Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031944 times)

Offline Freud

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #570 on: August 22, 2011, 10:56:03 PM »
Easier view.
Since '63

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #571 on: August 23, 2011, 12:43:14 AM »
I'm still trying to figure the best place to relocate the front shocks, to get them inside of the front sheet metal.

Buddy -

Have you considered lever shocks?  The rear shocks on an MGB or a Midget bolt inside the frame and have a very low profile link.  Parts # 1 and # 2 from the Moss catalogue -

http://www.mossmotors.com/Shop/ViewProducts.aspx?PlateIndexID=29025

I could send you one or two (or a dozen, for that matter) if you wanted to trial fit them.

Drop me a PM if you're interested.

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Ron Gibson

« Reply #572 on: August 23, 2011, 09:24:59 AM »
Stan
Still trying to figure out if you are talking about hard metal parts or Tony's new avatar. LOL

Ron
Life is an abrasive. Whether you get ground away or polished to a shine depends on what you are made of.

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #573 on: August 23, 2011, 09:58:31 AM »
38 f....I too wonder what the excitment is after 37 years of off and on going to the salt especially for those who don't have or drive a car/bike. (it would be easier to get a room too)
On the tranny I keep the arm on the shifter even tho there is no gear in the transmission so the shifter works properly for the spacing. During an inspection once I saw a metal strap fron the arm on the trans to a spot on the side cover. I thought that was an easy fix. ...Good luck and hopre to see you in October...JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #574 on: August 23, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Chris, lever shocks may work, depending on if they can be made VERY stiff. I've got 12/12 shocks on it now, for very little movement. I'm not a big fan of very much suspension movement, at the speeds the car will run.

Jimmy, we're thrashing again, to make WF. I truly hope to chat with you there!

I've figured out that when Tony posts, views on that thread go up about a zillion%. I'm sure this is because of his valuable input, and not because of his avatar! :evil:
« Last Edit: August 23, 2011, 02:24:48 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #575 on: August 23, 2011, 03:42:29 PM »
Chris, lever shocks may work, depending on if they can be made VERY stiff. I've got 12/12 shocks on it now, for very little movement. I'm not a big fan of very much suspension movement, at the speeds the car will run.

Buddy -

Moss offers a performance metering valve - a true bolt-on upgrade.  Additionally, Apple hydraulics rebuilds these things all the time, and can set them up probably just about any way you'd need them.  I went with the "Heavy Duty" rebuild option on mine.

http://www.applehydraulics.com/shocks.htm

Offline RichFox

« Reply #576 on: August 23, 2011, 03:54:21 PM »
I have rear lever shocks in my For Sale Vega. As I remember the heaver viscosity oil the stiffer the shock action. Also, if you came home with a brand new Craftsman 1/2 drive ratchet, It was mine.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #577 on: August 23, 2011, 07:39:43 PM »
As I remember the heaver viscosity oil the stiffer the shock action.

Very true - I loaded up the MGB shocks with a fairly heavy marine grade Castrol hydraulic oil, and while it rides like a lumber wagon, the thing cuts a corner like a razor.  Probably not the best thing to do for a street car, but on the flats, I'd think you'd be golden.

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #578 on: August 23, 2011, 08:50:29 PM »
Thanks Chris and Rich.

Rich, I'll as Dale about the ratchet. If he doesn't have it, I'll send you one, because I know we used it! Please send me your address.

Chris, that sure sounds like that may be the way to go. I looked, but I couldn't find the Moss  performance metering valve - do you have a link?

I'll shoot you a PM!

With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #579 on: August 23, 2011, 11:52:53 PM »

Offline manta22

• What, me worry?
« Reply #580 on: August 24, 2011, 12:00:27 AM »
MM;

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"  .....from "The Prisoner", right?

Regards, Neil   (San Deigo, CA)
Regards, Neil  Tucson, AZ

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
« Reply #581 on: August 24, 2011, 12:04:35 AM »
MM;

"I am not a number, I am a free man!"  .....from "The Prisoner", right?

Regards, Neil   (San Deigo, CA)

:wink:  I've got the whole set on DVD. :-D

Always wanted a Lotus 7 . . .

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #582 on: August 24, 2011, 03:34:06 AM »
Build a Locost and get the same experience for a lot less than the real thing. Most likely a better car too. :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #583 on: August 24, 2011, 05:32:48 AM »
The roadster guys 'ave a neat trick--they mount flat bar that attaches behind the front axle in its wind shadow, and pivitos on the chassis behind the grill shell and a spring shock mounts vertically in the center of the car left side springs the right side ect.
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
« Reply #584 on: August 24, 2011, 11:58:06 AM »
The roadster guys 'ave a neat trick--they mount flat bar that attaches behind the front axle in its wind shadow, and pivitos on the chassis behind the grill shell and a spring shock mounts vertically in the center of the car left side springs the right side ect.
[/quote

Would like to see a picture of this set-up if any one has one.
Richard
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8