Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57492 times)

Offline jl222

Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #90 on: September 04, 2010, 01:31:02 PM »
  Alan...good luck with your meet, sounds like fun and if I lived closer would go watch.
  What do you think top speed will be?

This scooter talk brings back memories, my twin brother and I had some type of scooter in 1952 [12 yrs old] no name brand with fat tires and a Villiers 2 stroke motor, it had 2 exhaust ports , 3 speed hand shift trans,12 hp and a stickey throttle. it really did haul azz.
   We were going up this hilly street near our house [my brother behind me on this saddle type seat] when it came
out of gear with the throttle stuck open pretty far I jammed it back in low gear with my left hand and it jumped right out from under us leaving us sitting in the street my brother still holding on, the bike turning circles on its handle bar. we thought that was the funniest thing ever.

JL222

idefendm

« Reply #91 on: September 04, 2010, 02:27:34 PM »
JL222,

Thanx for the well-wishes, and the scooter story.

We have an entry from a Vespa mechanic who has a highly modified 2009 Vespa 300. This scooter is fitted with Malossi Racing parts such as clutch, variator, and a big-bore kit with a big Dellorto carb. He's entered in the 400cc class. Presumably he's running a Leo Vince or similar exhaust. I'm guessing this scooter will run very strong.

My Kymco S9 50cc is fully Malossi kitted to 70cc with a Leo Vince pipe, 21mm Dellorto carb, and Malossi tall gears. It is fitted with Pirelli SL27s, the scooter version of their Sport Demons. It too is liquid-cooled. The oil injection was removed and I run a pre-mix of Maxima 927 Racing Castor, Shell Premium and Trick Octane Booster at 32:1. I frequently ride it on the I-5 and 805 Freeways in the San Diego area. Unfortunately the speed exceeds the speedometer's limitation, but I do fine in the slow lane and pass trucks. It probably tops out at 65+ screaming along at 10,000 rpm. I am overweight, so with a lightweight person I'm guessing a top speed in excess of 75?

The female entrant riding the Piaggio MP3 500cc will probably approach the ton mark? I happen to know she has a Buell Shoei (Snell-approved) full-coverage helmet, high-top leather boots, etc. We required her to attend a 3-day MSF motorcycle class and show proof of completion.

Alan
« Last Edit: September 04, 2010, 02:42:07 PM by idefendm »

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #92 on: September 05, 2010, 01:19:33 AM »
Tom,

We've been working very closely with our race event insurance carrier and BLM to insure adequare safety for this event. All previously approved BLM race permits, including our's, are currently being re-evaluated. We've taken a proactive approach to safety. I presume our approved permit and operating plan are public record? Ambulance, First-Aid Station, designated fueling area, method of fueling are all on the checklist along with portable toilets and dumpsters. Most scooterists ride the streets and freeways with DOT helmets, goggles, gloves, and high-top athletic shoes or boots. This required apparel is available from one of our corporate sponsors, MotorSport Scooters, and advertised on our website. Long-sleeve MX jerseys or Ts and Levis will also be required. Armored leather apparel is optional. We're using new radar guns for this first event. All of our personnel will be equipped with Motorola two-way radios. The skepticism and negativity expressed in some of these blogs is precisely why we've organized our own event. Thank you very much for your kind thoughts and well-wishes

Regards,

Alan
Alan,best of luck to ya and don't let the self-appointed Gods on here get you down. Do what you gotta do. Believe it or not,you will get some positive support. I like funky kit,gonna come out and watch you guys run. Just do whatever the BLM asks and you'll be fine. you might want to come out and see how we put our course together to get an idea of how you might want to do it. We ai't perfect,but we have a pretty Dodge good safety record on the lakebed.
 Cheers!  :cheers:

:? :? :? :?

Was the "self-appointed Gods on here" directed at me? As my name is at the very top of your quote. If it was you are wrong as I have only had positive things to say to Alan to help him with this event. I have even sent him a PM regarding this event with the best of wishes.

Tom G.
Meant to quote just Alan,not you.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

idefendm

Another Teen Dies Road Racing
« Reply #93 on: September 05, 2010, 12:35:43 PM »
Tomizawa dies after Moto2 crash
Reuters - Sun, 05 Sep 15:18:00 2010

Buzz Up! Nineteen-year-old Japanese Moto2 rider Shoya Tomizawa has died after a crash during Sunday's San Marino Grand Prix, the second death in the sport in two events.

More Stories
Elias wins tragic San Marino Moto2
Pedrosa win overshadowed
Doctor Claudio Costa, part of the motorcycling world championship's medical team, told reporters the news.

Riders in the premier MotoGP class were also informed after their race, won by Dani Pedrosa.

