Author Topic: Campos 322 mph Record  (Read 5379 times)

landracing

Campos 322 mph Record
« on: December 07, 2005, 09:35:45 PM »
How is it that the Campos Record was included in the SCTA rule book? These runs were made under FIM/AMA sanctioning private time on the salt. How does it get included into SCTA records???
FIM had less rules to run a liner, both for class rules and safety rules but they were included in the SCTA book????

Jon

landracing

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2005, 10:32:42 PM »
and the date is wrong in the record book, it was July 14, 1990 not 8/90 as the rule book states.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It should be interesting to watch.
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2005, 03:50:23 AM »
The question is really "Who knows?" because Jon does. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

dwarner

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2005, 08:35:36 AM »
and the date is wrong in the record book, it was July 14, 1990 not 8/90 as the rule book states.
Part one I don't have answer for.
Part two answer is that a couple of years ago Ed & I decided to start including the month along with the year a record was set at Bonneville so the fromat would follow the El Mirage record section. With this info a person could determine at which meet a record was set, i.e. 08/xx = Speed Week, 09/xx = World of Speed and 10/xx = World Finals. Maybe too much information but, I'm a left brain kinda guy. Easy enough to drop in the next edition of the rulebook.

DW

landracing

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2005, 09:12:50 AM »
Thanks Danno on the date correction,

Is there a form I have to fill out to submit for a correction in rule book???

Jon

Offline Dakin Engineering

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2005, 09:55:58 AM »
A correction? To the records? You must be joking! EVERYBODY knows they were set down in stone, just like (insert personal religious text here).

Sorry but it's all white here and it ain't Salt.
Turbo Sportsters since '97

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Sorry about the white out..
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2005, 10:40:06 AM »
The actual date was an easy mistake when you are doing so many and an easy fix that can be caught in the blue line.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

dwarner

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 10:47:02 AM »
Easy to say but difficult to do when you have to depend on someone to provide the correct information.

DW

dwarner

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2005, 10:47:57 AM »
Jon,

No official form available. Provide the correction with the supporting paperwork and the change will be made.

DW

Offline Mark Gillette

• New folks
Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2005, 11:31:47 AM »
I believe it was  certified as a BNI record, because Jack was the official timer, using the SCTA's clocks and an SCTA board member. I think.

Mark

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yup
« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2005, 12:05:31 PM »
Their was a lot more to it than that. The record was supervised by Higbee and Mc Carty also.
Mark was just a kid, hell he still is. His dad was president of the SCTA it think but for sure he was the source of the information that Mark has.
It never hurts to ask the elders. You don't even have to like them but the information contributes to the understanding.
Tell me Mark, did your dad make you do that ?  LOL

Offline Mark Gillette

• New folks
Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2005, 01:51:43 PM »
I just figured I would share what I knew, since the people who do, weren't. The "old man" is in Salt Lake visiting family, that's why I wasn't able to post all the info.

Ya' know, it's been really hard living in the old man's shadow, I do have my own history. While I'm not as active as I used to be (I'm working on the C-T sprint car right now. should be ready for the may meet), my first speed week was in 1965 and I didn't miss my first one until 1982. I have seen allot of history and I have set and still hold a couple of records. Because of the old man's politics I was denied entry into the 2 club.
But I wouldn't trade it for it anything, because without him, I wouldn't have done any of it.

From all the PM's you've sent me Jack, I thought you knew who I was?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Yes
« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2005, 03:43:23 PM »
I certainly knew. I was good to hear from you.
I have suffered from the politricks and it was nothing your dad ever did. I was fighting with him when we met and that was no more than what you might expect from 2 bulls. The lasting effect was we were both stronger and hopefully did a better job.
I know I gave him fits and with that I knew I was headed for a revelation, sometimes mine, sometimes his.
Sometimes it was a problem I couldn't handle but tried to understand.
He is the type of friend I might not hold hands with , but want him on my side in a brawl.
The PMs are for a different audience and purpose.

landracing

Campos 322 mph Record
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2005, 03:15:34 PM »
I was hoping that some other old timers could have elaborated on the details of the first post of this thread... You may have to go back and read it again..

This is sketchy as best so please correct if I am wrong on the details.

Basically this was a private meet held for AMA/FIM santioning for the Easyrider motorcycle. There was a deal struck between Teresi and the SCTA. The SCTA was very low on funds them year(s), low enough that a scrubbed event would bankrupt them. So Terresi paid the SCTA $500 to recognize that record in the SCTA rule book. And he would pay volunteers to come to the event from the SCTA to oversee or watch, whatever... ALSO part of the deal was for the recognition in the SCTA rule book wss the SCTA was to get an insurance rate that was well below cost from what they were paying. SO they got a $500 payment plus a reduction in insurance for the Speedweek event... Thus saving the SCTA xxx amount of dollars for Speedweek operation...

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Close
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2005, 07:39:10 PM »
It was not quite as dramatic as that.
It was an open event to AMA/ FIM entries and also included a "Run What You Brung"class for bikes that could pass a basic safety check as appropriate to the entry. They were classed by type as opposed to many other variables that are common to the sport.
The SCTA sanction was limited to the Easyrider vehicle that was competing only against the record it already had with AMA and SCTA. It featured the first use of the 2 track method you are familiar with in SCTA today.
The cost for the 3 officials that happened to be 2 existing and 1 ex SCTA board members was not born by SCTA. The expenses for the other sanctions and certifications were paid for by the event promoter.
The advantage to SCTA was the $500 fee but greater impact was the weeks of insurance coverage for the event impacted the final cost for SCTA and they realized a better rate. They were not on the skids for money as much as they were postured to reduce costs to match income and keep the fees to the racer under control.
 The financial support from Easyrider predated the event and continues today over 15 years later.
The object was not only universal recognition but a financial consideration also.
The safety features you mention were part of the US standards that might not be included in the FIM requirements because for the most part they were procedural that had to play the same all over the world.