Author Topic: running up in class  (Read 16983 times)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
Re: running up in class
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2010, 08:02:49 PM »
I have several Records at Maxton,,, When I decide to run against one of my own records I run against my fastest record....  When I run in a class I don't have a record in, I try to run in the one that best fits my car for that day hoping I can do well... I try to configure for the lowest record that I don't have, but sometimes I just run for fun.

I have a few friends that run in  theE Classic classes as welll,,,,There are one or two records well below the speeds that I normally run.  I have left them alone so those cars can try to up each other.. as they bump the record and or top out,, then I may go after them later..I left those records alone in 2009 and so far in 2010..

No I am not a nice guy LOL,,, just let those guys the chance to duke it out and make some points and get some records.

Hope to see a bunch of my ECTA friends in Loring

Charles
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 08:06:55 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #16 on: July 01, 2010, 09:24:42 PM »
I can legitimately say that I've been the "Victim" in the running up in motor class at Maxton -- but I don't bother to complain about it.  That's the way it is.  Maybe I'd be happy if it changed, but now it's too late -- some other bike has the record that I think should be available to me.

The case is that a bike entered a certain class which would be considered its "base" class -- that is, the class it fits into at any event, even an SCTA event.  They bike ran well, and the next few classes were "open" -- larger engine sizes hadn't run that class.  So the bike was entered into the next bigger class, set a record, moved to the next bigger class and got the record, entered again in the next even bigger class and got the record.  You get the idea, right?

Well -- one of those classes where the bike was using the "run up in size" rule happened to be the base class for my bike.  But wait -- even thought nobody with an engine my size had run that class -- the class had an established record.  And a pretty danged high record, too.  So I've got two choices -- either run my own bike up in class 'til I find a record that I can take, under the rules -- or squeeze more out of my bike 'til I can run faster than the record in my "base" class.

It's frustrating, but those are the rules and I'll abide by them.  That doesn't say that I like them -- just that I'll work to set a new record under those rules.

Further deponent sayeth not.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2010, 10:18:48 PM »
SSS,   I can see your point and I can see the point of running up in "engine class" as well...

If I take my N/A 255 cu in Gas "E" motor and run faster than a 305 Cu In "D" motor or a 370 Cu In "C" motor,,, oh well !!! How could the larger engines complain ??? as long as the car is legal for the body style class...It just seems OK to let a smaller engine move up as they are handicapped by less displacement...

Now I have never run my E   up in D or C,,,, but I have run it in  E Fuel (which it does qualify for) and in E Blown Gas and in E Blown fuel...(but I don't have a blower, so that is considered up in class)

I like the ECTA rules (cost more to run for those up in class records with the class change fee, but that gives us all more classes to run in and the club more needed revenue) Good for All as I see it.... no down side unless my gas motor runs faster than your blown motor !!!  :cheers: :cheers:

Charles
« Last Edit: July 01, 2010, 10:24:41 PM by Cajun Kid »
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline bak189

« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2010, 10:48:34 PM »
Jon.....have you checked your PM's
Question authority.....always

Offline RansomT

« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2010, 11:41:34 PM »
O.K. Maybe I'm getting confused with the letters, but I thought we could no longer run across frame classes nor power adder classes.  e.g. If my bike is a M/G, I can only run up classes in cc and flip from gas class (with event gas) to fuel class with an unsealed tank.  I can not run MPS, nor  M/BG (F), nor Altered, etc...

Offline revolutionary

« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2010, 11:47:30 PM »
I believe, but you need to check with Turk/Timney, that you can change across frame classes. i.e. if the car is a true GC, then you can run Alt, cc. Check to be sure.

I actually like the rules and open records at Maxton because it encourages and allows newcomers to get into it when they see an attainable record that they can set. Once we get them hooked there is no backing out though...
Breaking Wind #9614
  ECTA Record AA/BGALT 214.8
  SCTA Bonneville PB AA/BGALT 237.4
Breaking Wind "Spirit of Effluvium" #451
  SCTA Bonneville Record SC/BF100 48.931

Offline MiltonP

« Reply #21 on: July 02, 2010, 12:50:07 AM »
Doubt it makes you feel any better Jon, but I imagine a lot of folks got depressed when they saw the Evo run 220+ with a 2.0 motor.  They sure set the bar high and can probably bump up quite a few more.  Costs an awful lot more $$$$ to take on those records on 4 wheels too!  I am a little torn on the subject.  I think the folks running up in engine classes and setting those open records at ;east get a target in place for the new folks thinking about coming in. 

