Author Topic: Indy 500 is a joke  (Read 11723 times)

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
Indy 500 is a joke
« on: May 31, 2010, 12:25:00 PM »
What has happened to the Indy 500 race? Watching yesterday I realized I had no idea who more than half of the drivers were. Where are all the real race drivers? When a Brazilian fashion supermodel that I never heard of can make the race and finish 21st in what use to be the biggest race in the world it is sad.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
Re: Indy 500 is a joke
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2010, 01:19:12 PM »
Dougie, she may be RALLY talented  :evil:
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2010, 01:25:28 PM »
Hmm,, if I could fit in one of those cars,,, does that mean I could drive too ?????

Charles
ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2010, 01:35:13 PM »
Doug, the good ole days are gone, We grew up with Kuzma, Kurtis, and the many hard core build it in the back yard  dirt midget and sprint cars from the past. They earned their way to the 500 by guts and talent. 50 or more cars trying for a spot in the 33 car field. Todays world doesn't offer that today. It's all big business with megi shops and lots of high priced staff. Drag racing is going the same way.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline debgeo

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2010, 01:36:41 PM »
Nascar too :-( :-( :-( :-( :-(
George---Sidecar in progress

Offline 46champ

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2010, 01:48:09 PM »
If you did come up with something new and unique if would probably be illegal because it doesn't meet spec.

Offline Gwillard

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2010, 02:48:35 PM »
What has happened to the Indy 500 race? Watching yesterday I realized I had no idea who more than half of the drivers were. Where are all the real race drivers? When a Brazilian fashion supermodel that I never heard of can make the race and finish 21st in what use to be the biggest race in the world it is sad.

To address your comment about a "Brazilian fashion model", Ana Beatriz is a racer, not a model. She started in karts at 9 and has competed in open wheel racing ever since. She also has two wins in the Indy Lights series. Of the four women in the race, three of them earned their way by winning races in other open wheel cars. Ana in Indy lights, Sarah in sprints & midgets, and Simona in Toyota Atlantic (she KICKED ASS!).
Will weld for beer :cheers:

Offline doug odom

• Global Moderator
    • popmotorsports.com
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2010, 05:06:22 PM »
Google Ana Beatriz. I didn't make it up! Remember the guy that won could not even get competitive in the nascar nationwide series. He won Indy twice.
Doug Odom in big ditch

How old would you be now if you didn't know how old you are?
If you can't race it or take it to bed - it ain't worth having.

Offline Elmo Rodge

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2010, 05:35:16 PM »
Doug, it's a different ana Beatriz. There are 2 of 'em.  :cheers: Wayno

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2010, 05:36:31 PM »
Doug, You looked at the wrong link.  Here is the correct link http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bia_Figueiredo As for Dario not being competitive in NASCAR, all the open wheel guys that have tried NASCAR only a few have been marginally successful, like AJ, Mario, PJ and Dan Gurney.  Just as I don’t think a NASCAR driver would be good in Indy car.  I think the last real attempts by NASCAR drivers at Indy were by Cale Yarbrough and Tim Richmond.  The two were mediocre at best, but in the NASCAR series they dominated.

Since the unification of the two series, this year’s race was better than the previous ones.  But still has a long way to go to get the luster back.  Tony

“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline DavidinDurango

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2010, 06:14:12 PM »
 I came in during the race.  Of the eight minutes I watched . . . .eight minutes were commercials.

DavidinDurango
Mostly Fords with "some stuff"
LSR, because it takes more than one ball to play.

Offline SPARKY

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2010, 06:28:33 PM »
"smoke"   :?  :-o
Miss LIBERTY,  changing T.K.I.  to noise, dust, rust, BLUE HATS & hopefully not scrap!!

"Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing."   Helen Keller

We are going to explore the racing N words NITROUS & NITRO!

Offline maguromic

• http://www.barringtontea.com
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2010, 07:03:08 PM »
"smoke"   :?  :-o

There is no doubt that Smoke is a great diver (one of my favorite). But his Indy career, 3 wins in 5 years wont qualify him for the Indy hall of fame.  His championship year he only had one win.  This is the opposite of Montoya, great in Indy cars and F1 and a few wins in NASCAR.

In my opinion all the professional series are so specialized now that drivers tend to be pigeon holed into a series.  The days of guys like AJ and PJ jumping into any type of car and winning are gone. Just take a look at Indy 500 winner and F1 champion Jacques Villeneve, he had a tough time qualifying for NASCAR truck races before finally giving up. Tony
“If you haven’t seen the future, you are not going fast enough”

Offline jimmy six

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2010, 08:02:58 PM »
I would be a little more interesting if were not so PC.. Same Chassis...Same engines for all...

At least NECKCAR has different decals and MHRA has different body/chassis manufacturers
First GMC 6 powered Fuel roadster over 200, with 2 red hats. Pit crew for Patrick Tone's Super Stock #49 Camaro

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:29 PM »
I attended my first Indy 500 in 1961 - and the last one in 1968.  I saw the last of the Offy roadsters and the first of the rear-engine cars (Jack Brabham's Lola).  I saw Andy Granatelli's Novi and the turbine car and all the great stuff of that era.

Sure is different now.  I had to search around a while this morning to see when the race would be held - and found it happened yesterday.  Nothing about it on the newscasts that I heard.

Heard?  Oh, that brings back a fond memory -- 33 cars coming at me (sitting near the finish line) for the first time ever - and with not much difficulty I could pick out the Novi.  Wow -- that engine was LOUD!   Now all the cars are muffled by the turbos.  Ah, getting old means I've got lots of good memories to keep me going.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com