Poll

Does it matter to you who certifies a speed????

Yes
11 (34.4%)
No
21 (65.6%)

Total Members Voted: 26

Voting closed: November 11, 2005, 12:23:14 PM

Author Topic: Does it matter to you...  (Read 30983 times)

Offline Larry Forstall

Does it matter to you...
« Reply #90 on: December 02, 2005, 09:18:44 AM »
Mr. Rosemeyer: Thank you for your kind insightful reply. Salt is the faster venue for bikes. Next year Australia or Utah will prove that. As for Maxton: YO SCOTT, where are you when I need you?  :lol:    Larry

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
LURKING
« Reply #91 on: December 02, 2005, 10:01:24 AM »
Scott is ROFLHAO. :wink:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RICK

Does it matter to you...
« Reply #92 on: December 02, 2005, 10:15:26 AM »
My answer to the original question is =NO
It doesn't matter who certifies, as long as its the same one at the same track. You don't have NASCAR and the NHRA counting lap times at Datona. WE are starting to compare apples to oranges. Bonneville is NOT the same as Maxton and not the same as Muroc and not the same as Interstate 70, and should not be compared to it.

Rick
It's not over, it's just harder.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
Does it matter to you...
« Reply #93 on: December 02, 2005, 12:40:20 PM »
so Dave, your a math kinda guy, how much closer do they have to move the lights together to make a 254 bike go 260? you do the math, tell me, if its 13 feet then I'm a big asshole! if its 1.3 ft then????

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Does it matter to you...
« Reply #94 on: December 02, 2005, 01:36:41 PM »
Well, you just told everyone what you are.    Doug Odom
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Does it matter to you...
« Reply #95 on: December 02, 2005, 01:54:27 PM »
How far you might have to move the lights is not material to the conversation. The fact that you suggested they did is the issue. I personally don't care if is 1 foot or 10 that has nothing to do with you questioning the integrity of honest people. That is the issue I take great offense to. If you don't care about the venue then why even make an issue of it? I don't want to burst any bubbles but the center of the universe may not have a zip code that you are willing accept. I personally am not sure where it is or even care for that matter, so I go have some fun when i can and take it all in stride. Life is way to short for disparaging people for things that might have happened or could have happened when the outcome of something is not to our liking. The sacred ground at Bonneville is not even flat no matter what they call it. If it was the water would be all the same depth right? Possibly we should disallow records if not run on exactly the same surface every year. What should you do if you make a run and then they move the course and the next bike is faster than you on a fresh course or should we drag it before each pass? This whole thing is childish to be honest, I think OJ did it and there were guys on the grassy knoll and the guys at Area 54 do have a spaceship hidden but i think maybe i will just plod along the best i can and live life rather than looking for ghosts every time a stair creaks. The real proof might be to go to Maxton and run faster than Lee does on the same track and the same day. I have no reason to argue with you like i said before just think of what you say about people is always sound advice in the bigger picture allies and enemies have a funny way of swapping sides when you least expect it and treating everyone with a little thought and consideration means it doesn't matter if they do change.
Dave

Offline DallasV

Does it matter to you...
« Reply #96 on: December 02, 2005, 07:06:21 PM »
My 2 cents, Probably worth about a penny.
I have been to about 8 or 9 Maxton meets while living in NC. Even took my father there with me once. He's been around land speed racing for a few years and we both thought they run a pretty good meet. I have talked with all the people that run the events, Joe, Keith, The late John Beckett and I can't fathom any of them comprimising the integrity of the sport by doing something like sneaking clocks closer. I don't know why you would want to bash ECTA. They are just a bunch of land speed racers that don't have a salt bed within a days drive so they do the best with what they have. This bashing makes no sense to me. Some SCTA members used to bash USFRA that the speeds were BS. Now USFRA and SCTA share the same records. A lot of folks across the pond think SCTA records are BS because no FIA. Is that the case are all SCTA records BS? IF someone on a bike at Lake Gairdner runs 270 Is it BS because the Aussies cut 10 feet off the distance of the clocks?
I usually don't give a rats ass about others opinions. But I trust Joe Timney and Keith Turks integrity and their respect for the sport both on the salt and at Maxton. If it was me setting up the clocks and someone implied that I was rigging the event it would be in that persons best intrest to avoid me at all costs the next time we were in the same area.
Records or parts, I didn't come all this way not to break something.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
It is not that lonesome out there.
« Reply #97 on: December 02, 2005, 07:42:04 PM »
I didn't tell the story about the 100 ft SCTA error until last night. I did it with the math and let the starter know. When he came in that night after dragging he brought it up and the decision was as Scott said. I was also a victim of that.
I particularly enjoyed Larry's roadster next to Hippo's at Pomona that year. It was remarkable. :wink:
As as for flat, anybody can clearly see at Bonneville with the horizon it is uphill in all directions.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Mistakes
« Reply #98 on: December 02, 2005, 11:11:31 PM »
Mistakes can only take a second and less time than cheating.

Mistakes can last forever but cheating does not do unrewarded for long.
From the extent of the mail, it would seem that a number of people were the victims.

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
does it matter
« Reply #99 on: December 02, 2005, 11:28:01 PM »
Having been in the timing stand the last 22 years I have seen a lot of things and wonder where this is going. The error in the 1/4 mile trap is true and it was corrected. However the 1/4 mile trap does not qualify you for a record , it only qualifies you to run the long course if you exceed 175 mph. You still have to run the full third mile to qualify for a return run.

I think it's time to stop this pissing contest before someone goes nuts and more name calling and threats get started. Let us start something new.
What matters is that we have safe racing on whatever venue we decide to race on.

There are over 100 posts on the subject and nothing is being resolved. As the past chief timer and assistant timer with Gary Cagle the one thing we demanded was accuracy. Each year at the lakes and on the salt I spend many hours going over the times to assure they are correct.

Dan Warner and Ed Safrec also verify the times that we record by computer and on the hand written time sheets. It takes time for this and for J.D. Tone to print the certs which are also double checked before I sign them and send them to the President to sign.

It's a lot of work and I will stand by all of what I do. Keith and Joe are no different.

Glen
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just fo rthe record
« Reply #100 on: December 02, 2005, 11:47:28 PM »
I suspect the racer makes far more mistakes and even cheats than could ever be attributed to the officials.
All of the cheating I have seen on the part of the track operator has been in drag racing and that turned into a mistake for them.