Author Topic: What are you thinking of building next?  (Read 5078 times)

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
What are you thinking of building next?
« on: June 05, 2010, 04:10:07 PM »
There was an adjunct to a discussion going on on another thread, and it caused me to ponder this.

“After this vehicle, what do I want to work on next?”

Sometimes, I almost wish that I was running something like a Mod. PU  or something that was more bolt together---notice that I said SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!

The grass is always greener . . .

I find myself thinking, as I work on the Midget, "Geez, if I could only just lose this production-based crap and start with a build table and some tubes".

Tell you what, Sparky, I'll work on your car for a week, and you can work on mine. 

I suspect we'll both be wanting to go home by Tuesday afternoon! :-D

Therein lies another of the great intangibles of Landspeed racing.......i just sent a PM to someone over there who's got a Stude... we can barely talk the same language but we "get" it....sure the grass is always greener, but...................

Some of us have more than one build underway, while others, and I’ll include myself in this camp, can barely keep up with one.  But I suspect that in the back of many people’s minds, they might be thinking something on the order of, "As soon as I’ve achieved what I set out to do with my current vehicle, I’d really like to put together a (fill in the blank)”.  And if it’s not a race car, that’s okay.  I doubt my next build will be a race car.

Okay, what do you want to build next?

I'll start.

About a year ago, I finished a book by Neal Thompson, called “Driving with the Devil - Southern Moonshine, Detroit Wheels, and the Birth of NASCAR”.  In it, Thompson writes about “Whiskey Cars”, typically a ’38-39 Ford with a reinforced suspension and a strong flathead.  They needed to look stock, they needed to be able to haul a lot of product without losing the merchandise, and they needed to outrun the revenuers. 

I’m thinking that after I’m done with the Midget, a period correct “Whiskey Car” might just be my next endeavor.

It’s a ways off.

Okay, I spoke first, What do YOU want to build next?

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
Re: What are you thinking of building next?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2010, 04:47:00 PM »
I always wanted to do a large HO gauge train layout. I had a small one when I was a kid but racing got in the way. I used to go to the show in Orange county each year and the one at Balboa Park in San Diego is awesome.
If I had a basement I think I would still do it. Just a dream.,
 :cheers:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline desotoman

« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2010, 04:57:00 PM »
After I finish my El Mirage Roadsters, (who knows when that will be). I would love to build a fuel altered type street car. PSI screw blower, on a 426 type Hemi. For the Friday night cruises. LOL.

Tom G.
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2010, 07:19:37 PM »
   for Bonneville I'm building an S-10 p.u. for the mini mod. class. I'm working on a 302 chev with 18* heads. This truck is for my short and tall crew guys to drive and perhaps get a record, but at least experience driving on the salt. Non of them have a stomach for driving the Saltosaurus.  For my self I'm working on a 32 Bantom altered with a chrome molly chassis a wing and a 500 in BBC. Hilborn inj. of course.

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 02:02:11 AM »
My big project after the Triumph is building a garage.  No more working out in the rain and snow under the stars and moon.  It will be time for some luxury.

Offline RidgeRunner

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:46:47 AM »
Currently helping a buddy with his lakester build.  When that is finished I have 5 or 9 overdue motor cycle projects in the cellar to pick from.  And then there is always that flatty powered topless something or other street rig I've dreamed about since before I was old enough to have a license to drive.

If my ship should ever come in, following Wobbly's garage/shop reasoning would jump to immeadiate priority.

Will never run out of projects even if I manage to jump the day late and dollar short track.

Ed

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 11:02:30 AM »
Sometimes, I almost wish that I was running something like a Mod. PU  or something that was more bolt together---notice that I said SOMETIMES!!!!!!!!  :-D

or maybe a new "likester"  :?
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 11:15:47 PM »
Still on about learning with a very small engine in a motorcycle streamliner, but the intent was to scale what I learn to something like a 750cc lakester. Both are likely to take many years to get close to right, I'm still busy learning lots I don't know.

Offline Jonny Hotnuts

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2010, 11:13:56 PM »
Gonna run the Fiat in all classes of G and maybe I.

Once the car handling is sorted out (I think this year will be the year we get the handling sorted out) we will be building a small displacement liner.

The Fiat in essence was an engine development program for building a much faster vehicle in the future.

~JH
jonny_hotnuts@hotmail.com

"Sometimes it is impossible to deal with her, but most of the time she is very sweet, and if you caress her properly she will sing beautifully."
*Andres Segovia
(when Im not working on the car, I am ususally playing classical guitar)

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2010, 12:49:51 PM »
Hmm,, after the Stude runs at Bonneville in 2011 and we get her home and cleaned up again... I may have my sights set on building a Rear Engine Modified Roadster  may start with E/GRMR  (since I Like my lil "E" motor)
I will have "D" and "C" motors, but they will go in the Vicky and the Stude should I build a Rear Engine Roadster for 2012/2013.

To All :

Happy Labor Day   

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2010, 03:21:59 PM »
It sure doesn't take long for the grief of building to subside and for a new project to take over the mind, does it Charles? :evil: :evil: :evil: :-D :-D :-D

Pete

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2010, 03:52:39 PM »
PJ, I guess I am just a tad bit insane....I have not committed to a 2012/2013 build yet.

I do however have a "plan" should the decision be made to start another project. (even the paint scheme)

Any future build depends on how well we do next year at Bonneville and how the economy and my budget rebound.

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Rchop

• FRS Engineering
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
I had a Suzuki GSXR motor I purchased before I left SoCal. I brought it to Southern Illinois with me with the intention of building a belly tank lakester with Joe Daly. After just pricing the safety equipment for a lakester, I decided another bike build would fit my retirement budget much easier.
I finally have all the parts and the frame has been modified by McIntosh. Joe and I are going to try to get our "B" license with this bike. Pics and a build thread will soon be started.

Randy
Each unexpected discovery is first ridiculed, then objected to and finally considered self evident
www.frsengineering.com
#4836 A-PBF 750cc(complete)
#765 A/G 650cc

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2010, 04:34:38 PM »
I am thinking turbo down the road ...

Offline Jerry O

« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2010, 06:24:22 PM »
After having to give up on my streamliner build last year due to family medical expences, I am  thinking of building a GE T-58 powered turbine powered streamliner for 2012. Like Charles, the economy will be the deciding factor. Time will tell.     JerryO