Author Topic: Just a Reminder.....  (Read 5061 times)

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Just a Reminder.....
« on: December 10, 2005, 07:57:37 PM »
....to be careful in the shop.

I called Don Meyer who lives by St. Louis yesterday.  Some of you know him as he has gone to b'ville with us with his black Ford pickup and black camping trailer.  He retired and sold his parts store to his son a couple years ago and sometimes still helps out.  Recently he was down in the basement of the parts store pressing a bushing into an "A- arm" with a socket for a customer.  We have probably all done this with bushings or U-joints.  The socket popped out -- hard -- and hit him in one eye.  He was in surgery for 5 hours, but they couldn't save the eye.  He is home and doing as well as could be expected and wants to come out and go to B'ville next summer.

I have another friend who has a friend that was using either a hand grinder or cut-off wheel and the wheel exploded hitting him in the face.  It was touch and go with him, but they were able to save his eye.

Since I wear glasses I've been pretty lax about wearing face/eye protection in the past, but for the last year or so I'm trying harder to use it whenever I'm grinding.  I'll use it also now with the press.  I use one of those thick face shields and feel pretty safe with it.

I've been pretty good with ear protection since I lost a lot of my hearing when I had the motorcycle shop and can't afford to lose more.

Anyway think safety as much as possible.

c ya, Sum

Offline SaltRat

Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2005, 10:10:58 PM »
Hear Ye, Hear Ye!

Sum is right.

As Smokey Bear always said . . .  Please be careful!
SaltRat
When (if?) this baby hits 88mph, you'll see some serious poo.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2005, 02:27:24 AM »
Good info, we should not take our sight or hearing for granted..

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just because
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2005, 07:08:28 PM »
You have 2, the second is not a spare.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
Shop Safety
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2005, 11:30:42 PM »
I guess as you get older you start to think more about keeping all your parts. I don't do anything with out safety glasses and leather gloves and I just had a full thickness leather shop apron made my an Amish leather craftsman and I can tell you it has paid for itself already. I also like knee pads as I get swelling of the knee if I kneel on the concrete floor to much.

Again, when you get to my age and everything is still attached and working you really want to keep em.

BE CAREFUL!!!!! in the shop.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline hitz

Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2005, 11:10:09 AM »
Sum,

Good reminder! Wish I had taken better care of my hearing. My favorite word seems to be HUH?

How's the Lakester coming? I have the Mazda transmission grafted to the Saturn. I need to have a flywheel and two plate clutch built now for my lakester. Don't have the machinery to do that myself so I'll have 10,000 RPM do that for me. Back to work on the inner panels for now.

More progress reports for your web page to follow soon.

Harv

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2005, 12:44:02 PM »
Quote from: hitz
Good reminder! Wish I had taken better care of my hearing. My favorite word seems to be HUH?

HUH? WHA? Yes, two of my most uttered words. As a kid at the drag strip, my friends and I had a contest - who can stand closest to a running top fueler in the pits (back when you could get close) without plugging your ears. Unfortunately, I usually won due to my ears already being "seasoned".

Hindsight is not only 20/20, it's 15-20 db!
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Listen carefully
« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2005, 03:27:08 PM »
because you proably can't hear well.
You haven't lived until you have pushed back a front motored TF car in the lanes aftef the push down the track and no reverser. When the invented burnouts it was worse. Some of the tracks had rollers and that guy was still yelling at breakfast. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline Bob Drury

Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2005, 09:44:48 PM »
Ah, yes, and I also remember peeling the soles off my shoes at Fremont, when I reached the VHT.  No hearing and no shoes.................
Bob Drury

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2005, 12:47:18 PM »
Ha! I didn't have to push. By the time I was old enough I was assigned the luxury of backing-up our driver in the right direction after the burnout. I learned never to wear Vans slip-ons on the starting line.

Jack- My earliest recollection of cars coming up the track was at LIONS, before the rollers. Was that YOU grunting & groaning out there?
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Don't you mean
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2005, 07:06:36 PM »
Van's Slip Offs ?
I was a kid when I first traveled to the races with the Bean Bandits and they always had a lot of help.
That was before VHT and they smoked the tires.
If you were down on power,or only had 1 gear left, often they wiped the tires with an oil rag. I still have 1/2 a bucket of Rosin that "Dandy Dick Landy" left behind at Bee Line. It was years before I saw him again and he was at the Auto Parts in Wendover getting some clamps to fit the "Flat Fire".
When they had you back up the cars, did they dress you up like a girl? They had some really ugly ones.
Oh Wait, this is about safety. The first "Scatter Shield" I saw was !/2 a tire that was cut to fit the bell housing and tied on with a rope.
"It is a small world, stay away from the edges."
LOL

dwarner

Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2005, 01:03:14 AM »
"...did they dress you up like a girl? They had some really ugly ones"

Excluding Jungle Pam

DW

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
Just a Reminder.....
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2005, 12:47:09 PM »
Now remember Dan,moderation in all things.  Well except in Jungle Pam Hot Pants photos!
http://www.junglepam.com
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMEMBER
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2005, 02:21:31 PM »
Remember when you were young, she needed glasses, you couldn't do anything about it, and that was a good thing.
 Now you are older and need glasses,you still can't do anything about it, and that is a good thing too. :wink: