Author Topic: most dedicated spectator?  (Read 4787 times)

Offline V8Pinto

most dedicated spectator?
« on: August 24, 2010, 09:08:54 PM »
Was it just Salt in my eyes or did I actually see a guy pushing what appeared to be his wife in a wheelchair from West Wendover out to the Long Course starting line and later the pits - EVERY DAY of Speedweek???

I saw them in town, then later by the frontage road, then another day on the starting line, and yet another day push/wheeling towards the pits.  On another night, I saw them on what appeared to be the return trip (headed back West on main street in Wendover).

Did anyone else see this?
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline nrhs sales

Re: most dedicated spectator?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 09:11:39 PM »
Wow if that really happend what a story that is. Please somebody verify this with pictures too!  This is the kind of good stuff we need more of.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 09:24:52 PM »
I saw 'em. It really happened. Wayno

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:25:30 PM »
My parents pointed the couple out to me and said they saw them on the access road.  I saw them in Wendover and on the Salt.  My crew chief saw them at various places.

This is really cool if somebody else also saw!
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline OhioFatboy

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2010, 09:26:42 PM »
no it was real, they came up to us in the montego parking lot when we were working on the liner, then they were on the starting line the next day

Offline biglady112

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2010, 09:28:44 PM »
We saw that too. The first time we saw them was in the middle of the access road. Way more effort than I would put in. And I am a runner.
1947 Dodge Pickup

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 09:39:34 PM »
Ya but -- maybe she didn't want to go.
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 09:43:02 PM »
Stan you are a bad man!!!

Offline V8Pinto

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 10:04:07 PM »
Stan that was "heka funny" as my kids say
Shane
V8 Pinto on juice
Hayabusa on the brain
Twin-Turbo F150 4x4

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2010, 10:14:39 PM »
I was admiring them when I saw them headed toward the startline from the pits
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Buickguy3

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2010, 10:44:03 PM »
    They came by the Salt Cat Racing pit in the hottest part of the day on , Tuesday, and were looking for the "Brooks & Dunn" pit to get a picture that they had with them signed. Wouldn't take any water and headed off in their quest. Saw them the next day pushing off from "The Bend" headed for Land's End. I also noticed that the wheel chair passenger didn't have any foot rests, and held her feet a couple of inches off of the ground all of the trip. They both have to be in pretty good shape . ???????????????????????????? Don't know the story.  :|
I keep going faster and faster and I don't know why. All I have to do is live and die.
                   [America]

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2010, 11:14:51 PM »
I heard from someone "kind of" in the know, that this couple were offered rides and food but refused. It was said they were looking for sympathy and money. She didn't want to be there but he insisted. Was told they were scamming people like a "begging homeless person" who gets in his car and drives home.
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline cheeto racer

« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2010, 11:37:16 PM »
We saw them as well first spotting was on Thursday (aug 12) he was pushing her by the Peppermill and she was crying.....later saw them between Salt Flats cafe heading towards the bend at a fast clip...later saw up by the starting line.... that wheelchair got alot of milage that week....wonder what kind of tires they had.... :-o

Offline 754

« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2010, 01:47:29 AM »
Man that is hard to believe.. Did they pull a water tank to stay hydrated.. :-o

We had a girl with us at Bub one year that tried to walk out from downtown twice... she finally took a ride

Pretty harsh out there once you are on the Salt...I actually thought of starting a thread asking if anyone walked out from town..
 And often wondered what befell the first white man explorers that tried to cross that white expanse..

Offline RICK

« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2010, 08:46:37 AM »
i'm thinking that was the 'Donner party', and we all know how that ended up.

Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.