Author Topic: Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco  (Read 10380 times)

Offline TouringComet

• Max Lambky's Vincent powered streamliner
Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco
« on: July 26, 2004, 05:36:00 PM »
I see the oldest existing record over 200MPH for an open wheel bike is from 1973, J. Angerer on a Triumph in 2000cc A-F, but was wondering if someone else went over 200 before this.  Can someone kindly fill in the details?

landracing

Re: Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2004, 10:50:00 PM »
Geeze scott there was something before "Your Time" at Bonneville. I guess the 30+ years on the salt would put you about 1974, not sure how many years the + is?

That would be some nice info to find, I have some old programs and results from years back ill have a look.

Jonathan

Offline Stan Back

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2004, 01:07:00 PM »
I've got a '70 Rule Book with '69 Records and it doesn't even list motorcycles.  Must have been sanctioned by another organization back then.  (But the book is only 24 pages long -- maybe they didn't have room for 1800+ class records.)

<small>[ July 29, 2004, 12:40 PM: Message edited by: Stan Back ]</small>
Past (Only) Member of the San Berdoo Roadsters -- "California's Most-Exclusive Roadster Club" -- 19 Years of Bonneville and/or El Mirage Street Roadster Records

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2004, 02:05:00 PM »
In chronological order the first ten are liners beginning with Wilhelm Hertz in 1956. The first open bike record is Leo Payne on a Sportster at 202.379 on 8-25-70.
 I have all the original record documents.
 Jack
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

landracing

« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2004, 01:25:00 AM »
Jack and List,

The first 200 mph open wheeler was in 1969 by Leo Payne.  This can be confirmed by the 200 mph club records. He went 202.379 mph. Sorry Jack wrong year. Also can by confirmed by the December 1969 Cycle magazine with article written by Glenn Freud (The land speed historian) and picture on the cover was also by him.

Jonathan

<small>[ August 01, 2004, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: JonAmo ]</small>

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2004, 01:56:00 AM »
My source is the 1972 200 club roster that must have been a misprint. I verified that again. The correct information comes from those that were there including Glen, Boris , Denis,and a number of early leaders.
 I have the original run sheets but didn't bother to go back that far because the answer seemed to just pop out from the 72 roster.
 Even if it's the wrong information, the best thing is that we heard from those that earned the respect before many were born.
 Hell, I might just have said that to check their pulse. HAHA
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2004, 01:42:00 PM »
OBTW: Leo also worked hard to achieve the "NAUTICAL LOOK", however He was built more like a "HARBOR BUOY".

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2004, 06:11:00 PM »
'69-'72.. The most historical years there will ever be for a Harley riding Land Speed Enthusiast, or at least for this one(bigger then the Easyriders Streamliner 322mph record IMO).
 Leo Payne was first in 1969 with an 80"(92%) Nitro Ironhead Sportster at 202mph. Outstanding feet considering all these guys then were being started by a car door handle, not to mention that Leo only had one gear in that bike. Warner Riley is kind of my hero of all that racing(and still is today and always will be actually) due to his accomplishments, especially that of building a sportster motor the way he did. He built many motors back then that carried some of these men(including himself) over 200mph in both open wheel bikes and streamliners.
 In 1971 Warner had decided to get himself in the 2-club and by 1972 had captured the fastest openwheel bike record at 206mph with a 212mph exit speed on an Ironhead sportster.
 Man.. that would have been a time to have been at Bonneville. Leo Payne, Warner Riley, George Smith, Don Baker, Cook Neilson, Dennis Manning, Tony Murphy, Dick O'brien, Don Vesco, Bud Hare, Rodger Jansen and I'm sure I missed some. After all this was about the time Carl Morrow was getting up there in speed and Scott Guthrie was coming on scene... which is an era I'm glad to see a little bit of first hand here on the East Coast as they are both still racing.. as was Warner Riley until last year(made my day the couple hours I got to talk to him in my pits and him truly compliment a little old ironhead I'm building). And Scott, well although he's gone Japanese on us.. he's still out there and faster then anyone of his era on a situp bike(and most of this era as a matter of fact). I think maybe he's afraid to get one of them old harley's out though, which I've heard he never got rid of. ;-)
 TD

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2004, 06:16:00 PM »
That picture may have been Glenn Freud Jonathan, but I believe the article was written by Cook Neilson. And I seem to remeber a discrepancy between that article and the 2-club records. I'd have to dig it out to be sure though.
 TD

Originally posted by JonAmo:
  Jack and List,

The first 200 mph open wheeler was in 1969 by Leo Payne.  This can be confirmed by the 200 mph club records. He went 202.379 mph. Sorry Jack wrong year. Also can by confirmed by the December 1969 Cycle magazine with article written by Glenn Freud (The land speed historian) and picture on the cover was also by him.

