - Freud all - the reporting is so spot on its almost like being there, the pictures are really a treat. All the side bar type info - You guyz make it like old time radio - where you have to use your imagination to visualize whats being told to you, and you do a fantastic job.
Like hearing you say - Speed Demon through the traps at 413 mph - no main chute opening - - - Oh man ! the suspense - I love it as I am sure others do also.
I felt like a kid listening to the radio the last 1/2 hr catching up.
Great stuff guyz -
THANKS !   Enjoying every minute -   :cheers:   :-D

Jimbo
From days of old, when knights were bold, and rode Iron Horses
24 Land Speed Records
M/PP 1350 AMA/BUB - M/CPG 1350 - M/CPF 1350 - LTA
M/PG 1650 - M/PF 1650 - AMA/BUB
A/PG 1650 - A/PF 1650 -  ECTA - LTA
Top speed to date 194.664

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #111 on: September 21, 2010, 12:30:18 AM »
Jon,

Thanks for the GREAT reporting! Almost felt like being there, without the Salt and stuff. Extreme thrashing and extreme results.

Can't wait to log on tomorrow. Meant to send a check after Speedweek, in the mail tomorrow. Keep up the good work!

Tom

Offline FIL

• Portal to a bunch of my sites
« Reply #112 on: September 21, 2010, 12:59:14 AM »
Having gone to Speedweek with the intention of posting big updates every night from the hotel room, and then ending up spending hours sitting in the Macca's carpark because the hotel room didn't have any internet connection at all, I'm grateful for any snippet that pops up, so thanks to all that are out there posting, and good luck to all the competitors! :)

See you all whenever I can save up the $$$ to come back to the US again :)

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #113 on: September 21, 2010, 02:02:00 AM »
Basic questions for a car expert.  The blower engines I worked on years ago had compression ratios, cam profiles, and valve sizes that would not work well as N/A engines.  Can Poteet and Main get their engine to run well as N/A by simply removing the blower, or will they be switching engines when they go to all motor tomorrow?  Those cars look awful complicated with all of the hoses, wires, etc packed into a small space.  Isn't an engine change beyond what can be done overnight on the salt?  I thought the BLM made everyone except the security people leave at night.

landracing

« Reply #114 on: September 21, 2010, 02:23:59 AM »
Wobbyl,

First off they run a Turbo and not blowers. I can not speak for them however todays engine are so refined in the motorcycle world stock valving and cams seem to work the best with turbo's. However I could see them using a lower compression piston. I bet they don't change cams or valves from their NA to Turbo motors.

Many posts back I was wondering how the engine would run NA with lower compression, I did would assume they run the same valves and cam. Good question maybe for John W to get in morning.

In the past the have had spare motors already ready to go down to the motor plates, starters etc etc. Remove a few oil lines and fuel lines and electronics and drop the baby in. Upload a NA tune up and they are ready to rock. Ron Main told me they could swap a motor in line waiting if they have to. This team is very well organized and a pit crew that is fast and efficient.

I do not think it is a BLM rule about camping on the salt, I think it is a organizers rule. But if they stay up all night and don't sleep then they wouldn't be camping. However I think a motor swap if need be would only take less then a couple hours.  Could be out there at 6 am and be ready to run after two vehicles complete a FIA/FIM attempt in both directions.

JonAmo

Offline Oldanontheway

« Reply #115 on: September 21, 2010, 07:35:46 AM »
Waiting, waiting, waiting, waitin, waiti, wait, wai, wa, w, ,.......Damn, I can't wait for the racing to begin.  I hope everyone gets to go really , really fast today!

old.......
Political correctness is a spineless character flaw that emboldens the enemies of freedom, tolerance and peace.

This ain't your mothers cookie cutter motor sport like NASCAR or NHRA.. +10

Offline -Bob-

• New folks
  • Lamtrak / G-Force suspension guy
    • www.starsuspensions.com
« Reply #116 on: September 21, 2010, 08:03:01 AM »

Ack just said that in the morning they'll be at the far end by about 6.30 or so -- and will let Nearburg make a first run, then the Ack bike.  Guess that means we've gotta get up early again in the morning.  So much for early-day hymeneal hijinks at the Motel 6, room xxx.  It doesn't get light enough to run 'til about 7.15AM, thankfully.

My main language is french, i am sometimes confused when reading here: I am pretty good with technical motosports expressions, since i read magazines about that for so many years. But i do use a translator to help me when things goes where i'm not used to.

I dont know why, but the translator had an hard time on this one.

Keep up the good work Jon..  You're a very passionate guy

Thanks

-----
Bob
-----

Offline rlague

« Reply #117 on: September 21, 2010, 09:12:17 AM »
is Ack Attack on the salt yet?
IGNITION3  Productions
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE DVD/TV Show 
WORLD'S FASTEST MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ACK ATTACK - RECORD BREAKING MOTORCYCLE - BOOK
ISDE DVD series
www.worldsfastestmotorcycle.tv
www.ignition3.tv
www.isde.tv

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #118 on: September 21, 2010, 09:19:14 AM »
We're here, we're here.  Mike Cook is on the radio right now offering thoughts and prayers to the Brauer family for the passing of Gary yesterday.

(moment of silence)

Charles Nearburg and Ack Attack are both at the far end of the course this morning, waiting for the sky to brighten enough to run.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #119 on: September 21, 2010, 09:30:12 AM »
Teams are allowed to stay out here overnight.  The permission is granted by the race organiser -- Mike Cook in this case.

As for staying out here 24 hours a day to give coverage -- well, it's not about to happen with me at the helm of this site.  There's not much to report during the wee hours, or, for that matter, when there's only thrashing going on.  I will not get in the way of a team that's working on a vehicle.  They're here to race and don't need me - or you, for that matter -- poking into their way to ask questions.  As soon as I can get in there I'll try to get you some information.  Other than that -- you'll get what we get as soon as I can type it.  If you've got specific questions, go ahead and post them and I'll read them when I can and get an answer when I can and get it back to you.  But -- speeds and stuff like that come first and foremost.

Okay, ranting response has ended.  Nearburg's crew is about done deploying at their assigned positions along the course and the car will run in the next few minutes.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com