Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1032386 times)

Offline BoredAndStroked

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #990 on: March 11, 2012, 10:47:26 AM »
Ahhhhhhhhhhhhh - a bright and sunny Sunday morning . . . feeling pretty solid once again.    Time to head out to the shop and cleanup a bit and wait to hear for 'What's Next' from Buddy.   

I'm sure he is very happy to be home with his family and hopefully he gets some much needed rest!   Also, I hope I didn't give him whatever was ailing me . . .  :|
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #991 on: March 11, 2012, 02:14:25 PM »
What a thrash!!! Now for the test, putting this thing on the dyno is really going to be an experience, my bet is that it will not be a one day affair. Dyno testing with this motor has to be done in very planned steps, I hope you have a plan. To much invested to just fire it up and "pull the handle"! Having gone through many start ups, large machine tools, hydraulic systems, race cars and engines I can tell you that there will be some surprises and challenges but well designed and fabricated projects, like the Flat Cad, will be successful in the end. As one of my favorite sayings goes:
"When you learn by experience, the test comes first and the lesson comes next" here's hoping that your "experiences" are all good and your testing is successful. Can't wait to hear the results.

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #992 on: March 11, 2012, 03:14:43 PM »
You're right, Rex-I had three days scheduled with John, one being just for setup.

The engine looks great-definitely looks the part, and Dale did a nice job of waxing eloquent, didn't he?

Often times, the real story is the one that remains untold, and that is definitely the case here! My one and only phone call today was to John Beck, informing him that the engine is not ready, and therefore we won't be bringing it out this week. :cry: :cry:

So, on to plan 'B', or are we on plan 'y' yet?! With the transmission change, and the FlatCad engine going into the car, there is a ton of work to do to be ready for El Mirage in May. New clutch pedal and slave setup, tranny mount, driveline, tranny tunnel, swapping fuel and water to front/back, fuel shutoff, throttle, new mounting spot for water pump and oil pump -list the goes on and on.

In the morning, I'm going to start getting the engine in the car, to get it running. The transmission adapter plate needs modified, to mount the bellhousing, so that is first on the list.

It's late in the game, so it's going to be 'function over form'. Hammers and grinders, cutting torch and welder, cut off saw and drill-no frills, just parts to go racin'!

« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:38:57 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline DND

« Reply #993 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
Hi 38'

Just to add to what Rex was saying, the time just fly's when you are at the Dyno so any parts you wan't to test make sure they fit right and you have triple checked everything you need for the install !!

If you have run before then you know all this, since i'am new to the forum i'am just learning who is doing what and trying to add a little from having done all this dyno suff for years in So cal.

If the Dyno is not too far away you could go and take notes & pics on how they hook up all the stuff, then make your hook up stuff at your shop and it goes together well when you get there.

Being that you are on the clock and paying for that time you wan't to get your engine running as soon as you can, and spend your hours for the testing & tuning time but for some reason the hands on the clock just fly at the dyno and you never get enought done before your time is up.

Hope this little bit helps.

Don

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #994 on: March 11, 2012, 09:51:01 PM »
What a thrash!!! Now for the test, putting this thing on the dyno is really going to be an experience, my bet is that it will not be a one day affair. Dyno testing with this motor has to be done in very planned steps, I hope you have a plan. To much invested to just fire it up and "pull the handle"! Having gone through many start ups, large machine tools, hydraulic systems, race cars and engines I can tell you that there will be some surprises and challenges but well designed and fabricated projects, like the Flat Cad, will be successful in the end. As one of my favorite sayings goes:
"When you learn by experience, the test comes first and the lesson comes next" here's hoping that your "experiences" are all good and your testing is successful. Can't wait to hear the results.

Rex

Thanks for the note Rex . . . it is obvious this isn't your first dyno rodeo!   I'm like you - I think having a semi-controlled test environment (dyno) . . . along with a plan is the best way to approach highly custom efforts such as this.  There will be issues - hopefully ones that we can overcome without 'new parts' - and then there is the ability to baseline the engine, start figuring out what fuel it needs, what advance it needs and how it responds to changes.  It needs to have a plan - one based on a guy like John Beck who really knows what he is doing  (as we're newbies!).

With the above said, Buddy has tried to get this engine on the dyno for a few months -- but I could not complete all the work to meet those dates . . . just couldn't be done with the shear amount of work and issues that raise their ugly heads.   This stuff takes 3 times as long as anybody could ever ponder.

Much appreciate the support - hopefully we'll see you on the salt!

B&S

Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #995 on: March 14, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
Well, I returned home from work,and from Dale's, where our 2 day thrash wasn't enough to get the engine far enough along to take to the dyno.

My Brother-in-law Rodger, and I ,spent the day getting the engine and tranny assembled, and 'stuffed' into the car-believe me, stuffed is appropriate!

Now, I have a whole new set of issues to deal with, but nothing that time, and some fab work won't fix.

The water/oil pump pit, but only without the drive pulley! I can either notch the frame, or get a smaller drive pulley. In the morning, I'll call Barnes, and see if we can come up with a setup that will keep the pumps turning at the needed speeds, and fit in the car.

The oil manifold, that feeds the mains, lifters, and dizzy, will have to be relocated and plumbed. It was mounted right where the steering box sits, and there is only 5/8 clearance between the steering box and the block.

The crank was moved up in the block, .027", but we forgot to mention that detail to Pat at Wilcap. The adapter is going to have to be modified, in order to get proper alignment. I talked to Pops29, and the plan is to run the engine/tranny setup by his shop, after we finish on the dyno-THANKS DON!

The biggest issue is the tranny swap I decided was such a great idea-only, it wasn't! The crashbox has a Vertigate shifter on it, and in order to make it fit as is, I'd have to cut about 6" out of the right corner of the seat. That would work, if I wanted to lose a 100 lbs! So, a plate is going to have to be fabbed up, to relocate the shifter, and new shifter rods made.

The pics are crappy, as all I had with me was my cell phone.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #996 on: March 14, 2012, 09:04:39 PM »
Dang, that is 100% bad A$$ looking!  Given everything that was done by edumacated guesswork, we seem to have very little rework - that is fantastic in my book.  I thought that sure as hell the dry sump drive was a dead soldier.  (glad I made it purdy!)

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #997 on: March 14, 2012, 09:09:59 PM »
 :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #998 on: March 14, 2012, 09:13:07 PM »
 (glad I made it purdy!)

Don't worry Dale- I believe in equality, so I've been busy with a grinder, and BIG hammer! :-D

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #999 on: March 14, 2012, 10:57:31 PM »
Terrifyingly beautiful.
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1000 on: March 15, 2012, 07:08:10 AM »
 (glad I made it purdy!)

Don't worry Dale- I believe in equality, so I've been busy with a grinder, and BIG hammer! :-D

I have a picture of you and your BFH in my mind, and it ain't purdy :-o.

Keep slogging Buddy and send us some good quality pictures when you can

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #1001 on: March 15, 2012, 07:55:38 AM »
IF they want good quality images they will just have to come to Bonneville and see it first hand. Until then they are stuck with the teasers.

Jon

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
« Reply #1002 on: March 15, 2012, 03:12:24 PM »
I have a picture of you and your BFH in my mind, and it ain't purdy.  :-o

Buddy don't forget to calibrate your BFH. You can use either thumb!  :-D
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline Skip Pipes

• I hate being bipolar, its awesome!
« Reply #1003 on: March 15, 2012, 07:50:25 PM »
I like the saying that “if it looks nice right, it going to be fast.”

Buddy, that engine is strikingly beautiful!

Skip Pipes
Skip's Garage
Builder of the SUNBEAM ALPINE Police Interceptor

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #1004 on: March 15, 2012, 10:02:52 PM »
NICE, That's the biggest flat Head I ever did see. (In a car that is). Well done Men, Hope she runs like a BAT OUT OF HELL!  :cheers: :cheers:
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8