Author Topic: Why can't WE play here???  (Read 6531 times)

Offline vette#128

Why can't WE play here???
« on: November 02, 2005, 11:25:40 AM »
BAR-Honda is getting its speed record attempt back on track later this week, when its modified Bonneville 400 chassis will test for the first time on a ten thousand foot long airport runway in California.

The aim of the project is to set a new speed record for a Formula 1 car on the famous Bonneville Salt Flats ? scene of many historic record attempts.

The mission hit a snag when heavy rain in October left the flats waterlogged and forced the postponement of the record run.

But work continues despite this hiccup, with the Bonneville 400 project chassis set to run for the first time at Mojave Airport on Friday.

Although the car fits the F1 technical regulations, several legal modifications have been made in a bid for maximum straight-line speed.

The team stressed that Friday?s test run is not an official record attempt.

?The most important thing is that we check that all the systems on the car are working properly,? said a spokesman.

?There are a lot of new bits on it that we need to assess.

?It will be an important occasion, but this is just part of the journey.?

BAR emphasized that the plan remained to return to the salt flats as soon as conditions improved ? ?even if we have to wait until next year to do it.?
Ed Van Scoy
Four Deuces
(Salt,Dirt & Pavement)

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Moobie stunt
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2005, 11:44:46 AM »
To run on Mohave airport is a violation of FAA rules that won't allow runway use for anything but support for aircraft.
Edwards is military and not subject to the same rules. With 17k  feet of concrete, the middle mile and Kilo are already marked and have been used before. That car will go faster there than ever on the salt. Honda owns the BARF-1 team and are smarter than that you would think.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2005, 03:54:18 PM »
The FAA shut down the Inyokern Drags for the same reason.  Inyokern has been running since the 40s and this year they were shut down, if BAR-Honda gets an exemption, maybe the Dust Devils can use them as a precedence to run Inyokern??

JohnR

« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2005, 04:33:46 PM »
Actually, the FAA has a mechanism to allow racers to use airports. CART uses the Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland every year and i *think* St Petersburg (or some other CART race in florida) just started an event on an airport.

Shameless plug ==>> check out MY website http://www.bonneville200.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2005, 05:01:57 PM »
Quote from: John Romero
Actually, the FAA has a mechanism to allow racers to use airports. CART uses the Burke Lakefront Airport in Cleveland every year and i *think* St Petersburg (or some other CART race in florida) just started an event on an airport.

Shameless plug ==>> check out MY website http://www.bonneville200.com

Sebring comes to mind
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Not until they get a negative response.
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2005, 07:19:29 PM »
Banning, Rialto , Riverside, Inyokern, and one in Arizona come to mind on the West Coast.
Honda has a better facility right next door to Mojave at HOG and they also own the Ohio facility built by the Feds.
Publicity stunts are funny animals. :roll:
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline sickracer

airport racing...
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2005, 08:01:07 PM »
THE FAA JUST CAME IN AND CLOSED DOWN DRAG RACING @ THE INYOKERN AIRPORT.  THE PERSON FROM THE FAA SAID THEY CAN'T USE THE PUBLIC PROPERTY FOR RACING A RULE THAT THE FAA HAS HAD IN PLACE FOR YEARS..  OF COURSE THESE GUYS ARE NOT THE HONDA FOLKS OR CART.... NOT ANOTHER GOVERNMENT DOUBLE STANDARD :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:  :evil:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Actually
« Reply #7 on: November 02, 2005, 08:37:22 PM »
The FAA rule predates Drag Racing and the rule is selectively applied. An exception would be an airshow. Maybe they are going to fly in with the Honda plane and put it on display.

JohnR

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2005, 10:55:53 PM »
I thought mojave was a private airport?

JohnR

Re: Not until they get a negative response.
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2005, 11:06:12 PM »
Quote from: JackD
Honda has a better facility right next door to Mojave at HOG ... Publicity stunts are funny animals. :roll:

Look at this map => http://maps.google.com/maps?q=mojave+ca&ll=35.161459,-118.072128&spn=0.309306,0.735809&t=h&hl=en

at the bottom, a little left of center is the Mojave Airport. At the top, a little right of center is Hondas HPCC proving grounds. It's easy to sopt, it's the really big oval that dwarfs the size of the airport. I have personally been at that facility doing high speed runs on race cars so I know it is available to race teams, let alone Honda itself.

I guess publicity stunts are funny animals jack!

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
That was not a mispell.
« Reply #10 on: November 02, 2005, 11:47:27 PM »
Someday I will tell you how it got the nickname "HOG"
I did more than a few MC tests there and in particular a shootout with various brands for a magazine.
Honda doesn't want Moobie stunts on the R+D facility.
Remember the no camera rule ?
It is also in a restricted fly zone and if the BARF-1 car gets sideways it will be in violation.

Offline Leon

• http://www.ridgenet.net/~biesiade/
Re: That was not a mispell.
« Reply #11 on: November 03, 2005, 03:32:02 AM »
Quote from: JackD

It is also in a restricted fly zone ......

It's in R2508 which is shared use airspace, so it shouldn't be in violation if it gets airborne :wink:

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Valid ?
« Reply #12 on: November 03, 2005, 08:23:14 AM »
The FAA required Airworthiness certificate is not current on the BARF-1.
and I was actually speaking of the Honda test facility. 8)
The gusts to 28 mph and 16 mph ao 3pm local are predicted to repeat Friday. With a high of only 65 deg. the season may have turned the corner.
At El Mirage that would be a tail wind but it sucks at Mojave airport. But we already knew that.
Money talks and this time they are left talking to themselves. Sounds like they got some bad advice.

Offline D-Type

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2005, 06:44:53 PM »
Do I detect an undercurrent of antagonism to BAR/Honda?

I so, why?  I see no threat to the closed world of US LSR racing.

Surely all BAR are doing is going back to the basics of LSR running, namely seeking the answer to the question "How fast can I make my car go?"  They are imposing their own constraints by saying that the car must continue to comply with the formula 1 regulation.
Oh Lord, please help me to keep my big mouth shut until I know what I am talking about

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Stuntaz
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2005, 07:20:31 PM »
Their efforts are in no way representative of how fast it can go in F-! trim. They are a joke among their own tribe that is worse than what you have seen from the LSR community.
They coined the description "BARF-1".