If I could only have one change, it would probably be separating the inline 4's from the twins and triples.  There are a lot of bikes out there that would be fun to run and it is a little bit of a shame that you can't compete 'realistically' for records with them.  Of course I also have a fantastic Ducati shop about 5 blocks from my house that I would love to work with chasing records someday!   :cheers:

Offline WildBro

« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2010, 07:39:31 AM »
O.K. Maybe I'm getting confused with the letters, but I thought we could no longer run across frame classes nor power adder classes.  e.g. If my bike is a M/G, I can only run up classes in cc and flip from gas class (with event gas) to fuel class with an unsealed tank.  I can not run MPS, nor  M/BG (F), nor Altered, etc...

Thats what I thought also.  I heard that the only way to run in a blown class was to have some type of turbo/blower on the bike. Apperantly this is not true because the points race this year will be won by a team that ran a motor bike in a blown class so they could take the open records before their blown competitor could get the points.  :roll: Smart move, but......   
Also, to run from a M or A class to a MPS/APS there does need to be a change, but thats easy, a peace of tape takes care of that. Atleast that's what I think the way it is.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2010, 10:52:07 AM »

If I could only have one change, it would probably be separating the inline 4's from the twins and triples.  There are a lot of bikes out there that would be fun to run and it is a little bit of a shame that you can't compete 'realistically' for records with them. 

Separate the classes based on the number of cylinders?

What about bike colors...Blue bikes would get a 10 mph handicap and Grey bikes would be penalised since Grey is faster?

What about manufacturers..perhaps give Ducati, Maico, Norton racers an advantage as well?

This is called LSR and it does not stand for Low Speed Racing... :wink:

You either build a race vehicle to go as fast as it can (perhaps no records) go or you choose to use the best racing platform to go the fastest speed you can in the class to get a record....you do not complain about running a Vtwin OHC like a VRod in the 4 cylinder classes that has to compete with the Hayabusa powered bikes...perhaps a class for the three cylinder bike..?..get in where you fit in...if you don't fit in you will have to be happy making your XYZ 350 be the fastest one in the world however it just may not have a record in the books.. :cheers:

Hopefully this will get the heat of Bob Bakker  :-D

Offline willieworld

« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2010, 11:00:58 AM »
that should do it                                                                                         willie buchta
willie-dpombatmir-buchta

Offline bak189

« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2010, 11:11:26 AM »
I know it will be very hard to believe........BUT I agree with you John N......You want to go fast, buy and build the fastest.....regarding colors..Red is the fastest.....

PS. John, you are getting me in trouble with the ECTA family....I was told to stay away from the ECTA site.
Oh my, Oh my

Offline bak189

« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2010, 11:18:27 AM »
John N.....I really do like you...I really do....I really do.....I really do....You are my "sidecar" HERO....
218mph  ( and the engine was measured and legal)

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2010, 11:20:45 AM »
John N.....I really do like you...I really do....I really do.....I really do....You are my "sidecar" HERO....
218mph  ( and the engine was measured and legal)

And it really had a blower/turbo on it as well.. :-D

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2010, 11:22:21 AM »
that should do it                                                                                         willie buchta

:wink:<~~~~~~~~~~~Twitches the baited hook

Offline DahMurf

• 2006 Hayabusa Mutt
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2010, 11:28:09 AM »
Top of page 9 in the rulebook:
With the ECTA only, vehicles may legally run in higher engine categories for their class.
Engine categories for motorcycles are
P, PP, PB, PV, G, PG, VG, UG, BG, PBG, F, PF, VF, UF, BF, PBF, VBF, O in conjunction with CC’s.
  • Running an unblown bike in a blown class is considered running in a higher engine class. No change necessary.
  • Running a pushrod bike in a non pushrod class would be running higher. (not that anyone would want to do that)
  • For gas vs fuel you MUST have the gas seal in the gas class. We pull our gas seal when running fuel class even if we don’t change our actual fuel. I’m not sure if that’s a must do since fuel should be considered a “higher” category from gas. I’ve never had to answer that one, I just know we pull the seal because it seems like the right thing to do.
  • Changing between open & partially streamlined requires a change.
  • Changing between modified & altered requires a change.
  • In regards to “tape” for changing between body categories, if the use of tape in some configuration renders the bike illegal for modified/open but legal for altered/partial streamlined then that’s all it takes. It doesn’t “have” to be pretty as long as it doesn’t fly off and/or deform on the track! One of the many uses of duct tape!
I won’t attempt to answer for cars but the scenario is the same you just need to apply it to your proper corresponding categories.
Miss you my friend :-* - #1302  Twin Jugs Racing
ECTA 200MPH club@202/Texas 200MPH club@209/Loring 200MPH club@218
                         Official body guard to the A.S.S. liner :lol: