Author Topic: Jack Dolan on rules  (Read 31031 times)

landracing

Jack Dolan on rules
« on: December 01, 2005, 11:11:15 AM »
Jack,

Going thru the archives here you seem to give alot of critisism on the motorcycle rules mainly (some car) and I have left myself to wounder what do you think the rules should be? Should they change, stay the same, reduce classes, more classes. It seems to me that you are a very bright individual with alot to offer with experience and knowledge to the racers. Maybe you are the salvation for the motorcycle guys?? You seem to have a good grasp on what the rules are and why they are like they are. That kind of person is coming hard to find these days...

Why are you not part of the advisory or motorcycle rules committee that Russ ODaley has put together. seems to be we could benefit you in the groups sharing information and keeping the knowledge to the motorcycle group???? Were you asked to be part of the process???

Jon

dwarner

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2005, 12:14:48 PM »
The response will be ...?

DW

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2005, 01:18:30 PM »
Jack was the motopsyco guy for a few years and also the FIM guy. I think he would have some good ideas on how to solve the problems. and we should listen.Rus Odaley is trying really hard and I hope he will be able to please most of the people, He is in a tough spot. I think we need to revert back to the 2000 rules and dump all of this convoluted crap between A and M classes. but hey that's just my thought. the real deal is that I will adjust to whatever the rules may be and I'll show up and race.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2005, 04:34:43 PM »
I am as vocal as anybody that you will ever see and speak with the courage of my convictions.
The poly tricks are what turn me off about various things and I am not hesitant to speak on that.
The hidden agenda and "Secret Hand shake" stuff really sets me off.
More publication of what is going on will generate some problems in the beginning, but that will soon settle down with the better job by all that exposure generates.
You can lie, cheat, and steal, but don't let me catch you.
I have an idea how I think it should work and the best measure of that is not everybody will agree. Learning from mistakes should be cumulative not repeated.

WAIT!1 ARE YOU JUST FISHING ?
Strike everything after "RECORD".  :wink:

FR's only friend
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline 1212FBGS

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2005, 04:36:41 PM »
come on Jack...
how can we fix the A and M chassis problem?
Kent

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It depends
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2005, 05:07:56 PM »
We spent the whole last night talking about you.
To fix things you can start by common seance enforcement and simplification of the M rules and let the A class be run what you brung within the bounds of power type and long established safety. 8)
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline 1212FBGS

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2005, 07:58:43 PM »
OK it was my anniversary and my wife wouldn't let me come out and play, how did the rules meeting go? ya gonna be at the SDRC meeting tonight?

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
The poly tricks
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2005, 08:07:49 PM »
The erection is still pending even a month late and that will determine the future.
I will be there at 6pm to wrap up from last night. 8)

Offline 1212FBGS

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2005, 08:08:38 PM »
Ok I'm going to pick up Mooreland now and I'm on my way down

dad land

lsr rule questions
« Reply #9 on: December 07, 2005, 11:19:24 AM »
i have been racing at the salt only a few years and i am truly in love with the place. i have come to the conclusion that some rules, even though i do not understand them or the reason why.....have been adopted due to some incident that i may not be  knowledgeable enough on even to comment on. but they are there for our safety.
(the safety side).my perception.
that said: some of the strictly class rulings are confusing to me.......why?
the vehicle i used to set a record....was not compliant the following year to run in the same class........ALTERED.
i personally like altered as it seemed to be an open class  concerned with speed......especially after running production and the strict confines of that class which seems understandable.
but living on the right side of the country it is prohibitive for me to attend the meetings...........and i really want to join a club on the left side and it would give me an excuse to visit (volunteer as need be) the dry lake and help anyway i can.
but back to the point!- I LOVE LSR RACING! and when i get me rule book this year I'll make what alterations are req. so that i can race,hoping that the committee in it's wisdom will get us squared away and preserve the intent of our sport which to me is to embrace creative thinking and allow the racers to think/race outside the box of the conventional beaten path and test our theories in the real world conditions.
it's just that i hate just "throwing my hands up" but giving my situation and wanting to race.........i will do what I've got to do to be legal and get on the track.
i would also hope that in my small way.i may add to the sport i love so very much and never detract from it.
dad land

Offline Sumner

• Global Moderator
  • Blanding, Ut..a small dot in the middle of nowhere
    • http://purplesagetradingpost.com/sumner/sumnerindex.html
Re: lsr rule questions
« Reply #10 on: December 07, 2005, 01:30:47 PM »
Quote from: dad land
that said: some of the strictly class rulings are confusing to me.......why?
the vehicle i used to set a record....was not compliant the following year to run in the same class........ALTERED.

I would be interested in you explaining why or what was changed in the rules to not make it not compliant.

c ya, Sum

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It just ain't right !
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 05:37:22 AM »
Quote from: Sumner
Quote from: scott guthrie
Dad Land's "Vehicle" was a Harley.

Guess that makes more sense :( .

c ya, Sum

Heard in the Wind,
"HDs otta be shot.
 Oh, they were, never mind."

johnrobinson

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2006, 08:58:34 AM »
I've watched the rules changes for several years now, gradual changes in the car  rules from 1991, more drastic bike rule changes from my beginning of racing on motorcycles in 2000. I have seen the rules change, for better or worse? perhaps. If we went back to 2000 bike rules, there could be no difference between altered and modified classes, as building to the rules edge of modified sorta made the bike look like an altered. right now 2006, the altered and modified do have differences, but back then, all I needed to do to change class, was to raise the seat height. I do understand the bikers' opposition, as I also was caught by the rule changes that restricted both altered and modified in 2002 and 03 and 04 and 05....however, in fairness, although I might have written the changes with more notice, and included reasons and input from the racers, 2006 rules seem better, although as we have seen on this board, there still could be changes made..... as I don't have a rule book handy, are cars restricted to only one class per year? or are bikes singled out with this rule of not being allowed to change class.....and why? seems to me the fee helps the organizations' bottom line.....it has always been my feeling that  if I were to drop a wallet on the Salt, it would be returned intact, as the Salt racers are basically honest. we seem to be a self regulated group, for the most part, needing only guidelines, unlike nascar, which is soon to begin racing generic cars to offset the cheating that goes on there....my belief is that,  we race only for personal glory, and bragging rights, and should not be treated as though we would cheat at every corner....safety, yes, those rules are needed, however, as has been pointed out here, there seems a fine line between some of the bike rules, common sense, and the desire to maintain a dynasty, as these are at opposite ends of the spirit of some rules and classes.....

Offline Bob Drury

Rules
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2006, 10:55:57 AM »
John, If you think thats the only rules mess, check out my posts from last week under Classic Lakesters.  I don't blame the rule makers, but I hope to get a clarification, and may try to have the rule (rules?) changed, or at least modified affecting the Classic classes. Bob Drury
Bob Drury

dwarner

Jack Dolan on rules
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2006, 11:58:20 AM »
What dynasty is being guarded? Bob, I'm going to answer your message this afternoon. Busy weekend out here, Winter Nationals and the constant decision making regards the color of shorts to wear, way too sunny for February.

DW