Author Topic: Hello and hopefully alittle help  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Bobvehring

• New folks
    • http://www.4cyclecentral.com
Hello and hopefully alittle help
« on: November 17, 2005, 02:58:05 PM »
For quite a while I have been searching for info on how to get started. For the last 20 years we have been kart racing, I have all ways had an interest in what you guys do and am wondering if there is a place we could get started with running a  kart designed to your specs. I really don't know where to start looking, I do know that about 7 years ago a record was set by a kart, I believe of 142. Just to be clear, I do understand the complexity of a project like this, have had 30 years in racing including chassis building  and make our living building engines for our sport, I just can't seem to find much info on how or where to get started, any help would be greatly appreciated. Bob

Offline Tom Shannon

• http://www.landracing.com
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2005, 04:16:36 PM »
Welcome Bob!

I suggest you  contact Utah Salt Flats Racing Assoc. They hold World of Speed every Mid. Sept at Bville! http://www.saltflats.com

They have an exciting 130 & 150mph club that run for 3 days,during WOS.
Please contact them. Karts are welcome,as long as safety rules are prioroty. Good luck,and please don't be a stranger here. I discovered shifter karts here at a newly built track. Not your Briggs & Stratton!
Tom Shannon
On The Road

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
Land Speed Karts
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2005, 08:39:46 AM »
The Stewart family races karts at Maxton - and, I believe, had planned on participating in a USFRA meet a couple of years ago (but I don't think they did so).  I don't think they're on this forum -- but you might be able to get something from them from someone at the ECTA (www.ecta-lsr.com).  

They run a stretched (almost lay-down) chassis and Briggs-Stratton (4-stroke) alcohol motors -- speeds in the 100+ range.

I learned the art of four-wheel drifts in my kart back in the late 1950's -- still wouldn't mind strapping into one and going to play again.  I participated in a 6-hour enduro race in a kart a few years ago -- damn, those things are made for people about half my size!  I ashed for days...

Good luck, and welcome to the group.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline promachine

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2005, 09:15:05 AM »
Last weekend I found myself at a outlaw dirt cart race in Redbluff Ca.
they ran an open class 500 cc winged go cart class.
These things just flat got it on. 1/10 th mile clay oval.
It was the most awsome racing I have witnessed anywhere.
Dirty 2 driver-nitro junkie-H.P. peddler

Offline pookie

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2005, 11:53:27 AM »
Hi Bob, I also wanted to run a kart at Bonneville to challenge Mike Clements "record" of 143 and change which was set at USFRA "July Opener, I believe thats what it was called, a few years ago. I checked with the powers that be at SCTA-BNI, and found out  that  it would not happen if really was going to be a kart chassis configuration. USFRA does allow karts to run at thier September meet, BUT you have to run to thier regulations,which has a speed limit of 140mph,and if you exceed the speed limit, you are 86 from the meet. As a point of information for you Mike Clements ran a sprint kart  (Emmick) which had a wedge type body, square in the back  and wide open in the back, an aerodynamic brick,  with 4 Tecumseh Star motors which he built himsellf about 30hp each. Because of the altitude he also had to add nitro with the menthenol. If you would like to have  more info, since this isn't the forum to discuss this project, you can contact me at Pookie@dsletreme.com. P>S> The kart used to be on display in Tecumseh Headquarters in Grafton, Wis. Don't know if still is or not. Good luck

Offline Bobvehring

• New folks
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2005, 12:57:47 PM »
Thanks for the reply, Actually I know Mike Clemments and his brother Jeff is from here and used to race karts with us I have seen their kart many times. I work allot with Briggs Motorsports, who have in their museum a Streamliner built by Vesco and ran with a single flathead many years ago. I have read the info on karts running in Sept. If stock karts are my only option I would go with that but actually have my mind set on something alittle different, again not sure if theres a place for it to fit. I have many years of NHRA chassis building and we won 2 WKA enduro championships this year on chassis we built ourselves in karting. I would like to keep the project looking like a kart to a good degree but would add a cage and enclose it  I understand it would need to meet spec's have a fire bottle and belts, I would guess a chute. I also would like to do it with a single engine, because for the most part thats what karts use. In our world Shifter karts do hit speeds above 150 so I would think those tires and wheels would be safe, just not sure if you have specs that need to be met. I do have a rule book but it is several years old, I'm not clear, and can't find, where a custom made vehicle fits into the 140 or 150  club or if I could even run there.
I have looked at the site on the east coast group, again I can't find anything specific to karts or my plans. I know this will be allot to sort out so hopefully would like to find a place where I can run several times a season. If you stop by our web site( which unfortunately parts of are always under-construction) your see engines with blowers and NOS of course keeping them together for miles is another issue:) but I am looking forward to trying.

BTW, Jon, I have a house on Lake Superior, at town called Bayfeild Wi/ Apostle Islands, hope to get up their snowmobiling this season. I've lived all over the country, no finer place then "way up north". Bob

Offline Salty Blaster

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2005, 01:52:38 PM »
Bob, the smallest engine class in SCTA/BNI is K, which is 30ci or 0.50L . Currently you can run K's in streamliners or lakesters.  J class, the next up, is 31 thru 45 ci or 0.51 to 0.75L There are gas, fuel, blown and natural class breakdowns within these two car groups. You can go to the SCTA/BNI site and on the left they list the car classes and current records. Good luck!
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2005, 02:10:00 PM »
I don't think the cart tires are legal! I think  tires have to be at least H speed rated to go 150. I think Mike Stewart is the chief car inspector he may know the speed rating on your tires of if they would allow them. BTW if ya cover your tires you will probably have too run in the streamliner class K/GS=202mph. You could always run with the ECTA they will allow almost anything to race
Kent

Offline NArias3

• Arias Components
    • Arias Components Engineered
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2005, 04:17:37 PM »
Hi Bob-
It's good to hear from you. How's everything in the world of Briggs & Strattons? We've a few converts over here from the karting world. One of our alumni from Adams Kart Track has ridden a motorcycle past 200mph on the dirt!

If you can't find a class to fit your kart into, i suggest you build something so you can come out and join the fun.

Good luck,

Nick Arias III
SCTA Gear Grinder.

https://ariascomponents.com

Offline Bobvehring

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2005, 08:16:07 PM »
Hey Nick, good to hear from you, how are the kids doing, still racing. Figured I might see you in a few weeks a PRI, I was asked to go but we have to be there two weeks later for our race at Daytona so not sure if  I want to go to PRI or not.
If the K class is 30 or less it sounds like I might fit there or is there a minimum size for that class?, I could be 12.5 or 20 with a single engine
If you guys don't mind, maybe a few other questions, having never been there how much ground clearance do I need. Also karts do not use suspension per our rules but in this case if it would help for handling or safety,I'm sure I could come up with alittle something. What do you think? Bob