Author Topic: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build  (Read 1032394 times)

Offline Richard 2

• 2 Richards Racing
Re: XXO/BVGC '38 Chevy Coupe Build
« Reply #1020 on: March 29, 2012, 12:02:23 AM »
Buddy, The 101A G-Force (Tex) clutchless Trans works pretty nice G-force put mine together for about $2,300.00 in 2009 (used Nascar stuff) and can get about any gear ratio you want. They also come with Chevy & Ford bolt patterns. Plus they have oil pumps you can run in them for an oil cooling system.
Richard 2   
219.648 mph F/BFMR 2010 Record
4 cylinder Esslinger
Could of had a V8

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #1021 on: March 29, 2012, 10:01:22 PM »
Tony's got it...Richard. I run a Tex T-101 in my roadster with a .96 OD so I'm very familial with them...Mine is all NASCAR used stuff but put together by Tex when they were Tex....Our Muncie is a M20 which is plenty for us especially since it now has a complete supercase.....................JD
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1022 on: April 01, 2012, 09:43:09 PM »
Sunday Night Update - Dyno Headers are Done!

Just came in from the shop - was a long day of cutting, grinding, welding . . . boy am I glad I'm done!

I couldn't help myself, wanted to make them flow well and look nice - kind of a "Rams Horn" design in the end. I don't know why I needed to make dyno headers look nice - but I guess the old work ethic of "a job worth doing, is a job worth doing well" just runs through my blood. Plus - we want the girl to look good on her maiden voyage . . . we can't have it fugly now can we?

I just tacked on header collectors to the bottom of the custom collectors that Buddy had made (so they can be removed when he has real headers made for the car). I can't remember who made our custom collectors, but I will say that he REALLY knows how to make nice stuff! Want to thank him for the nice work - will have to get his eMail from Buddy.

The headers are 2.5" from the shared center port and 2" on the outside exhausts. The collector is custom to handle these different size tubes.

I also welded in O2 sensor bungs into the collector extensions - we'll need them on the dyno.

Here yah go . . am shipping them directly to Beck's tomorrow . . .

Member of FlatCad Racing Team - 2011, 2012
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline Freud

« Reply #1023 on: April 02, 2012, 03:46:39 PM »
You have an excellent attitude about quality.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline 38flattie

• http://www.flatcadracing.org/
« Reply #1024 on: April 07, 2012, 10:16:17 PM »
Well, the engine is loaded in the truck! Tomorrow morning, I'll spend Easter with the kids and grandkids, then in the afternoon, I'll finish the temporary chiller tank, anfd finish loading the truck.

I'll leave at 2:30 A.M. Monday morning, and stop and see Wayno. Then it's on to Chico, where I'll pick up Dale at the airport at 11:30 P.M.

Tuesday we'll be setting the engine up on the dyno, doing electrical and the plumbing that can't be done until the engine is all together.

Wednesday we should hear and see our efforts 'come alive for the first time!
With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. However, this is not necessarily a good idea. It is hard to be sure where they are going to land, and it could be dangerous sitting under them as they fly overhead. -- RFC 1925

You can't make a race horse out of a pig. But if you work hard enough at it you can make a mighty fast pig. - Bob Akin

http://www.flatcadracing.org/
http://youtu.be/89rVb497_4c

Offline Jack Gifford

« Reply #1025 on: April 07, 2012, 10:54:13 PM »
Will it be huffed?
M/T Pontiac hemi guru
F/BFL 1-mile Loring record 2020

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1026 on: April 07, 2012, 11:12:54 PM »
Yep - it will have the blower, injector, the whole setup.   It is too hard to lift the motor out with the blower on -- as we chain to the intake girdle plate.   Much easier to travel with just the blower manifold on.

Wish us luck gang!
Goal:  Have fun, make friends, be safe - learn as much as possible, contribute when I can and hopefully get in the books!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1027 on: April 07, 2012, 11:14:25 PM »
You have an excellent attitude about quality.

FREUD

Thanks - my guess is that you and I are about the same in that regard!

By the way FREUD, I remember meeting you last year on the salt (if I'm correct, you came by and chatted for awhile).  Hopefully we'll see you next summer!

Have a Happy Easter!

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #1028 on: April 07, 2012, 11:34:50 PM »
If it's worth doing, it's worth doing right!
Have fun guys. Here's wishing you ALL the success you richly deserve.  :cheers: :cheers: :cheers: What a great project.

Pete

Offline Freud

« Reply #1029 on: April 07, 2012, 11:53:57 PM »
B and S...........yep I did stop by. It was my pleasure.

I just can't forget growing up in my Dad's machine shop and the engine from our Caddie in there.

Little hydraulic lifters, and angle cut rod caps so the rod could come out the top of the bore.

A lot of pride built into that project.

I'll see you again.

FREUD
Since '63

Offline Rex Schimmer

• Only time and money prevent completion!
« Reply #1030 on: April 08, 2012, 12:07:57 AM »
Buddy,
Is your a$$ getting tight? The time for all truth to be told, you cannot lie on the dyno!! Good luck and have fun!!!

Rex
Rex

Not much matters and the rest doesn't matter at all.

Offline DND

« Reply #1031 on: April 08, 2012, 12:22:29 AM »
Hi Rex

In the past some dyno shops would dial in a frienly correction factor number, for years i ran my stuff at Traco and they were right on the money for honest HP numbers.

Don

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #1032 on: April 08, 2012, 07:41:10 AM »
I'll be looking for you Monday.  :-) You'll get the "nickle tour" and back on the road. If you get a chance, give me a heads up call from Green River so I know how you're progressing. There's no phone service after that.  :wink: I'll be here anyway. Wayno

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #1033 on: April 08, 2012, 11:06:44 AM »
 :cheers: here's to a Dyno session with a Happy Ending  :evil:  BIG NUMBERS
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline BoredAndStroked

« Reply #1034 on: April 08, 2012, 11:12:48 AM »

Hey Sparky - thanks for the support and encouragement.   

This is like a 'Scary Christmas' . . . we know we have something under the tree, we can't wait to open it, but we're also about 1/2 fearful of what might be in the box!  :-o

Hope to see you on the salt this summer and thanks for all the help, support and encouragement - us crazy flathead guys need all we can get!

Have a Happy Easter!

B&S