Author Topic: Old M/C Records  (Read 10385 times)

Offline Stan Back

Old M/C Records
« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2005, 11:49:50 AM »
Why keep wondering when Dan has given  the answer?
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

dwarner

Old M/C Records
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2005, 01:02:18 PM »
I guess my answer is not actually what Bob is looking for.

The minimums are set by a committee of 2 club board members who look at existing records in classes above and below the open class. A recommendation for a minimum is brought before the board for adjustment or approval. The car minimums are pretty well set and close to class potential. For example, there are several classes where the minimum is less than 5 mph off an existing record, some as close as a mile an hour. My record set in 2004 was 230.851 on a 230 minimum. Should have been 10 miles an hour faster, not the cars fault the problem with the slow speed lay between the helmet flaps.

Scott Guthrie is in charge of the the motorcycle side of the records/minimums reporting to Pat Kinne. Scott's group is doing a great job of setting the bar for the motorcycle guys in this era of 200mph showroom bikes.

Hope this is more along the lines of what you are looking for,

DW

Offline Bob Drury

Old M/C Records
« Reply #17 on: December 10, 2005, 11:57:08 AM »
Once again, thanks Dan.  That is exactly what I was asking.  I guess its harder to clarify a question in person than on one of these damn keyboards.  I appreciate your hanging in there with me.   Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Bob Drury

Old M/C Records
« Reply #18 on: December 10, 2005, 11:59:00 AM »
Whoops!  Above post I meant to say easier, not harder.  See, I told you this keyboard hates me!!!
Bob Drury

Offline firemanjim

Old M/C Records
« Reply #19 on: December 11, 2005, 02:01:16 AM »
The reality is there is no motorcycle you can buy off the showroom floor and take to Bonneville that will run 200mph.Between the altitude,lack of traction,and the manufacturers unwritten agreement to keep the top speed limited it is not going to happen.If the "minimums" were put in place to keep out a perceived huge influx of "unworthy" people I suggest you look at the actual number of classes these feared "hyperbikes" will fit into,it is quite small. And looking at the record books for the 1000cc,1350cc,and 1650cc classes(most likely classes) it appears that most of those classes are already over 200mph.And the list of riders in those classes is even smaller--how many records does John Noonan have? :D Seems to be a moot point. I believe tha artificial barriers are a mistake,anyone who gets a bike over 200 mph has to make a commitment of will and work and that accomplishment should be recognized. I believe that the competition will set the limits as has already been shown.So let the racing decide.I think that for a club to label itself the "200 MPH" club and then set artificial barriers to limit entry into same seems wrong.
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline firemanjim

Old M/C Records
« Reply #20 on: December 11, 2005, 02:04:46 AM »
And it really annoying to log in,write a nice long post,hit submit and be asked to log in again.Of course then the post you just spent 15 minutes composing is lost forever and you must start over.I did learn and made sure I copied my second post as it did the same darn thing the second time.
So what am I doing wrong? :evil:
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Old M/C Records
« Reply #21 on: December 11, 2005, 02:31:08 AM »
Jim, since you ask I only have a few records, many more have lots however I just go for the one my bikes fit in and give me the best chance to go fast.

See you on the other side..and good luck!

J

Offline firemanjim

Old M/C Records
« Reply #22 on: December 12, 2005, 12:48:25 PM »
No offense intended,John--see smiley face-- I used you as an example to refute the argument that so many motorcycle riders were getting into 200 club. I know how many you have-LOL. Between you and a couple of other riders,you have collected most of the over 200 mph records.
How goes preparations?

landracing

Old M/C Records
« Reply #23 on: December 12, 2005, 02:36:04 PM »
From before time to 1998 there were 13 motorcycle members of the 200 mph club. (may be wrong that was a quick glance at members). So in basically 50 years 13 members.

Since 1999 to present there have been 23 new motorcycle members.
Tehcnology advances, as a result so do speeds, and end result so do the 200 mph Min. Speeds......
1- Kawasaki zx10 1000cc (Amo)
1 - Yamaha R1 1000cc (McVicar)
2 - Suzuki 1000's (Burkey, Francis)
4 - Kawasaki ZX12R (Owen, Hoffman, Wennerberg, Meyer)
10 - Suzuki Hayabusa (Yacoucci, Forstall, Beairstro, Deluca, Moreland, Noonan, Booth, Clanton, Knecum, Stuart)
2 - Buell Powered (Nallin, Horton)
1 - Suzuki 750cc - (Christer)
2- Streamliners (Hensly, Odom)

Jon

landracing

Old M/C Records
« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2005, 03:09:59 PM »
Ok I think I had an error on the first part I count 23. Minus the 11 streamliners you have 11 siton members. Of those siton members 3 were dual engine, 4 nitro, 1 alcohol, 1 two stoke, 4 turbo.....

12 - Streamliners (Don Vesco, Leppan, Rayborn, Wheeler, Holley, Lyon, McKibben, Herz, Allen, Angerer, Wirges, Thomas)
4 - Harley's (Payne, Riley, Campos (dual engine), Kinsey)
2 - Kawasaki's (Elrod (dual engine), Toy)
1 - Triumph (Minnono (dual engine))
1 - Vincent (Matson)
1 - Honda (Ranger)
1 - Suzuki (Louie)
1 - Yamaha (Guthrie)

Hey you guys Dolan, Guthrie, Forstall did I forget someone????

Jon

landracing

Old M/C Records
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2005, 03:21:19 PM »
Hey that was fun, so going back to the siton members since 1999 there were 7 nitrous bikes, 8 turbo bikes, 7 N/A bikes.....

Corrections????

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
REMARKABLE
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2005, 06:14:02 PM »
How times have changed.
And to think they did it without a (well you know what I mean) and a pretty good safety record.
We need to be careful to be sure the "Time Only" entries that exceed certain standards run some other time.
The 2 club sets their standards and it is up to you to meet them. They are not perfect but have a system in place that will consider your application that has improved over the years and is getting better.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline joea

Old M/C Records
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2005, 10:09:21 PM »
"""I just go for the one my bikes fit in and give me the best chance to go fast. """.............thats socal speak............translated....... that means.......it may be necessary to make the engine 1/3rd smaller......remove the fairing......... and add a sidecar..............

Joe :)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
LOGICAL ?
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2005, 10:39:16 PM »
It would seem the rules are fast becoming slow to protect the unable from the modern world.
I heard a good one today. We should take the obsolete 2 strokes over 30 tears old that are not made anymore and put them in Vintage.
Another idea was to only run Vintage because the newer stuff makes your head spin.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Old M/C Records
« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2005, 11:50:42 PM »
Quote from: joea
"""I just go for the one my bikes fit in and give me the best chance to go fast. """.............thats socal speak............translated....... that means.......it may be necessary to make the engine 1/3rd smaller......remove the fairing......... and add a sidecar..............

Joe :)

Side car might be optional.. :wink: