Author Topic: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage  (Read 57515 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #105 on: September 08, 2010, 02:46:14 PM »
In 1949 it was a all day trip to Berdoo  from Lomita ( south bay) same with Riverside. Nothing but orange groves and a two lane road. All the memories of the greatest years to be a teen in socal.
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

idefendm

Another kid from Berdoo!
« Reply #106 on: September 08, 2010, 10:01:06 PM »
Sent this date to MSLSF officials:

Gentlepersons,

Please welcome Dennis Rowe, Chief Tech Inspector, to the MSILSF family. He has been a dear personal friend since junior high school, and brings to the table integrity, congeniality and 45+ years of extensive motorcycle experience. Dennis still rides a custom Suzuki GSX-R 1300!

Alan

1.R. TECHNICAL INSPECTION
Before being permitted to race all racers shall submit themselves and their scooter(s) to Technical Inspection in the Tech Inspection Area. Please do not bring more than one (1) Pit Crewperson to Tech. Racers are required to bring their racing apparel, including helmet, goggles, boots and gloves. Scooters will be inspected for compliance with RULES “N”, “P” and “Q”. Racers and scooters passing Tech Inspection will receive a Tech Sticker that will be placed on the scooter by a Tech Inspector. The decision of the Chief Technical Inspector as regards compliance with the aforementioned Rules is final.

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #107 on: September 09, 2010, 04:59:42 AM »
1.H. SYM HD200 EXEMPTION
Notwithstanding fitment of OEM 16" wheels, the SYM model HD200 fits the criteria of a motor-scooter in all other respects and will compete in-class per actual displacement.

What about an Aprilia Sacrebeo?
G

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

idefendm

« Reply #108 on: September 09, 2010, 05:13:46 AM »
We'll exempt the Sacrebo too upon request and receipt of an entry.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #109 on: September 10, 2010, 01:59:52 AM »

Now here's how you do things so that everybody that wants to compete may get a chance. Didn't even take a week to make a decision or produce an answer that satisfies everybody and still remains within the framework of the rules of the event.
 Once again Alan-KUDOS!  :cheers:
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #110 on: September 10, 2010, 02:06:52 AM »

Now here's how you do things so that everybody that wants to compete may get a chance. Didn't even take a week to make a decision or produce an answer that satisfies everybody and still remains within the framework of the rules of the event.

Rifleman,

You should run your LSR scooter and see what it would run... :wink:

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #111 on: September 10, 2010, 07:43:16 AM »

Well , I was really just being a "sandal wearing actually" as I probably will not ship my scarebeo 500 from Aus to compete as i have only just got back from Bonneville and don't think I could really afford (girlfriend says no) to come back so soon.
But thanks Idefndm just the same
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #112 on: September 10, 2010, 09:30:16 PM »
This is how we're going to handle speed-tickets. Transparency, transparency, transparency! This is from our soon-to-be-published Racer's Handbook, Race Day Procedures, paragraph 7, that'll be available for perusal/print-out in pdf. on our website and handed out in printed form on race day.  :roll:

7. Speed Recording.
The Chief Radarman shall record each Racer’s speed, thereafter communicating said speed to the Speed Ticket person positioned beyond the finish line. After passing the Radarman the Racer must immediately begin decreasing speed by rolling off the throttle, down-shifting, braking or a combination thereof. Racer’s shall come to a complete stop at the Finish Line before proceeding to the Speed Ticket Stand to retrieve their Official Speed Ticket. Racers who do not stop to retrieve their Speed Ticket at the end of their run may NOT return to the Speed Ticket Stand, but must instead wait until all competition has ended. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #113 on: September 11, 2010, 03:55:33 AM »
This is how we're going to handle speed-tickets. Transparency, transparency, transparency! This is from our soon-to-be-published Racer's Handbook, Race Day Procedures, paragraph 7, that'll be available for perusal/print-out in pdf. on our website and handed out in printed form on race day.  :roll:

7. Speed Recording.
The Chief Radarman shall record each Racer’s speed, thereafter communicating said speed to the Speed Ticket person positioned beyond the finish line. After passing the Radarman the Racer must immediately begin decreasing speed by rolling off the throttle, down-shifting, braking or a combination thereof. Racer’s shall come to a complete stop at the Finish Line before proceeding to the Speed Ticket Stand to retrieve their Official Speed Ticket. Racers who do not stop to retrieve their Speed Ticket at the end of their run may NOT return to the Speed Ticket Stand, but must instead wait until all competition has ended. NO EXCEPTIONS!

Let your competitors know that sudden throttle closings can cause some very interesting things to happen. Since most of the scoots run centrifugal clutches there shouldn't be too much engine braking to deal with,but let them know the surface on the lakebed can be very slick. I tell folks its like running on a billiard table coated with talcum powder. 'Finesse' is the word of the day. A sudden/hard brake application(especially with the disc equipped scoots) could very easily put someone on their head.

idefendm

« Reply #114 on: September 11, 2010, 04:38:27 AM »
Thank you very much! I will indeed tell them (the petrol-heads), since I have to make a "first run" after the riders' meeting -- per BLM requirements. However, I anticipate a number of vintage Vespas and Lambrettas with "gears". I need sexy red coolant and hydraulic lines for my Kymco S9!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2010, 04:54:38 AM by idefendm »

idefendm

First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, El Mirage
« Reply #115 on: September 11, 2010, 11:52:52 AM »
When we drafted Rule 1.N(c) DOT approved helmet, I knew I'd have to purchase yet another helmet if I wanted to wear a half-pot and goggles at El Mirage. This past Thursday I bought an HCI CORSA Retro at MotorSport Scooters, San  Diego. I can't help but wonder though why we banned my Davida, an exact replica of Hailwood's helmet? It worked fine for him. 14 Isle of Man TT victories, 76 GP wins, 9 World Championships, and title "Motorcyclist of the Millenium". It's worked fine for me over the past few years having logged approximately 50,000 miles of freeway riding. I suppose in this day and age of political correctness we must minimize risk to ourselves, and eliminate the potential burden, financial and otherwise, we could become to others? In the olden days when we came unstuck off a racing motorcycle there were often consequences that have been minimized -- almost eliminated -- by modern technology.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #116 on: September 11, 2010, 06:01:45 PM »
When we drafted Rule 1.N(c) DOT approved helmet, I knew I'd have to purchase yet another helmet if I wanted to wear a half-pot and goggles at El Mirage. This past Thursday I bought an HCI CORSA Retro at MotorSport Scooters, San  Diego. I can't help but wonder though why we banned my Davida, an exact replica of Hailwood's helmet? It worked fine for him. 14 Isle of Man TT victories, 76 GP wins, 9 World Championships, and title "Motorcyclist of the Millenium". It's worked fine for me over the past few years having logged approximately 50,000 miles of freeway riding. I suppose in this day and age of political correctness we must minimize risk to ourselves, and eliminate the potential burden, financial and otherwise, we could become to others? In the olden days when we came unstuck off a racing motorcycle there were often consequences that have been minimized -- almost eliminated -- by modern technology.

Well,I wouldn't exactly say that you 'used' the Davida,you wore it. Had you actually used it,ya might have experienced the shortcomings of its older technology!  :-D
 There are a lot of great helmets sold in Asia and Europe that can be had through the internet. They don't have a DOT cert but are certified to the higher ECE,TUV and BSI Euro standards. Since this is your gig,your decision,unless BLM requires a DOT cert.

idefendm

« Reply #117 on: September 12, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »
Well, to keep the hypocracy to a dull roar I decided to bite the bullet and leave by Davida home for this event. Tain't right to require the boyz n' girls to wear DOTs and then make a run with my Davida.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #118 on: September 12, 2010, 03:39:08 AM »
Well, to keep the hypocracy to a dull roar I decided to bite the bullet and leave by Davida home for this event. Tain't right to require the boyz n' girls to wear DOTs and then make a run with my Davida.

Well,this all boils down to "If ya got a $10.00 melon,wear a $10.00 helmet" scenario.  I applaud your efforts to gear costs down,but the reality is that a 1/2 hat is a little under spec. IMHO a DOT dirt bike helmet with a chinbar should be a minimum requirement.
 Myself,I've always worn full face. But that wasn't because of the perceived 'safety' of it,but rather the fact I took a Japanese Beetle to the forehead at about 80mph before the PRK(Peoples Republik of Kalifornia)mandated helmet use. Damn near took me off the bike.
 Besides,in a 'road rage' scenario,theres nothing like going up against and adversary that just doesn't grasp the fact that you're wearing a full face helmet,gloves,leather jacket and boots. Or at least they don't grasp it until the second or third blow! :evil:

idefendm

We're gaining on it.
« Reply #119 on: September 12, 2010, 12:52:10 PM »
A nice sunny day in the low 70s? Relaxed atmosphere? Hopefully no chaos!

----- Forwarded Message ----
Sent: Sun, September 12, 2010 5:44:53 AM
Subject: REVISED UPDATE; First Annual Motor-Scooter Land-Speed Trials, Nov. 21st 2010, El Mirage Dry Lake, CA

Dear Entrant / Prospective Entrant,

We now have 16 entries, and 20 pre-entries (active entries). Some of the pre-entrants have indicated they intend to enter more than one scooter. If all of the pre-entries actually enter, we're probably approaching the 40 entry mark. Our goal for this first event is 50 scooters, and 300 spectators. So, if you're pre-entered please complete your entry asap, and encourage a friend to enter.

Thank you for your enthusiasm and competitive spirit.

Sincerely,

Alan Spears,
Scootermeister

#123 Alan S. ~ Kymco/Malossi S9 70cc
#124 Patrick O. ~ Vespa 150cc
#124 Patrick O. ~ Vespa 200cc
#126 Jeffrey C. ~ Gilera 175cc
#126 Jeffrey C. ~ Vespa 400cc
#127 Richard N. ~ Kymco 250cc
#130 Kathleen H. ~ Piaggio MP3 500cc
#133 Lewis L. ~ Salsbury 250cc Sidecar
#133 Lewis L. ~ Zundapp 200cc