Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57497 times)

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #45 on: September 02, 2010, 01:08:25 AM »
. Thirteen-year-old road racer Peter Lentz was critically injured as a result of being run over by another racer.

Please understand the difference between "critical and fatal"  Peter was a real racer and not a scooter boy..

RIP little man.

J

Offline desotoman

« Reply #46 on: September 02, 2010, 01:47:52 AM »
Tue, August 31, 2010 5:38:08 RULE UPDATE; First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, Nov. 21st 2010, El Mirage Dry Lake, CA
To:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thirteen-year-old road racer Peter Lentz was critically injured as a result of being run over by another racer. No amount of safety equipment would likely have prevented Peter's untimely death.

Sincerely,

Alan Spears,
Scootermeister

Please understand the difference between "critical and fatal"  Peter was a real racer and not a scooter boy..

RIP little man.

J

I think Alan is pretty clear on both points of being Critical and Fatal. The sad fact is this kid is dead, and to me it does not matter if he was a Real Racer or riding a bicycle, his life was taken to early.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #47 on: September 02, 2010, 10:47:55 AM »
I don't know what a "real" racer is. Some of my old licenses are posted somewhere on www.cr500G.com. The last few years of my racing career involved AMA/FIM GP Sidecars -- an extremely dangerous form of motorsports. There will be some very exotic scooters participating. Some will go ring-ding-ding, possibly faster than motorcycles of equal displacement? But, just to allay the girly-men fears that have been expressed by some of the "real racers", we are currently shopping for a venue for our 2011 event. We will likely purchase the venue and, once again, operate as we see fit. Hell, who knows, we may even lease the venue out to "real racers"?

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #48 on: September 02, 2010, 12:17:04 PM »
The thirteen year old's spill probably would not have amounted to much.
He was run over by a TWELVE year old. I've worked with a lot of twelve year olds and not too many could handle a 125 at racing speeds.

A scooter event at El Mirage sound like fun.

The only thing wrong with this event is the lack of safety gear required. This isn't the street, it's a racing event. The majority of your racers are going to be slow. But have one guy show up with a turbo 650 held together with galvanized pipe and a half helmet and when (not if) he crashes all racing at El Mirage will be done.

You are failing to see what it took the SCTA years to refine. Yes, Rollie Free did run with skin for safety gear. That was a lot of years ago.

You can't expect normal. You have to look at the worst case. The freedom of the open road means nothing here.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #49 on: September 02, 2010, 12:42:30 PM »
Some will go ring-ding-ding, possibly faster than motorcycles of equal displacement
But, just to allay the girly-men fears that have been expressed by some of the "real racers"

Thats my point exactly.   T shirt, flip flops, a plastic helmet with a fake DOT sticker on the back and you go race.   Reading stuff like that really does allay the fear of the girly-men racers of the SCTA. 
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline pookie

« Reply #50 on: September 02, 2010, 01:03:36 PM »
  Hi Dean of LA, I agree with your view on youngsters racing GP style bikes they need to be older and more experienced so hopefully, the boy that was killed will be the 1st and last one  forever... BUT, the example you used about the safety rules, yes I know that you are being ludicrous to make a point, but Alan and his crew, who are running the show, are NOTa bunch of yahoos, who couldn't hit their ass with both hands... They certainly are NOT going let anyone showing up with something even remotely unsafe run... Not all the brains that are up on safety issues are in the SCTA_BNI.... Point of fact concerning safety at SCTA events at EL Mirage how many spectaters ,or bike riders have gone across the race course when a car has been running.. My memory isn't as good as it use to but a few years ago didn'a five year old kid stray out on the course and almost get hit by a car or  was hit by said car... I'll bet that lay down bike you built and drove at el mirage was REALLY looked at by the safety inspection team, and I know you are a really cautious guy a rule book reader But..........!!!!  I am going to call Rosie at El mirage, she is the boss for BLM and ask for her take on if something happens during this event   will it effect the SCTA . Another thing having the meet so late in the year there is a good chance the lake may just be a lake for real.... Mike R.

idefendm

« Reply #51 on: September 02, 2010, 01:18:06 PM »
Pookie,

You best get some very sound legal advice before you attempt to undermine or interfere with our Federation's relationship with BLM!

alan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 01:20:07 PM by idefendm »

idefendm

« Reply #52 on: September 02, 2010, 01:19:13 PM »
Nortonist 592,

There will be NO flip-flops allowed -- unless they're rine-stone studded with double-thick soles! But do us a favor, save your gas and don't attend unless you feel like like contributing some thing positive to the event, such as volunteering to be a race official.

Alan

Offline pookie

« Reply #53 on: September 02, 2010, 01:27:15 PM »
  Nortinist the examples you used in your last post are TOTAL BULL PUCKIE. Come on , your a smart guy ,go to the 1st page and look at the safety requirements, which by the way are the same requirements the BLM require for folks to ride their bikes all over El Mirage...  Have you seen some of those riders doing 50 or more mph wheelies out on the lake bed.. or kids in 3 cornered pants riding big ol 4 wheelers with the required gear...  I think  your apprehension about what happens on the lake reflects badly on  the SCTA usage....is just totally bogus... Quit being a "NERVOUS NELLIE"    Mike R.  But one thing that has pissed me off is having to pay $90.00 a year and I go out and participate in  1,2, or more clean ups plus other activities...

Offline pookie

« Reply #54 on: September 02, 2010, 01:30:39 PM »
  Alan. please re-read my post to DeanLA I think you miss read.... Mike R.

idefendm

« Reply #55 on: September 02, 2010, 01:32:39 PM »
Pookie,

You're close by in Hesperia. Any chance of getting you to volunteer as a race official? Our security is going to include an off-duty San Bernardino County Sheriff's Deputy, or two, plus non-uniformed personnel. We still need a second radar person, and some one at the end of the course to certify speed tickets at the end of each run.

Alan

idefendm

« Reply #56 on: September 02, 2010, 01:39:50 PM »
Now we haven't received an entry yet for a 650cc Turbo galvanized pipe chassis scooter held together with duct-tape, but the largest displacement entry thus far is a female riding a 2009 Piaggio MP3 500cc!

Offline pookie

« Reply #57 on: September 02, 2010, 01:44:00 PM »
  Alan,  SURE!!!! Send me a PM..I will not talk to Rosie, but she is so good looking, she reminds me of Ann Archer... ZOOOWE WOWEEMike R.

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #58 on: September 02, 2010, 01:52:46 PM »
Thanx, Mike.

I'd prefer to communicate by direct e-mail if that works for you.

Regards,

Alan
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 02:15:51 PM by idefendm »

idefendm

« Reply #59 on: September 02, 2010, 01:54:09 PM »
Mike,

BTW. Scott Hamblin, Chief Radarman, lives in Hesperia. We're all about the same age.

Alan