Author Topic: One quick rant about SW.  (Read 19158 times)

Offline 836dstr

Re: One quick rant about SW.
« Reply #30 on: August 25, 2010, 01:05:46 PM »
At El Mirage the BLM does make a minimal enforcement effort, and does have the power to issue citations.

The presence of a roving BLM vehicle might deter some of the West side speeding. I did not see any BLM presence all week, nor did I see the well publicized Police from Lands End to the Bend. While driving down the road @ 45 I did have people pass me doing at least 60.

Crowd control is certainly a SCTA/BNI issue. Insurance and Permit costs and restrictions could hurt us in the long run. As mentioned above, education of the fans would be most effective. Make them read the rules and sign a document that they understand and will abide by them or be forced off the Salt. A few are causing pproblems for the many.

Tom

Offline 836dstr

« Reply #31 on: August 25, 2010, 02:06:16 PM »
SCTA/BNI Members,

I was outside washing salt off stuff and had to make another post.

FIRST: The SCTA/BNI officials and volunteers did a GREAT job running the Event! They are to be commended!

Second, as members and racers we need to step forward and be self-policing when we see someone doing something wrong say something to the person(s) that are endangering others, hampering race activities, etc.

Our race packets contain two Crew stickers. Give one to each entrant and let them sing up for a second one if they truely need it. I know that some cars require larger crews, but I think a lot of these stickers wind up in the hands of friends and wantabee crew members that have nothing to do with racing activities.

Johny HN's, see what you started! Well, back to salt removal.

Tom

Offline 38Chevy454

« Reply #32 on: August 25, 2010, 04:23:48 PM »
Way too many non race vehicles driving on the return road. This should be tow or push cars and race cars only  IMO.

I also sensed a significant increase in the number of vehicles driving back and forth down the return road this year.  I agree it should be race cars and push/tow vehicles or SCTA official vehicles only.  Way too many ATVs, motorcycles and non-pitpass vehicles driving in that area.  People driving down from the pits/end of the track/vendor area can use the regular entrance/exit road to get down to the starting line.

I do want to give thanks to the volunteers that made Speedweek run as good as it did this year.
I used to have a handle on life, but it broke.....

High Quality USA-made bear claw style latches CHEAP! Now including install kits also!
buy here directly:  www.hotrodlatches.com

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #33 on: August 25, 2010, 07:39:44 PM »
  As I posted on this subject about three weeks ago, we all know what the problems are, but no one, lest myself, has produced any way to police the pits, staging or starting line.
  This year was by far the worst as we had at least twice the amount of spectators as any of my previous sixteen years on the salt.
  I will talk with my club president about mandatory handouts at lands end, and hope the SCTA will add some terse wordage about abusing the priveleges that are currently being abused.
  The problem with SCTA handling enforcement is that they can't.
  The problem with BLM handling enforcement is that we don't want to give them a reason to stop granting our permits.
  I would ask that everyone of us who has raised a complaint to spend some time working on a realistic answer short of hiring a goon squad.
  Just remember that most of the moped/quad riders probably come from our own pits.
  Short or erecting a electric fence (which may be the answer) how to control it I don't know.
  One final thing.  How someone is able to park a airplane in our pits is beyond me.  There is NO EXCUSE FOR THE SCTA TO ALLOW A AIRPLANE UNDER POWER TO ENTER OUR PITS.  And, this is the second concecutive meet where this has been allowed.      Bob
Bob Drury

Offline jdincau

« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2010, 09:02:42 PM »
What were the orange windshield stickers with the black bands at the ends that they were selling at the SCTA trailer for?
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline don

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2010, 09:03:46 PM »
Lets try this again.
Can specators purchase buy pits passes get into the pits?
If so, this should stop

Offline RichFox

« Reply #36 on: August 25, 2010, 09:17:10 PM »
To the best of my knowledge anybody with $10 can buy a orange pit pass. Which may be a problem. But if you only give pit passes to people with a entry what happens to someone who may have run for 30 years, can't really walk much at all. And wants to visit with old friends? Maybe a orange pit pass should come with membership like the pin.

