Author Topic: Need new SCTA approved 200mph+ M/C tires  (Read 7448 times)

Offline RIFLEMAN

Need new SCTA approved 200mph+ M/C tires
« on: May 23, 2010, 12:48:49 AM »
 Well,new tire rule for 200mph+ bikes is here and I need hides. 120/70-17 front,190/55-17 or 200/50-17 rear or the closest to these sizes possible. Can't run narrower than 190 on the rear.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Re: Need new SCTA approved 200mph+ M/C tires
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2010, 01:47:34 AM »
How come you cant run a 180 rear?

What is the record in the class you run and what is your top speed in the class you run in?

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2010, 02:42:03 PM »
 John,my rear is 6.25" wide. My research says running narrower than 190mm is a no-no. Record in my class is 205.891. I guess you don't know that 'cause its the only record you haven't gone after :-P!
 Fastest I've run has been 179 and change. No chance of breaking the record as configured,just out having fun. Thought about running production(record is still under 200),but I no longer have the stock parts to restore the bike.
 Really wish the forces that be could have waited until the beginning of next season to implement the new rules. A 'W' suffix tire has pretty much proven itself to be safe below 225 and you've run well over that on street rubber. I've seen your tires at EM,they look fine. On the big track at Bonny,I get the concern,but at EM? Oh well,what can ya do? What are you running on your single plane stuff in response to the new rule?
 Thanks for the input

Offline bak189

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2010, 03:08:05 PM »
You know what you can do............is send you pre-entry in for the BUB..........todate NO mid-season
rule changes...
Question authority.....always

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2010, 03:51:33 PM »
You know what you can do............is send you pre-entry in for the BUB..........todate NO mid-season
rule changes...
  :-D Buddy,if I could afford to get to the salt,I would be there in a New York minute! This tire issue will get resolved,I'm sure of it,just hope I can afford it :-o

Offline bak189

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2010, 03:59:00 PM »
It is quite apparent from Kent's post, that getting insurance for SCTA/BNI events is what prompted the M/C tire rule change..........and that the word "for racing only" on the side of the tire, gets SCTA/BNI
off the hook, and this may well work.........However, thinking that it will make for safer 200mph runs using
roadracing tires, and that this rule was implemented mid-season to make for much safer 200mph plus runs............come on people lets get REAl..........In my humble opinion "for racing only" tires are not any safer at those very high speeds, and in fact they may even proof to be less safer then the tires that have been used for past 272mph runs........Hey, but what do I know....I am just a old man who........
Questions Authority..............
Question authority.....always

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
 And keep questioning Bak! :cheers:

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2010, 08:14:33 PM »
Bak.... i want to make this perfectly clear..... changing this rule had nothing to do with getting insurance..... the motorcycle crashes at SCTA BNI events did.... the insurance payouts for motorcycle accidents prompted the carrier to dump our azzes..... so that said.... what do ya think would happen if we allow a racer to exceed the safe recommendations spec'd out by "ALL" tire manufacturers and they died? another question for ya... I know Jason is awfully proud of his video plastered all over the internet and he looked awfully proud when he did the TV interview.... but do ya think the insurance companies were sayin " crazy motorcycle guys, yeah lets go ahead and insure them?" I still curse the a-hole who was stupid enough to make that post in the first place.... You have know idea of how hard some SCTA people had to work to get us covered..... The bike side is just tryin to eliminate any further exposure
kent

Offline Utahfab

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:41:58 AM »
1212 FBGS

Sorry (for the late reply and the difference of opinion), I don't feel the same about Jason's video as you do (If it's the same one I saw with a plug for his Shoei).  I think it showed an articulate person that goes about his pursuit of speed in a well though out and professional manner.   It shows the public that not every person on a fast motorcycle is the kid on a sport bike that just buzzed them and for that kid on the sport bike it’s a great testimonial for wearing a helmet!  We know you’re essentially an idiot if you skip it but not everyone seems to get that message.

Thanks! 
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline Livin1072

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 10:44:32 AM »
i got a couple from this site rifleman... bt003 (race)

http://www.azbridgestone.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

I almost had an opinion, and even wrote it down.....   maybe next time  :cheers:

I will say this.... Please don't use SOFT (race) tires on your 500 plus hp Bike = mistake  :wink:
Team SGR Mr Turbo Racing
259.9 mph Texas '09 / 264.3 mph Maxton '10 / 265.1 mph Loring '09

Offline sabat

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 12:41:00 PM »
I found a sponsored road racer with a bunch of Dunlop D211GP race take offs for $75 plus shipping. I have a set of medium-hard compounds, and there are in nice shape. The center section (hardest) is almost completely intact, and the sides are worn down to the point of looking shaved. They are less than a year old. PM for his contact info. -Dean

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 12:16:04 AM »
i got a couple from this site rifleman... bt003 (race)

http://www.azbridgestone.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=2

I almost had an opinion, and even wrote it down.....   maybe next time  :cheers:

I will say this.... Please don't use SOFT (race) tires on your 500 plus hp Bike = mistake  :wink
No worries about 500 hp outta my bike,nowhere near that! And I'm looking to use the hardest compound I can find. On tire I am interested in is Dunlop's "Daytona" compound slick. I gotta get hold of the M/C committee and see what the skinny is on grooving a tire now.

Offline maj

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:34:12 AM »
They also have a Daytona compound treaded , I emailed Dunlop for more information in case the "daytona" only has hard compound on an edge or some other thing we should know about but no reply, maybe not taken seriously as an Aussie mailing Dunlop US or maybe they don't want to comment about an application that most companys seem nervous of ..and i was not asking for recommendations just general info so i could improve my choice.

May just pickup the phone and see if i can get any answers  :roll:

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:33:52 AM »
That treaded Dunlop is probably a rain tire and those are even softer because of the cooling effect of rain.
 Also,I have a set of Michelin rains in the garage and they are stamped "168mph MAX" so those aren't going to pass.
 I doubt that any tire rep,distributor or company is going to answer any questions once they know that you intend to use them for LSR. Big time liability issue.

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 01:35:57 AM »
 BTW,it is my understanding that the Daytonas are harder in the middle to survive loading on the banking.