Author Topic: Info on Wendover / Speed Week / traffic / stores / phones etc. needed, please  (Read 5435 times)

Offline don

Isn't Costco and  Sam's Club members only places? Which means you will need to be a member to get in and buy anything there? Which I do not believe will help Octane. If he reads this after he lands.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
They allow a guest day pass at Sam's. not sure about Costco.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF

Have you made rental car arrangements?  
..yep
Do you need a ride from the airport?
..no thanks
When will you be here?
Arrive Thursday night. Sleep over in SLC. Pick up van Friday morning.
Get bike through customs Friday ( knock on wood )--------> da'Salt
Are you excited?.....
You bet

.-)

Thank you for all the excellent and detailed info ! ! !
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 04:07:34 AM by octane »
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline Peter Jack

Good Luck with the travels Lars! :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

Pete

Offline jimmy six

754..The GPS is for finding places you are not familiar with the area you are travelling thru. ie: costco, wall mart etc. I still use maps but find the Garmin GPS (with traffic) invaluable when my wife and I travel....................................... :?
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline dw230

JD,

I don't need a GPS. Travel to two places, Bonneville and home. I do change up my Bonneville trip once in a while. There are only two routs. As my father said ..."point A to point B, thats all you need to know."

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 754

My second trip to BUB was in a truck in 08..
 With my brother and a borrowed GPS..

Which if he actually watched the road and roadsigns. as much as he watched the GPS..would have been fine..

Luckily in Utah, it did not work..  Had a bit of a sibling spitting match, finding the drags in SLC.. I could not read map/relay info..as fast as he was driving..
 I tried to explain the concept to him, of looking at the map together..BEFORE departing on the next leg of the journey..

They both work, they both have their place, but I dont feel the need to use GPS..

Some of the coolest things/places/people I have found on the road.. are when you stop sometimes to ask directions.. its all part of the flavour of the journey.. and I would not trade that for anything..
 Besides even if you lost your way, you may find something far more worthwhile than your original destination!.. maybe its just fate.. and meant to be..

Offline joeshaul

• New folks
1...there's some talk here on difficult traffic situation going to Wendover due to road-work.
Not knowing the local roads etc. : does it affect driving from SLC to Wendover ?

2...anyone know a good place to buy hardware and camping gear (basic stuff: air madras and sleeping bag etc.)  in SLC
( or maybe Wendover even)

3...there's a hardware store in Wendover, right ?!
How well stocked is it.
Silly question I know, but I mean:
 like do they have metric nuts and bolts and consumables like engine oil ?
Is there an auto-parts store in Wendover ?

4...is engine oil available on the track/pits

5...is there a place to dispose used engine oil ?

6...is there a place in Wendover where one can get online ?

7...can one buy a pre-paid hi-speed-connection phonecard in USA/Wendover
so I can get on-line via my Iphone ?

8...can one buy a 'normal' pre-paid (cell) phone card in Wendover so I
can thereby have an US phone-number while there ?

9...I've bought a pre-entry from someone who couldn't make it.
Will I run his number or will I be assigned a new ?
( He was supposed to run a bike, just like I am, so I guess it's a bike-number ( 717B ))

All help and info is highly appreciated !!!

Thanks.

1.  In Wendover itself, the road construction will not be a factor.  Wendover is a very small town, with 99% of the businesses being on Wendover Blvd.  We have one stoplight and a few stop signs.  There was some roadwork done on Wendover Blvd, but it is mostly complete now.  They had closed some of the freeway exits and stuff to repave the roads, and some of the lanes on the boulevard.  I just got back to Wendover from a trip from Missouri, there was road construction all throughout the country as part of the Obama funding. 

2.  Salt Lake will be your best bet for camping supplies.  If you're willing to travel a bit, there's a sporting goods place known as Cabella's in Lehi, UT that every outdoorsman loves, it's a bit out of the way though.

3.  There is a hardware store here (A&I Hardware, formerly Hardware House changed names due to a name copyright).  I don't recall seeing much in the way of oils and such there, they don't have the selection of a Menards/Home Depot/Lowes, but most common bolts, nuts, etc they should have covered.  Pricewise they're probably a bit higher than what you're used to paying, but I do not believe the owner does any real price gouging for speed week.  They're part of the "Do-It-Best" chain of hardware stores. 

Smiths Grocery Store also has some hardware and electrical items and may be a bit cheaper.  Unsure if they stock oil.  I usually deal with the hardware store though as the owners do business with me (I make signs and banners and such). 

Carquest is right at the end of town on the Utah side, the hardware store is on the opposite end of town on the Nevada side (~5 miles) across the street from Smiths Grocery Store.  Glad to hear other people are praising the owner, he's a good man and is now our mayor on the Utah side. 

4.  Don't know this, I just live in Wendover and have only been out on the salt a handful of times during events. 

5.  S&R Auto of Wendover will take used oil, they're in between the Western Motel and Days Inn up an alley. 

6.  There are a few places to get online.  I believe the trucker's lounge offers a free hotspot.  I know the Quality Inn (formerly EconoLodge) doesn't secure theirs.  Quality Inn has an access point right above the main lobby, and at the back two corners of the motel (I've had to do some work on em before).  The Days Inn never used to secure as well, but unsure if they have changed it at all since changing owners.  Worst case scenario, you can stop by my shop (Specialty Gifts & Designs inside the Western Motel) and I'll enable my wireless for temporary use and do a couple of printouts on the house if needed. 

7&8.  Smith's might offer something like that, but I've honestly never looked.  Will look next time I'm at the store (probably Tomorrow when their next sale ad starts). 

9.  No idea, I just live here!

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
Thanks you all !
...and thanks Joeshaul for your kind offer !

Now back to the last frantic travel preparations.

See you !
"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery