Author Topic: Jack Dolan on rules  (Read 31034 times)

Offline desotoman

Re: Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #75 on: February 25, 2008, 02:03:17 PM »
Jack,

Since you are not happy with the way the system works: Question?

1. Are you ready to step up to the plate and volunteer the time and effort required to get the rules straitened out?

2. Are you willing to work with the SCTA on this matter and be a part of the solution?

Thanks,
Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #76 on: February 25, 2008, 02:52:06 PM »
As always, and it continues to this day.
I do know how it works.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #77 on: February 25, 2008, 03:08:56 PM »
Hypothetically, if someone sends another person a bunch of emails and the receiving person repeatedly doesn’t respond, shouldn’t the sender assume the received doesn’t want to.?...
Personally(and hypothethetically as you say), I would think the sender would assume the (non)receiver never received those mails.

Perhaps it is time to go back to something that does work.
Or maybe even go forward to something that has proven to work in the past if deemed faster?

NOTE: Study this entire chapter, it is going to be on the test.
Please administer the test, the tops of my size 10-1/2 cheat sheets are covered in scribbles and I have post it notes everywhere!
Todd

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #78 on: February 25, 2008, 03:31:35 PM »
Forgive me if this has been posted/answered already & please feel free to just point me to the appropriate thread.

We keep pointing (or poking?) people in different directions in here. Right now I'm just trying to understand, generally & specifically, what we have to work with. This is an excerpt from the scta-bin.org site in reference to rule changes:

SCTA Rulebook Procedures:

The SCTA has a formal and specific rule change process in place. Below is a simplified summary of that process.

1. Rule change requests can be submitted to the SCTA office by using the online form, by email and may also be sent to the SCTA office via USPS (snail mail).

• SCTA Office address is:  P.O. Box 10, Orosi CA. 93647.

2. The Rules Coordinator reviews the request for completeness and forwards the request to the appropriate Tech Chairman and vehicle committee for review and recommended action. There are committees for each class of vehicle, (e.g. Coupes & Sedans, Special Construction, Motorcycles) and for Technical requirements.

3. At the November or December SCTA Board meeting, all Rules Committee approved rule change requests are individually presented to and voted on by the SCTA board. The board approved changes are posted on the SCTA website and submitted to the Rulebook Coordinator for inclusion in the next years rulebook. 

So my understanding of what I'm reading is below with quotes as found on the scta-bni.org website. I've imbedded my questions in red:
A) Rules Coordinator (Who is this person(s)?)
B) Tech Chairman (Who is this person(s)?)
C) Vehicle Committee (Who are these people other then below?)
  • Motorcycle Committee Chair - Russ O'Daly
  • Chief Motorcycle Inspector - Tom Evans (is this a rep of the "Technical Requirements" above?)
D) SCTA Board

There are five officers that comprise the SCTA board (President, Vice President, Secretary, Treasurer and Sergeant at Arms)
  • President - Roy Creel
  • Vice President - Don Ferguson III
  • Secretary - Warren Bullis
  • Treasurer - Judy Sights
  • Sergeant at Arms - Bobby Sykes
    Those five elected officials appoint the remaining board members from the general membership.
    To be an SCTA member, you must be a member of one of the twelve affiliated clubs.  Each club is entitled to a certain number of representatives to the board according to club size.  These representatives attend all board meetings and express the concerns and wishes of the club membership. All of the rules, policies, etc. that govern the SCTA are adopted by board vote.
    The BNI is a separate entity under SCTA board control with their own bylaws and subordinate board.  The BNI is charged with the responsibility of planning and organizing the Bonneville Salt Flat events and coordinating all vendors and media.  The SCTA actually controls the Speed Week event under their rules and bylaws.

The SCTA board appoints the BNI officers, who must also be SCTA board members.  All decisions made by the BNI officers are done by consensus. The BNI does not make rules or policy; this is all done by the SCTA board.  To become a member of the BNI, you simply purchase a yearly membership. This membership gives you the right to participate in any of the Bonneville Salt Flat events sanctioned by the SCTA. The SCTA reserves the right to revoke membership to the BNI at any time.
  • BNI Board Chairman - Mike Waters
  • BNI Board Vice Chairman - Roy Creel
  • BNI Board Secretary - Don Ferguson III
  • BNI Board Treasurer - Steve Toller
  • BNI Board - Mike Cook
  • BNI Board - Jim Dunn
  • BNI Board - Russ Eyres

I would appreciate input, clarification, additions or corrections to the facts. I really don't care about all the personality difficulties involving these or any other folks involved with or reading this. I just want to understand who the people are that will be reviewing the rule change request I intend to submit.

Thanks!
Deb
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol:

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
« Reply #79 on: February 25, 2008, 06:27:28 PM »
Forgive me if this has been posted/answered already & please feel free to just point me to the appropriate thread.

Deb do you get a SCTA rule book??  Most of the positions you ask about are noted towards the rear of the book with contact info for those people.  A lot of them have held the same positions for a number of years, like our own Dan Warner, and some change, like Dan has decided to do.  I assume that the new rule book that should be out soon will have the current contacts in it. 

c ya,

Sum

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #80 on: February 25, 2008, 10:12:05 PM »
Thanks Sum.
Seeings as my last SCTA rule book is dated 2003 (when we last tried to make it out there)
and the 2008's aren't available yet...
Can someone fill in the blanks for me based on the last published list?
Thanks!
Deb

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #81 on: February 26, 2008, 02:56:41 AM »
Hey deb
its kinda a bunch of stuff to type so i hope my scans come out big enough....in adition to the published names, all of the club presidents are advisory board members....as for the motorcycle side of things, in adition to the 10 names listed there are advisory members that Russ sends out emails for responces... i dont know how many people Russ seeks input from but in an 05 emails he CC'd 11 names...in a nov 07 email the amount of names increased to 24... contrary to what some people lead you to think, Russ and Tom dont just pull rule change out of a hat.... they seek input from alot of people....think about it, if you send in a rule request, it is sent out to 15 or 20 people for input, then if half of those people respond in a timely manor you have a bunch to review, then you will probably have at least another 5 or 10 email responces to make, so by the time it is all said and done the rule guy has probably typed 25 or 30 emails...a lot of work....
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008, 03:01:43 AM by 1212FBGS »

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #82 on: February 26, 2008, 03:04:52 AM »
one more pix

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #83 on: February 26, 2008, 07:22:37 AM »
I don't love you Kent.
Todd

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #84 on: February 26, 2008, 01:24:45 PM »
 :cry:

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #85 on: February 26, 2008, 03:09:03 PM »
Don't sweat it Kent, there are days he doesn't love me either!  :evil:

Thanks for the scans, just what I was looking for!  :-)

...off to study...

Deb

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #86 on: February 26, 2008, 03:25:57 PM »
Lets invent something and call it a  "CD".
I bet we could sell them, and even make some folding money to reduce the impact of the rising entry fees.
Sponsors would line up to drop money into the project as well to enhance the net. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline JimL

« Reply #87 on: March 09, 2008, 01:26:31 AM »
Question about the 15 degree steering stops.  Can we set the bike up so they are quick removeable for getting it turned around, on/off the trailer, etc.?  .....or do they have to be welded solid in place.  The new project may come in a little long, so I'm scratching my head (and too much hair gone already....help me out, here!)

Thanks for any comment.

JimL

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #88 on: March 09, 2008, 01:49:11 AM »
look in the build diaries--- not just a wheel on a stick ---bottom of page 5 for some adj. steering stops   willie buchta