Author Topic: Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco  (Read 10379 times)

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2006, 10:27:26 PM »
Don Sliger was the first over 200 mph, he failed to back up the record. I was in touch with his widow about a year or so ago. Somewhere in my files I have the magazine article with the whole story. Will see if I can find it. :-D
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline jeffb

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2006, 10:36:53 PM »
Another picture, if I am posting these correct

Offline jeffb

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 10:38:28 PM »
Sorry for the poor pictures.  I am struggling with getting them sized correct.  This is Warner's bike and some of his gear in the S&S museum.

Offline jeffb

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2006, 10:41:42 PM »
one more try, then I give up

landracing

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2006, 02:32:50 AM »
Jeff,

YOu did everything correct. I see you kept sizing the picture down... The function of that is not to cause long loading times on pages, and if you click on it, the larger version shows...

The board automatically thumbnails the image, faster load times for the pages. This also prevents an oversized image to mess with the sizing of the board structure..

You did good.

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2006, 12:03:34 PM »
Those were AMA records....right Jack!!!!
I was there for some if not most of those runs..........just spectating.....I was roadracing sidecars at that time......Ah, Yes you guys have refreshed a old mans brain....thank you

Earl Flanders would stand up in his grave if he saw what AMA was doing now and the  condition of the sport in general.
I am glad it wasn't me.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2006, 06:02:21 PM »
     Bob George was knocking on the door for a record in '71 and '72, just couldn't get two runs together for a record.  Stout runs considering the tech and equipment available at the time.  Believe he might have had some kind of help from the Motor Co. in '72, the cases didn't have numbers but were marked H-D SPL.  where the numbers usually are.  I want to say the letters were cast in not stamped, my memory could be off on that detail - it has been awhile...

Yes Jack, Earl was a true gentleman and #1 supporter of the sport.  Treated me - rank newcomer from nowhere - with utmost respect while offering many usefull suggestions as he inspected my bike.

Ed Purinton

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2006, 04:07:38 AM »
The Bob George bike you mention was subject for discussion just tonight.
When I talked with Campos earlier this year he said they were generator cases and I forgot to ask but that half might have been a steel casting.
The bike is still listed with SCTA in error and is shown a a straight fuel and gasser but not as a pushrod like it should be.
Keep the faith, things will get better.
Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2006, 08:28:45 AM »
     Really got me searching the memory bank now.  Think it was towards the end of the meet before I had a chance to really look the bike over and I don't remember any difference in the "salt weathering" of the cases side to side but there could have been.  Any information that pops up is always appreciated.  Just one of those things in the back of my mind for too long now, something about curiosity,cats, and satisfaction.

Ed

High Gear

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2006, 09:41:44 PM »
Tom Elrod came into our pits durning speed week a couple years ago wearing a Who the Hell is Tom Elrod tee shirt. I sure knew who in the hell he was. This guy was bleeding edge in the day and is the real deal.

I still think Don Slinger's double is the best looking bike of all time.

Gary

Offline kspz3

• http://www.vrodracing.com
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2006, 04:38:32 PM »
I believe the first over-200 record by an open-wheel bike may have been a Harley Sportster on Nitro, around 1969-70, which ws before my time.

I am sure Warner Riley would know.

Would this be the "Turnip Eater"?
Kevin