Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1031753 times)

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1260 on: August 17, 2012, 10:28:05 PM »
I've been offered a 3 speed, with GV overdrive, good for a 1000Hp. I'm thinking this would be the way to go.
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Kiwi Paul

« Reply #1261 on: August 18, 2012, 12:00:08 AM »
Buddy, Don`t forget to choose a combination that you can adjust on. if a quickchange and a bunch of spur gears aren`t on the menu, stick to your 9inch and round up a few gearsets to take. As for the 3 Speed and Gear Vendors idea, well, I hope Dale can learn the shifting system. I still like the idea of a Tremec and a batch of ratios in the back....

Offline Freud

« Reply #1262 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:15 AM »
Buddy I wish the Target550 group could have provided you more help. Without coming to

your pits Marlo didn't have much to go on. We were up to our scrotum in alligators about

the time you came by.

I failed to get over the remaining days but I love your Caddy.

I'll lurk and listen for your next step.  You did great for a new outfit.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1263 on: August 18, 2012, 09:43:08 AM »
Buddy, Don`t forget to choose a combination that you can adjust on. if a quickchange and a bunch of spur gears aren`t on the menu, stick to your 9inch and round up a few gearsets to take. As for the 3 Speed and Gear Vendors idea, well, I hope Dale can learn the shifting system. I still like the idea of a Tremec and a batch of ratios in the back....
I believe it shifts like any other three speed which is the same as my truck around town where I don't use granny low or overdrive 5th. And then you flip a switch for Odrive. Millions built and people learned to use them. Why do you think Dale will have a problem?

Offline Tman

« Reply #1264 on: August 18, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
I think that was a joke Rich. :-D

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1265 on: August 18, 2012, 10:06:35 AM »
I have run a AT 400/GV and no torque converter and I have run a PG/GV with no converter---
In a low HP high AERO DRAG combo  if you want to be combetitive you must minimise your total drag---you have worked hard on the body AERO

An area you have left is drivetrain effieiency--at Bonneville ---IMO  the cheapest-MOST power to the ground comes from not using 9" -4.5% fords
 and QC -6.5%  gear change with tires ---but especially trannys you can change the gear sets easily!!! like Libertys and such you can rally "Tune for the Eng/trap speeds you want

PS: If I could get my buddies with the red truck on board--(missed a hat by .5 MPH) they run a QC with a 2.74--real clsoe to a GM 2.73 which would put over 6% or in their case 65 HP more TE to the salt---think that might cover .5 mph
« Last Edit: August 18, 2012, 10:17:33 AM by SPARKY »
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1266 on: August 18, 2012, 11:56:24 AM »
Thanks everyone!

Kiwi Paul, I have a Halibrand Camp QC in the car, not a 9 inch, so changing gears is easy. I thought we had a gearing problem, but after running the numbers again, I realize we had to have had clutch slippage.

Sparky, I have a Liberty tranny, and will be talking to them Monday about gear selection, to decide if I want to stay with it. I think a rear end with about 2.35 gears will get us to where we want to be.

Suggestions?
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1267 on: August 18, 2012, 12:54:23 PM »
with GMs you can do 2.41 or 2.28s  I would go with the 2.28s and continue to play with the liberty---let me have your dyno sheets and I will build you a TE chart that will show you what speed and what you are putting to the ground at each rpm on the dyno sheet!  You then will be able to play with gear selection!
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

Offline 38flattie

« Reply #1268 on: August 18, 2012, 06:25:13 PM »
Thanks Sparky-I sent you the info.

Did anyone happen to get a pic of the FlatCad with the chute open? I really wanted one, but we missed it!

Offline panic

• My tech papers
« Reply #1269 on: August 18, 2012, 06:47:57 PM »
Your HP curve will determine how much ratio spread you can tolerate on the shift into high gear.
Very peaky? 10-15% drop
Flat as Kansas? 25% drop

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1270 on: August 18, 2012, 08:51:00 PM »
The thing about the Liberty or the transmission in my Dodge is that when they are in fifth or sixth gear they are running through the cluster. And that has more drag than direct 3rd or 4th. The Ford top loader with the gear vendors OD runs through a planetary gear set for the Over drive. The transmission itself is in high and is running direct. So the question becomes which has the least drag and power loss? I don't know. I think it's the planetary gears. But I have nothing solid to back that up. Who has some real numbers they are willing to share? We could call Gear Vendors, but I think I know what they will say.

Offline Pete1

« Reply #1271 on: August 18, 2012, 09:42:47 PM »
The thing about the Liberty or the transmission in my Dodge is that when they are in fifth or sixth gear they are running through the cluster. And that has more drag than direct 3rd or 4th. The Ford top loader with the gear vendors OD runs through a planetary gear set for the Over drive. The transmission itself is in high and is running direct. So the question becomes which has the least drag and power loss? I don't know. I think it's the planetary gears. But I have nothing solid to back that up. Who has some real numbers they are willing to share? We could call Gear Vendors, but I think I know what they will say.

You lose 5 to 8% every time you go through a gear set..Slightly less if they are not driving.
In a planetary transmission like a Lenco, when you are in direct, no gears are moving. It is like a straight shaft going through with parasitic drag coming only from oil friction and loss in the bearings.
In a Bonneville car it is more efficient to NOT use an overdrive. The cheapest way to go would be have a push car that could push the race car
up to 100 mph.(Like the Kenz & Leslie 777) The race car could get along with only a clutch and no transmission then. The most expensive way to go is probably a Lenco.
Oh, I forgot, there is another way, have way more hp than you can possibily get to the ground and then you can afford to lose some in the drive train.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #1272 on: August 18, 2012, 10:10:40 PM »
I understand that. However my question has to do with an overdrive transmission. In direct i am aware the Gear venders unit is about the same as the Ford trans would be without it. But buddy want's an overdrive of some sort, between the flywheel and the rear end. So we are pretty much limited to a standard transmission in which top gear is an overdrive or an add on overdrive such as the Gear Vendors unit. The question is which is more efficient.   

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1273 on: August 18, 2012, 10:51:02 PM »
the freewheel feature is nice---saves tires and shorts if you blow and eng. saves auto trannies when you push off the line.

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1274 on: August 19, 2012, 01:29:46 AM »
... I have a Halibrand Camp QC in the car...
Umm... then why are you looking for a different ring/pinion set? What am I missing here? :?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020