"I found out now, when things like this happen nothing else matters," world champion Valentino Rossi told Mediaset television. "He was a lovely guy, it was a horrible accident."

Suter's Tomizawa was travelling at full speed when he fell off before a corner and was hit violently by the bikes of Alex De Angelis and Scott Redding, who both also tumbled but looked relatively unhurt.

A 13-year-old also died in a minor race before the Indianapolis MotoGP in the sport's last grand prix in August.

Motorcycling has always been among motorsport's most dangerous pursuits given riders are often thrown from their bikes and run the risk of hitting objects or being struck by other riders.

"You forget sometimes how easily something like this can happen. Sometimes our sport is just too dangerous," MotoGP rider Andrea Dovizioso said.

Moto2, the new name for the former 250cc category below MotoGP, still generates huge speeds and officials said they decided to continue with the race after the crash because of the fear of other accidents if a red flag was suddenly shown.

They added that Tomizawa was alive when he was taken from the track and rushed to a local hospital on Italy's east coast.

He was pronounced dead soon after.

The official news of his death had not filtered through before the start of the MotoGP race so the event went ahead.

Rossi, who suffered a broken leg in an accident before the Italian Grand Prix in June, led riders in a tribute to another dead Japanese colleague Daijiro Kato earlier in the week in a ceremony at Misano.

Kato, who lived in the Misano area, died after an accident at the Japanese Grand Prix in 2003.

Rossi has worked hard with other riders to try to make the sport safer but has said there is a limit to how much they can do.

Reuters

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #94 on: September 05, 2010, 05:17:27 PM »
This is an unfortunate tragedy but what has this to do with lsr or with El Mirage?

Pete

Offline interested bystander

« Reply #95 on: September 05, 2010, 05:37:45 PM »
Mr. Spears, You can't possibly be the  criminal attorney who practiced in the San Brnardino area, could you?

Did some work on your Harley side hack road racer  years ago, if so.

Folks, this guy's serious fer sure if it's he!

5 mph in pit area (clothed)

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #96 on: September 05, 2010, 06:36:23 PM »
Please call me Alan. Yes. It's me. Born in Berdoo at St. Bernardine Hospital.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2010, 10:15:58 PM by idefendm »

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #97 on: September 05, 2010, 06:46:24 PM »
Alan
im too lazy to look in yer rules... ya gotta class for my honda S90? its a step through frame! do you have to ride with yer feet on the pegs the whole distance down the track?
kent

idefendm

« Reply #98 on: September 05, 2010, 06:57:18 PM »
Sorry Kent, no motorcycles. Scooters only.  :-( I'll probably end up the the Gravity Challenged class on my Kymco if I don't go on a diet!

idefendm

« Reply #99 on: September 05, 2010, 10:54:17 PM »
WHOO YEAH! Are the Aprilia Turbos really coming from www.higaintuning.com in Colorado?

Offline jdincau

« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2010, 12:03:20 AM »
This is an unfortunate tragedy but what has this to do with lsr or with El Mirage?

Pete

He is just laying a little pipe.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline racer x

• Dark Horse Racing 10-B
« Reply #101 on: September 06, 2010, 06:56:44 AM »
WHOO YEAH! Are the Aprilia Turbos really coming from www.higaintuning.com in Colorado?
I had an SR 50 with a full Malossi kit . I had up to about 65 mph and was going to run it in 2007 when the rule about 15 inch wheels came into play .So I sold it for a 250 cc bike . But I am very happy to see the Scooter Land speed contest.

Good luck with this event.  I like the chop top SR.

the link is   www.highgaintuning.com
« Last Edit: September 06, 2010, 07:01:24 AM by racer x »
Thank you to all the volunteers

idefendm

Racer's Handbook, Volume I, 1st Edition
« Reply #102 on: September 08, 2010, 03:48:01 AM »
We are on the brink of publishing a Racer's Handbook for this event. Once approved it will be published to our website and e-mailed to entrants and prospective entrants. We're on the 4th draft and still drafting!

Offline Papi

« Reply #103 on: September 08, 2010, 02:10:02 PM »
Do people really still say Berdoo??   :-)
I haven't heard that one since Chevy Chase said it in one of his 80's flix.
Steve "Papi" Chappell, SCTA-BNI #2230 to 2239
Dirty 2 Club Member, Mojave Mile 2 Club Member
San Diego Roadster Club

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #104 on: September 08, 2010, 02:39:24 PM »
The San Berdoo Roadsters were an SCTA club in 1949.

They had a C/Street Roadster (former record-holder) entiered this year at SW.  It currently holds the El Mirage record.

Stan Back
Crew Member
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records