Offline Bob Drury

« Reply #37 on: August 25, 2010, 09:30:42 PM »
  Guys, listen up.  Flourescent flagging tape will never stop people from going where they want.
  Most of the offenders HAD NO STICKERS.  Without enforcement, stickers don't mean a darn thing.
  No one wants to spend their time at Speedweek playing traffic cop.  We shouldn't have to.
  Unless we become more pro-active at educating the INCOMING TRAFFIC ONTO THE SALT, this trend will only worsen.
  Somehow, we need to help Linda and her troops to FORCE FEED IF NECESSARY the rules.
  And as much as I hate to say it, maybe we do need a roving patrol to take down liscense numbers, and car descriptions to give to Linda (etal) to deney them future entrance.  
  Anyone who has ever recieved a sticker from me (pit crew) knows upfront whats going to happen if someone complains about a pit vehcle with my number on it on their car.
  Everything is spelled out clearly in the letter you recieve from the SCTA after entering a meet.  I don't think many entrants pay any attention to the parts about driving in the pits or at least don't pass it along to those they furnish passes to.                        Bob
Bob Drury

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #38 on: August 25, 2010, 10:48:25 PM »
We need to remember 99.9% of the workers are volunteers. Maybe we just need to bite our tongues and have a good time. Just trying to look at the brite side.
Rick   :roll:
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline 754

« Reply #39 on: August 26, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »
put numbers on the pit passes
 One warning, and next time.. you are banned for the rest of the event.

Offline mkilger

« Reply #40 on: August 26, 2010, 12:22:29 AM »
 raise the spectator entry fee to 40 bucks a day and have a parking lot they all park in. no driving around in cars bikes go carts motor homes ect.   set up your shade and chairs in the spectator viewing space.  spectators must walk in the pits. then maybe the racers can find rooms to stay in. one more thing stop the Rat Rod party at the hotel. sorry just my 2 cents if  (they dont like it stay home) its really not a spectator event anyway.  it would only take one kid to get run over and killed , and the Bonneville as we know it would be over there is no brite side.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 12:27:38 AM by mkilger »

Offline BudJ63

« Reply #41 on: August 26, 2010, 02:55:40 AM »
 Just a thought. You have a large uniformed alliance that has just become part of Land Speed Racing. How about offering the Boy Scouts of America free attendance in exchange for a day patroling and keeping people in check.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:01:09 AM by BudJ63 »

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #42 on: August 26, 2010, 06:56:51 AM »
Just a thought. You have a large uniformed alliance that has just become part of Land Speed Racing. How about offering the Boy Scouts of America free attendance in exchange for a day patroling and keeping people in check.  

In reality I think this is a great idea. I believe the scouts already get free entrance don't they, but throw in a free "staff/patrol" t-shirt and I bet they'd do it just for the shirt. Yeah I know that's more money but it shouldn't be hard to source. Heck an extra buck per race vehicle entry is at least $500! An extra buck per spectator? Not that I want to make the Scouts work, but it is somewhat in line with that they're about.
Great idea, you should pitch it to the management. (IE email them!)
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline manifest

« Reply #43 on: August 26, 2010, 10:41:05 AM »
Its not a spectator sport?  OK lets just not let anyone into the pits or ask anyone to come check out our cars and have a good time so we can act like we are better than everybody else.  Better yet lets just load up the salt into dump trucks and take it to the middle of the Utah, 100 miles from anything so we can race by ourselves.  Oh wait, it's already in the middle of nothing.  All the people that show up do it because they are interested in the sport and have a love for speed.  We as racers need to remember what is like not to have a car running on the salt and how bad it would suck not to be able to enjoy hot rods, customs, race cars, motorcycles, and planes.  All of which are built and being used for something completely more than intended.  A '32 was never supposed to drive across country and back or go over 250mph, but guess what?  It happens year after year.  Look at some of the old pics on the landracing main site, youll find planes lined up on the salt.  Its all about having a good time and there just need to be a bit more effort put into informing the public ( and the crews) of the appropriate manners. Thats just my rant and I know next to nothing.  But I do know I'm glad I have had the privilege to make it from TN two years in a row to experience something that not even 1% of the car community has.

Offline Dreamweaver

« Reply #44 on: August 26, 2010, 10:54:12 AM »
"not a spectator event" :mrgreen:

"Your" sport/activity would soon die out if no new blood could ever get on the salt and become addicted.

Oh ya, don't forget, you are playing on public land.