Jonathan

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2004, 08:01:00 PM »
I hopr the future is as bright as the histoy.

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2004, 08:20:00 PM »
Me too Jack, I believe it is. Many of you are making history right now.. and I'm sure there's many more to come. I'm grateful a great sport like this is still around and obtainable, no matter what the rules are.
 TD

landracing

« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2004, 11:12:00 PM »
Here is some more info provided,

Todd, you were correct on the article written for the article, I MISUNDERSTOOD. Photo only was by Frued.

" The first open wheeled bike to exceed 200 MPH was Don Sliger on his dual Royal Enfields.  Just minutes after he ran, Buddy Martinez rode the Martinez and McEvoy dual Triumph bike faster than Sliger had gone. Buddy told me later that day he wasn't the first to do it but he was the fastest. Buddy was only minutes behind Sliger and I don't remember that any other bikes ran between them. Leo ran his record on August 23, 1969. He qualified the day before. At that time it required a qualifying run and then the two way passes to establish the record.

It was just as exciting to have an open wheeler break 200 MPH as it was to have a record run over 200 MPH. At that time 200 MPH wasn't accomplished with any stocker as it is today.

Another fellow that followed in this group was Tom Elrod. I saw him on the salt, running, in 2003. That Texan is of hardy stock, I assure you. He has run both dual Harleys and Kawasaki's. When they made a motor plate for twins it wasn't on a CNC mill.

History seems like yesterday for some of us and like light years back there for others. It's fun to take this look back."

Hope that helps.

Jonathan

Offline narider

• Self Moderating
    • Twin Jugs Racing
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2004, 08:37:00 AM »
Sure does Jonathan, thanks a bunch. Good info. If you have any more specifics on any of these runs I'd love to have them(Tom Elrod sounds very familiar, what did he rideat the time?). You're right, these guys weren't abut CNC machines or laptop tuning computers... it was all low gearing and nitromethane.
 And for some of us... history is still a bit into the future. :-)
 TD

Super Kaz

« Reply #13 on: November 28, 2006, 02:47:54 PM »
Quote from: narider
'69-'72.. The most historical years there will ever be for a Harley riding Land Speed Enthusiast, or at least for this one(bigger then the Easyriders Streamliner 322mph record IMO).
 Leo Payne was first in 1969 with an 80"(92%) Nitro Ironhead Sportster at 202mph. Outstanding feet considering all these guys then were being started by a car door handle, not to mention that Leo only had one gear in that bike. Warner Riley is kind of my hero of all that racing(and still is today and always will be actually) due to his accomplishments, especially that of building a sportster motor the way he did. He built many motors back then that carried some of these men(including himself) over 200mph in both open wheel bikes and streamliners.
 In 1971 Warner had decided to get himself in the 2-club and by 1972 had captured the fastest openwheel bike record at 206mph with a 212mph exit speed on an Ironhead sportster.
 Man.. that would have been a time to have been at Bonneville. Leo Payne, Warner Riley, George Smith, Don Baker, Cook Neilson, Dennis Manning, Tony Murphy, Dick O'brien, Don Vesco, Bud Hare, Rodger Jansen and I'm sure I missed some. After all this was about the time Carl Morrow was getting up there in speed and Scott Guthrie was coming on scene... which is an era I'm glad to see a little bit of first hand here on the East Coast as they are both still racing.. as was Warner Riley until last year(made my day the couple hours I got to talk to him in my pits and him truly compliment a little old ironhead I'm building). And Scott, well although he's gone Japanese on us.. he's still out there and faster then anyone of his era on a situp bike(and most of this era as a matter of fact). I think maybe he's afraid to get one of them old harley's out though, which I've heard he never got rid of. ;-)
 TD

Wow this is Good Stuff!

Who had the 1st Harley V-rod to race at Bonneville?

How about the 1st 200mph one? :wink:

Looks like some Pretty Big Shoe's to Fill :shock: !
With some LUCK :? Maybe someday?

With John and Jason around US Harley Guy's don't have much of a Chance anymore,but I HAVEN'T THROWN IN THE TOWEL YET :twisted: !!!

P.S

D/M Can we have a V-rod Only Class @ BUB Next year? :idea:

bak189

Who rode the first open wheeled motorcycle to set a reco
« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2006, 07:48:40 PM »
Those were AMA records....right Jack!!!!
I was there for some if not most of those runs..........just spectating.....I was roadracing sidecars at that time......Ah, Yes you guys have refreshed a old mans brain....thank you