Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1032020 times)

Offline WOODY@DDLLC

• ECTA made it to AR-Kansas!
    • Design Dreams, LLC
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #945 on: March 02, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

Oh, Woody- I use Duct tape, not Duck tape- I hear it's good for at least 50 MPH more! :-D

Buddy, that's why you need the hot rod Duck tape with flames!  :cheers:
All models are wrong, but some are useful! G.E. Box (1967) www.designdreams.biz

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #946 on: March 02, 2012, 04:01:13 PM »
The reason Jon is asking for HP because the more horsepower you put through the belt the more tension you need. I've used a free Gates program called DesignIQ for figuring out belt lengths and such, they have more complicated free programs for also figuring out required tension and resultant belt stretch that you might want to look into too. It sounds like you already have a good resource for information but I thought I'd let you know.

A while back I asked RCD how they do it and they said they just tighten the hell out of it… Helpful, very helpfull

This is where I say GH and yourself could be correct and may work but not what I would want for consistancy and optimal belt setup for longevity, heat and other issues associated with improper tension on belt. Here is theory - that your version of loose and my version of loose are not the same. You pushing for 1/4" travel is not the same as me pushing for the same distance. What you want is consistancy and a procedure that is repeatable each and every time, no matter who is doing the adjusting. And you do this with frequency... More to come on that later.

Jon

Offline JonAmo

« Reply #947 on: March 02, 2012, 04:05:38 PM »
How much power does it take to drive your blower. I have no idea! It's a teflon stripped, race prepped 6-71. I may be able to get you a better answer after the dyno,but then again-maybe not!

Thanks for looking at this, and offering your expert opinion!

Oh, Woody- I use Duct tape, not Duck tape- I hear it's good for at least 50 MPH more! :-D

I think the manufacture may be able to give you these numbers, or at least a generalized number.

Jon

Offline jl222

« Reply #948 on: March 02, 2012, 10:18:46 PM »
The reason Jon is asking for HP because the more horsepower you put through the belt the more tension you need. I've used a free Gates program called DesignIQ for figuring out belt lengths and such, they have more complicated free programs for also figuring out required tension and resultant belt stretch that you might want to look into too. It sounds like you already have a good resource for information but I thought I'd let you know.

A while back I asked RCD how they do it and they said they just tighten the hell out of it… Helpful, very helpfull

While making over 2300 rear wheel hp on chassis dyno with the 222 car, the video showed the blower belt pulling away
from top pulley. At the time we were tightning it by pulling and pushing on ''toothed'' idler pulley to get it as tight as possible.
 We now slide jack under car, stand a long socket extension on jack,position under nut and tighten the hell out of belt.
  Actually when suspension starts to lift we tighten.

This works for us on our centrifugal blower maybe to much leverage for you guys.
  Get the same blower belt construction type [8 mm though] as top fuel and blown alcohol, ''purple inside'' last year, maybe different now.

JL222
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 10:28:08 PM by jl222 »

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #949 on: March 02, 2012, 11:24:57 PM »
Woo-hoo!!!

We're going to be on the 2012 Salt Talks tee shirt-looks like I paid our way to infamy! :evil:

This is getting ridiculous.  Yeah, I'm an MG kind of a guy, and my American alliances lie with Mopar and Ford, but Bill Reilly swagged me an AWESOME T-shirt with his kickazz Camaro on it, I'm following the Langlo build, and now I'll be buying ANOTHER T with a Chevy on it - albeit the most unusual Chevy on earth - I'm beginning to think that the Mayan's might be right!

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #950 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:03 AM »
" ... tighten the hell out of it..."

I suspect this directive ought to be qualified by "if you make upwards of 2,200 RWHP". However dazzling the flat-Cad will perform, I assume it won't be in that range. My hemi V8 (370 c.i., alky) makes about 900 HP (crank) at 12 - 13 PSI boost (small-bore 6-71, no Teflon), and my target for belt "tension" was zero at elevated temperature (such as a pull-off run closely following a full-pull). The engine being all-aluminum (and no coolant) resulted in the belt (3", 1/2" pitch) having significant negative-tension when at ambient temperature. I had no belt problems in eleven seasons of competition (up to 9,000 RPM).

So... somewhere between these two extremes is where I figure you need to be!
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline Tman

« Reply #951 on: March 03, 2012, 12:51:31 AM »
More fuel for the fire. remember, the Surfers DID NOT use a tensioner, they put the belt on and "pried the rear of the blower down to tension it. Sometimes we think too hard about this shit.

Offline DND

« Reply #952 on: March 03, 2012, 02:58:53 AM »
Those Surfers were crafty guys as one nite at Long Beach they needed to put in a set of fresh bearings, drain oil - set car on side - pan off - install bearings - pan on - set car back on wheels - add oil and fuel and kick some more butt!!

By setting the car on its side setting on the rear wheels, they would not get their nice white T shirts oil stained by laying under that oil dripper as they always were clean & crafty guys!!

We could believe our eyes seeing that car setting that as that was a first.

Don

Offline dw230

« Reply #953 on: March 03, 2012, 11:08:15 AM »
Pontiac Jack and Jack Gifford are the same guy?

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Tman

« Reply #954 on: March 03, 2012, 11:22:44 AM »
Pontiac Jack and Jack Gifford are the same guy?

DW

Yes Dan, please try and stay on the same lap :wink: :-D

Offline dw230

« Reply #955 on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:03 AM »
Why two different identities? What is trying to hide, Stan?

We need a conspiracy thread.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #956 on: March 03, 2012, 12:05:46 PM »
Great idea, Dan.  But before it gets out of hand, Jack asked permission for the name change - didn't just up and do it without at least "warning" me.  HJe said something about "witless protection policy" (my typo).  You're welcome to ask him if you're interested in why he changed.

About that conspiracy topic -- I think not.  We don't need to give Mr. Propster any more invitation to try and confuse us with his stuff.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Tman

« Reply #957 on: March 03, 2012, 01:32:47 PM »
Why two different identities? What is trying to hide, Stan?

We need a conspiracy thread.

DW

Breitbart was asassinated. Hows that?

Offline jl222

« Reply #958 on: March 03, 2012, 04:51:35 PM »
More fuel for the fire. remember, the Surfers DID NOT use a tensioner, they put the belt on and "pried the rear of the blower down to tension it. Sometimes we think too hard about this Subaru.

Thats how my twin brother and I did it in 1956 for our A blown street roadster, didn't have tensioners in those days and you could't buy toothed belt race set ups.Mosr racers used chains in those days. Bob Joenck had a machinest adapt Gillmer pulleys to our big sized S.C.O.T. blower for our olds engine.

NO idler pully so we used a wood block between blower and manifold. Worked good.

Don't remember having much trouble with the Gillmer belts.

JL222

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #959 on: March 05, 2012, 01:33:45 PM »
Jl222- that sounds like fun..or not!

Ok, guys question here:

Should I run the exhaust out the back of the car, or exit it out in front of the doors, angled towards the rear, and let it 'flow' down the sides of the car? What is going to be most beneficial for me?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c