Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031792 times)

Offline WZ JUNK

Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1860 on: July 06, 2013, 01:16:20 PM »
Buddy,

How tall are those spoiler side plates from the chord?

DW

They are just under the limit from the rule book and just behind the axle centerline.  I made them 7.75" above and below the center line of the spoiler.  My book says they can be 8" above and below.  I hope I did not make a mistake.

John
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #1861 on: July 06, 2013, 01:51:21 PM »
Its official the flatcad is on it's way to Ohio for an engine Install. 

Skipping the dyno?

It's probably just the era of the design, but this coup is really reminding me of a 3/8 scale version of the Phoenix - especially from the front.

http://www.highperformancetrucks.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=2940

justfrickenawesome!

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Tman

« Reply #1862 on: July 06, 2013, 04:38:51 PM »
Buddy,

DW

They are just under the limit from the rule book and just behind the axle centerline.  I made them 7.75" above and below the center line of the spoiler.  My book says they can be 8" above and below.  I hope I did not make a mistake.

John

John, it looks like the chord is greater than the 10" max?

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1863 on: July 06, 2013, 05:08:11 PM »
Tman could you educate a greenhorn and explain the term chord I have never heard the term

Thanks

Chrome don't get ya home

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1864 on: July 06, 2013, 05:25:07 PM »
Buddy,

DW

They are just under the limit from the rule book and just behind the axle centerline.  I made them 7.75" above and below the center line of the spoiler.  My book says they can be 8" above and below.  I hope I did not make a mistake.

John

John, it looks like the chord is greater than the 10" max?

Nope! Trent, I'm not sure how you could begin to determine that based on nothing to estmate size with.

Chord from trailing edge is 9.75", 7.75" above and below chord line.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2013, 05:28:12 PM by 38flattie »
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Tman

« Reply #1865 on: July 06, 2013, 06:13:15 PM »
Excellent, that is why I asked. On a 38 I can see why Dan was wondering, the whole thing looks HUGE! I had no doubt in Johns experience, just wanted clarification.

Offline Tman

« Reply #1866 on: July 06, 2013, 06:14:26 PM »
Tman could you educate a greenhorn and explain the term chord I have never heard the term

Thanks

chord is the depth of the rear wing, not width. Things are spelled out pretty precise in the rulebook.

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1867 on: July 06, 2013, 06:17:38 PM »
Thanks tman I was not where I could look at the rule book and see plus buddy definately made sure I had the definition too lol
Chrome don't get ya home

Offline dw230

« Reply #1868 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:22 AM »
I spoke with Buddy on the phone yesterday, all is good. Chord is a common aerodynamic term.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline DND

« Reply #1869 on: July 07, 2013, 04:33:20 PM »
Hi Wrench Bender

Cord is the distance of a flying surface or wing from the Leading Edge to the Trailing Edge, the shape is called the Airfoil

Two different items

G Don
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 04:35:23 PM by DND »

Offline Wrenchbender

• New folks
« Reply #1870 on: July 07, 2013, 05:41:54 PM »
I really appreciate the info everyone has given me in regards to my question about the term chord most of all the info was given in a nice educational way what a great bunch of folks there is here can't wait to get to the salt and see what the ol flatcad can do I hope you all stop by our little hut and say hi I would really like to put a name to a face see ya at the salt!!!!!
Chrome don't get ya home

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1871 on: July 07, 2013, 09:59:54 PM »
Sunday Update #2 - Top End is Done Boys!:

Here are a couple pictures of the lifter blocks with the roller lifters in them - as well as our custom roller lifter.   I can't believe the amount of work we put into just the lifters -- Don kicked butt on them!   Hopefully our design works out - we even added pressurized oil to the axles, etc..

Chris Daniels and I put all the lifter blocks and lifters in yesterday - and set the lash.  However, when Buddy was over in the afternoon, he and Chris were looking at the adjusters we used (vintage Harley stuff) and they seemed a bit funny.

I surged ahead and we put them all in.  Buddy - having plenty of time in his truck, kept thinking about the adjusters and was wondering if they were square to the tops of the bodies . . .  as we thought we saw something a bit off when installed???

This got us all worried, so I pulled all the lifter blocks, lifters and adjusters back out of the engine and surfaced every adjuster in my lathe to ensure they were all square.  Most of them were a couple thousands off - so I only had to cut about .004 or so from the tops to true them.  In retrospect, I will do this on every adjuster going forward -- as you have a nice polished surface when done (I polish with 400 - 600 grit sandpaper) and it does make it easier on the 'feeler gauge' lash setting procedure.

Needless to say - this was about a 6 hour operation . . . but I started very early.

1) Pressurized Lifter Blocks and Rollers: Took some work to figure out the dang pressurized oil line plumbing for the lifter blocks.   I'd bought a crap load of AN fittings - thinking I could get them all in the tight valley area.  Not a chance.   I finally decided to make hard lines to go between the two blocks (side to side) and a flexible line to feed the blocks in the middle.  

Took a lot of screwing around to come up with a workable plan - even had to weld up a 'custom wrench' to fit in a tight place.

2) Lifter Block Strut Support System:  When Don, Buddy and I discussed the new roller cam design and the new lifter blocks, we pondered my concern that the only thing holding the lifter blocks in is two cast iron bosses that hang out in the valley of the block (for each block assembly).

It really concerned us that with the added stress of bigger valve springs and the side-load of roller lifters that we may be in danger.  If one of those two bosses broke off, we'd drop the lifter block into the cam . . . into the crank and the whole thing would be a blender.

I originally designed a strut system to go all the way up to the intake girdle, but Don had a much better idea.   He found some long ARP studs that could be modified to do two things:

a) Bolt the lifter blocks down -- so he threaded them all the way down.
b) Go up all the way out of the valley to a set of new custom steel valley cover plates where we'd tie the studs in.  This top plate is like a 'stud girdle' for the lifter block studs.  It picks up all four studs for each side (as there are two of them).

We have ARP nuts on both sides of the plates - and I put about a .001 to .002 crush on them.   The theory is that we've now tied all four studs together and we've tied them into the block cover plate . . . hopefully this will help stabilize the lifter blocks and reduce stress on the block bosses.

It actually looks like of cool when you look at the valley - like something that you'd have in a WWII tank!  Guess we're trying to be true to the engine's roots and wartime service!  

Wish us luck - we have a HUGE amount to get done in a week - we're rallying the troops for next weekend.

More attachments in a second post . . .

B&S
« Last Edit: July 07, 2013, 10:01:55 PM by BoredAndStroked »
Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1872 on: July 07, 2013, 10:01:14 PM »
More Photos of the Top End:

Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1873 on: July 07, 2013, 10:19:41 PM »
I don't like the rubber hoses with screw hose clamps.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1874 on: July 07, 2013, 11:58:25 PM »
Pete I would be willing to bet that those are the new "barbed fittings" and do not require any clamp at all but anal kicked in--lol

Guys--- :cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!