Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57517 times)

Offline pookie

Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #30 on: September 01, 2010, 12:35:08 AM »
Nortonist et all who are pushing the panic button about this scooter event,at El Mirage.  Scta has nothing to do with managing this event so where is the liiabilty everbody seems to be worried about? If there are problems doesn't it rest on the scooter guys?  BLM has checked these guys out and if they feel thier management and rules are sufficent in the eyes of BLM whats the problem.. I think the event is going to be a lot of fun, and who knows, it may be 1st and last one  or it may go on for several yrs.. I for one will be there...

Offline desotoman

« Reply #31 on: September 01, 2010, 12:39:32 AM »

I'll bet even  Glen TGVOB- and head of the Bonneville Gestapo, along with his "mini me" Mkilgore didn"t know/remember that one...

Mike R.

Mike R.

TGVOB  :? :? :?

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline debgeo

« Reply #32 on: September 01, 2010, 12:41:34 AM »
pookie do you really believe that if someone is hurt it wont effect all racing at El Mirage. Look at the reaction BLM has taken after the off road accident. Whatever happens in any form of racing effects all racing. We must not put our heads in the sand and not be concerned. :cheers:
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline pookie

« Reply #33 on: September 01, 2010, 01:03:35 AM »
   HI Tom,  it means "The Golden Voice of Bonneville".   Mike R.

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #34 on: September 01, 2010, 01:06:21 AM »
Pookie,  Get your head out of the sand.   Racing is racing.  The BLM won't distinguish one from the other.  You have seen their reaction to that dreadful accident a couple of weeks ago.  I never mentioned liability.  The SCTA will have no liability regarding this event.  Judging by the safety standards (which I read as none) the scooter guys are going by there IS a real danger.  I would like to know what these guys are doing for course patrol, crowd control (assuming there is a crowd), etc.  Its pretty well known that if there is an accident at El Mirage outside the racing boundaries at an SCTA event racing will end.  And as I said I don't believe the BLM knows the difference between the SCTA and the scooter guys.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:13:43 AM by Nortonist 592 »
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Kato Engineering

« Reply #35 on: September 01, 2010, 01:09:58 AM »
unfortunatly, any press will be BAD PRESS.

any drop of blood at el-mo will effect racing at other similar venues ECTA...texas... ExCeTra........

most attourneys do very well in covering their own a$$,
 but do nothing for anyone elses concern after ....from ramifications.......

...the just get more business.....!!!!

this view comes from someone that has attourneys in the family...
   I hate to admit that they are related...

..........I would hope that they go find another PLAYGROUND.....

Offline desotoman

« Reply #36 on: September 01, 2010, 01:36:37 AM »
   HI Tom,  it means "The Golden Voice of Bonneville".   Mike R.

Thanks Mike, never heard that before, but very appropriate.

Guys,

For general information the distance they are racing is a half mile. With that said, BLM land is for everyone's use. These people have every right to hold a race on the lakebed. We need to give them a chance, before we jump to conclusions.  I am worried like the rest of you about our raceground, but as long as BLM is the one in control, we have no say. And if they do everything the BLM asks for, we should be covered.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

idefendm

« Reply #37 on: September 01, 2010, 01:44:33 AM »
Ron,

Lawyer-bashing is de rigueur. F-off! I was born and raised in Berdoo. Jetted my road racers at El Mirage in the early sixties. Get a life!

Alan
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:46:45 AM by idefendm »

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #38 on: September 01, 2010, 01:45:15 AM »
And if they do everything the BLM asks for, we should be covered.

Tom G.

And if our engines did everything we ask, we'd all be record holders.

Of course the land is for everyone's use but guilt by association, tarred with the one brush etc. is difficult to put out of you thoughts.

idefendm

« Reply #39 on: September 01, 2010, 01:57:11 AM »
Tue, August 31, 2010 5:38:08 RULE UPDATE; First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, Nov. 21st 2010, El Mirage Dry Lake, CA
To:    

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Entrant / Prospective Entrant,

All previously approved El Mirage Dry Lake race permits, including our's, are being re-evaluated by the Bureau of Land Management. This process is a direct result of the August 15th Soggy Dry Lake calamity that claimed eight lives and injured thirteen spectators.

Within hours of the Soggy Dry Lake calamity we took a proactive approach and responded by implementing a safety Rule establishing a 100-foot safety-zone on either side of the race course, and providing for immediate course closure in the event of a breach.

At the BLM's suggestion we also established a safety Rule regarding fuel containment, fueling and refueling. This is known as self-regulation.

Another tragedy occurred this past Sunday, August 29th, at Indianapolis Motor Speedway. Thirteen-year-old road racer Peter Lentz was critically injured as a result of being run over by another racer. Presumably Peter was wearing a Snell-approved helmet, and armored road racing leathers, gloves and boots. No amount of safety equipment would likely have prevented Peter's untimely death.

This latest tragedy will invariably spark spirited debate whether young teens should be road racing, or perhaps whether they should be restricted to small displacement bikes, such as 50cc and 125cc?

Without entering this debate, and being fully cognizant that motor-scooters running through a speed-trap one-at-a-time present appreciably less risk of injury than road racing motorcycles, we are nevertheless again self-regulating as an alternative to having regulations imposed upon our event. In this regard we have decided to implement the following Rule. This Rule, and others are published at www.motorscooterlandspeedfederation.org/rules.html.

1.O. MINIMUM AGE

Riders must be at least eighteen (18) years of age to compete. Proof of age required by valid driver's license or Passport.

This Rule eliminates four things: (1) the possibility of death or injury to young teenage riders; (2) bereaved parents and families; (3) parental consent forms; and (4) legal waivers.

Thank you for your understanding, continued enthusiasm and competitive spirit.

Sincerely,

Alan Spears,
Scootermeister
« Last Edit: September 01, 2010, 01:58:43 AM by idefendm »

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #40 on: September 01, 2010, 02:01:29 AM »
Ron,

Lawyer-bashing is de rigueur. F-off! I was born and raised in Berdoo. Jetted my road racers at El Mirage in the early sixties. Get a life!

Alan

Alan did you just tell him to F-off!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #41 on: September 01, 2010, 02:27:20 AM »
Cool a lawyer with a potty mouth that's not afraid to use it.... I like this guy

Offline Nortonist 592

« Reply #42 on: September 01, 2010, 02:40:56 AM »
Ron,

Lawyer-bashing is de rigueur.

Alan

I have a neice who is a blood suckin' lawyer in New Jersey but we are very politically correct and we don't do any lawyer bashin'.

Offline mike mendoza

« Reply #43 on: September 01, 2010, 10:26:52 PM »
what is the distance the scooters run a ELMO  Mike :cheers:

Offline pookie

« Reply #44 on: September 01, 2010, 10:45:08 PM »
 Hi Mike, the distance is 1/2 mile.. Check out the web site, all the particulars are covered pretty good..  To get the web site, I think it is on the 1st page of this topic.. Mike R.