Author Topic: Wild Ride at 240 mph  (Read 10624 times)

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #15 on: November 06, 2005, 01:58:39 AM »
How did the other Berkly go 260 with only 358 inches N/A on such a bad course? :wink:   The video actually has all the clues you need to know what to do to get that car down the track faster especially on that type of course that is not perfect. here is a hint.. be one with the tire it is your friend. Now watch the video again and watch the tach and try to see how the tire feels about it. If Bonner's car has no suspension then it is a moot point though.
Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Watch close
« Reply #16 on: November 06, 2005, 02:42:15 AM »
The repeated up and down in the view might be a washboard effect from the drag digging in and then unloading,
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline hotschue

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #17 on: November 06, 2005, 09:26:43 AM »
The video is very interesting.  I found that at 200 mph+ you do not have the time or the visibility to search for a line.  You normally commit to the course when you leave the starting line and everything after that is reactionary to keep you between the black lines.  The course was awful and Berkley was trying to survive.
Udo Horn
221.559 D/CGC '03
182.144 G/GMS 2019

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #18 on: November 06, 2005, 07:49:50 PM »
I'll tell you what I know about the course.... it felt just about like it did last year , BUT not the year before when we didn't have suspension... Building a car without suspension isn't a very good idea... and I've proved that with my car which came without it... and about killed me at Maxton...  Once Rabbit did the rear the car really perked up... and I was willing to hammer it fairly hard...  once he did the front the car became exceptional.... I don't care where I start... the car handles flawlessly throughout the entire course...  I can decide where to race on the track virtually anywhere at any time.

Welcome to suspension...  everything else is interesting and rather average to be honest.
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

landracing

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #19 on: November 06, 2005, 08:09:24 PM »
Quote from: KeithTurk

Welcome to suspension...  everything else is interesting and rather average to be honest.

So thats what you call a 450 mph car with  no suspension, interesting and average. huh

Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Just for the record
« Reply #20 on: November 06, 2005, 08:36:29 PM »
It didn't run this year did it ?
Perhaps it will be going to
Australia where they don't have a mineral harvesting program to deal with.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

landracing

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2005, 01:50:23 AM »
No it didn't run because they are only average...

Maybe the average ones were the smart ones when it came down to safety.... Or broken parts....

Jon

Offline KeithTurk

• Global Moderator
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2005, 02:18:52 AM »
Jon... you need to lock down the front forks and go to a rigid tail...  and let me know how Average you think that is...

Somewhere between 260 and 450 suspension doesn't have the time to react to the surface...  Or so the story goes...  I'll let guys who are as smart as Tom figure that one out...  there are what... two maybe three guys that run over 400mph

Up to 262mph I can tell you that suspension not only works but allows you to drive on a course that everyone else complained about.... Personally the course was fine... seriously... no issues... Freiburger and the Camaro didn't have any issues either... but that car has a quality suspension as well....
Keith Turk
 D Gas Modified Sports
 246.555 mph

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2005, 03:27:20 AM »
So thats what you call a 450 mph car with no suspension, interesting and average. huh

Jon

I would call that building the car and waiting for the course to come around.
Broken parts? we didn't break anything Only thing I ever broke at Bonneville was an engine while out there Star treking.. you know going where no one has ever gone before.. My theory is if you leave without a record and a running car you have not examined all the possibilities. As Mr. Turk is probably painfully aware of.. LOL
Dave

Offline ack

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2005, 02:06:48 PM »
Suspension: don?t leave home without it.

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #25 on: November 07, 2005, 02:47:00 PM »
Mike Well said..
 :)  :)  :)
Dave

Offline John Burk

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #26 on: November 07, 2005, 04:05:58 PM »
Jack said
"Australia where they don't have a mineral harvesting program to deal with"

As I understand it Australia's Lake Eyre and Bonneville both have a mix of minerals in their salt but Lake Eyre never had any potassium so mining it from Bonneville's salt wouldn't necissarily ruin it for racing .

Clay Taylor

Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #27 on: November 07, 2005, 05:56:52 PM »
All -

The video is great, but took a while to download.  Here's a (dumb?) question from a person that is not a computer whiz by any standard - How can I get that clip saved to my compter's hard drive?   Clicking the "File" button didn't yield an obvious way to save the video.   I'd love to have that one, as well as some of the others like Sam Wheeler and Ack Attack that Landracing.com has links to.

Thanks,

Clay

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Wild Ride at 240 mph
« Reply #28 on: November 07, 2005, 07:49:54 PM »
Quote from: John Burk
Jack said
"Australia where they don't have a mineral harvesting program to deal with"

As I understand it Australia's Lake Eyre and Bonneville both have a mix of minerals in their salt but Lake Eyre never had any potassium so mining it from Bonneville's salt wouldn't necissarily ruin it for racing .

The action that includes pumping the subsurface water and now returning a different product has not only changed the texture of the surface but narrowed the time available to prepare it.
I have run at speed on unprepared salt that occurs naturally over the yearly cycle and except for the sound was actually better than on the track because in part I didn't have to deal with the ruts.
This year the holes were not a product of nature but rather the harvesting done across the road.