Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142271 times)

Offline dw230

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #90 on: May 24, 2010, 03:24:01 PM »
This just in, there was no date on the original release so there is now an activate date:

"Effective August 1, 2010, motorcycles competing  at speeds between 200 and 265 mph may no longer compete using ZR tires, and  must run race tires.

Racers  who are affected by this rule change should contact their motorcycle tire rep. to determine which race tires would be best for their application."

DW

White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #91 on: May 24, 2010, 03:27:45 PM »
To answer Fred in reply #79:

Fred,

I do know that there is a motorcycle advisory committee. I also do not know the criteria for chosing members. I do know that some of the active posters to this board are members but, prefer to remain silent on this issue.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #92 on: May 24, 2010, 03:42:42 PM »
I think there is only 5 days left to pre-register for Bubs so some of you might want to hurry if this is going to affect you and you want to race this year.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #93 on: May 24, 2010, 04:57:02 PM »
I talked to Tom Evans this morning on a subject unrelated to the tire issue. While I had him on the phone I asked him about the tire issue. He said that the SCTA has done a ton of research on the tires. As everyone knows the ZRW tire is only tested to 185 mph. It seems that all the tire manufacturers that make a ZR rated or race only tire, say that the race only tire is a much safer tire at the speeds being traveled. The SCTA is not going to recommend a tire manufacture. It will be up to the individual racer to get a hold of their tire reps and get a recommendation from them. Tom said that there are many available tires, but the racers will have to do the research. It seems to be because of liability.
Willie Buchta

Offline dw230

« Reply #94 on: May 24, 2010, 05:00:56 PM »
I don't think that liability is the issue Willie. The SCTA is not in the business to sell anyone's products. The tires are available from different sources, it is up to individuals to find what will work best for them.

This board has experienced racers, their expertise could be called on.

DW

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #95 on: May 24, 2010, 05:06:03 PM »
I don't think anybody is asking for a tire recommendation. what they are asking for is a list of tires that will be aproved by the SCTA to run. IOW; What constitutes a "race tire"? Otherwise folks might end up shelling out hundreds of dollars for tires only to find out they are not right once they get to an event.

Offline bak189

« Reply #96 on: May 24, 2010, 05:30:13 PM »
I think we have been very hard on John N....including myself....he may well be under orders....A couple of years ago I was asked to consult on a SCTA/BNI rule change, after a long discusion regarding the particular rule, I was told by a SCTA/BNI "official"......"and for sure I do not want to read anything we discussed on Landracing.com"  Most of the time a few "chosen" individuals are consulted.....that way
there is less complaining and certainly less input.......and you got to live with the rule...or go back to the Bingo
Game.......Sorry John N.....Go fast in 2010.....

PS. I for one would certainly like to hear and/or read this "ton of research on the tires"
     Yes, there are many tires available....but when you talk to the "Tire Rep" and ask what they recommend for LSR they roll their eyes and walk away.........Oh, well as John N. noted so correctly it is not my problem we don't go fast enough to need special tires......so why should I care....

Question authority.....always

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #97 on: May 24, 2010, 05:47:07 PM »
It just seems ludacris to me that SCTA would come out with a rule that says you must run this style of tire yet they do not say what tires are?

All it takes is to say a designation right?  they do it with helmets (ie; snell 2005) 

To just say it must be a "race tire" is way too vague and is just going to cause a lot of folks to be extremely pissed when they drive all the way to an event only to be told "we're sorry but these are not the correct tire" I can see the fireworks now!!

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #98 on: May 24, 2010, 05:51:15 PM »
This won't do the big bikes any good, but in the interest of not withholding useful and/or safety data I have some info on where to get tires and rims for little-bitty bikes:

Tires: www.emot.nl has the following - all H-rated and made for racing:
              Heidenau 2.75x18 K45, 3.00x18 K65, 2.25x18 M3 and 2.00x18 M3

heidenauusa.com in Santa Clara/ San Jose has the 2.25x18 M3 H-rated closer to home

Bridgestone 2.50x18 45L Battlax BT39SS "not for highway use" can be ordered from "any
              Bridgestone dealer" according to Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations.  They ran out but will
              have a new supply in a few weeks.  They were made for Honda Dream racing.

Rims:  Buchanannspokes.net has 40-hole 1.60 Akront rims.

www.discovolantemoto.co.uk and www.central-wheel.co.uk/rims have WM1 18x1.60 rims
               and lots others in various sizes and configurations.

If you are interested in safety, why not pass a rule requiring CG to be ahead of CLP (center of lateral pressure).  I can't believe that hanging a few hundred pounds on the rear axles helps handling and stability except for reducing wheel spin.  Maybe Blue or Dean have some real info on this.

139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #99 on: May 24, 2010, 06:07:37 PM »
Wow what a busy weekend you boys have had.... Bak, i too would love to see some of that "ton of research" on tires cuz boy alot of us couldn't find any.... In case any of you haven't figgered it out yet The SCTA doesn't give recommendation on pistons or exhaust and surely wont on tires.... Lots of options out there pick one out that you like.... just make sure you can prove that it is a "race" tire... that's all it has to be..... simply a "race" tire.... So maybe NHRS will be so kind as to post a recomindation for us
To all of you that commented that you'll go run BUB.... "GOOD" cuz i really don't want to go out there and help scrape your ass up at an SCTA event.... You've been "warned" ..... let this be a smack in the face to you and your survivors that you deliberately overlooked safety recommendations.... go for it!...
Vehicle weight, deflection have always been a problem with motorcycle tires but the real killers have been tire spin.... Theirs ways around it isn't their Joe? right Bill? After you select a tire i recommend that you have a talk with Motec because i really dont want to suggest you talk to AIM about tire spin  :-o
This tire rule is just 1 that will keep our sport safe....
Kent

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #100 on: May 24, 2010, 06:13:54 PM »
Tom
were not gonna allow a spoked rim to run 200+.... Its not a matter of "not for highway use" tire.... we wont allow those for over 200... the tire must be a performance tire specifically made for race purposes and listed for sale as a "race" tire.... its just that simple!
Kent

Offline tomsmith

« Reply #101 on: May 24, 2010, 06:47:26 PM »
The H-rated tires are for small bikes, not Busas.  In my case they are for my 1950 Harley Hummer 125cc which will run in a vintage gas class if I ever get it built.  You betcha that I'll run spokes - although 50cc Kreidlers had mags in the 70s.  I have a set of OEM hubs (for $20) that I can lace up after I get the rust off and put bearings in.  It looks like the current record/minimum is about 61mph.  I currently have about 8.5hp and I think I need (gasp)15hp to make 80mph. The only way I could go 200mph is for the Burklands to give me a tow.  I have 70mph in mind.
139mph with no bike, but with speedo and helmet.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #102 on: May 24, 2010, 06:58:47 PM »
WHILE WE ARE ON THE SUBJECT OF TIRES ----i need a couple of tires for a 10 in dia rim ---the shorter the better V or Z rated  thanks                             willie buchta

Offline racergeo

« Reply #103 on: May 24, 2010, 06:59:19 PM »
  I blew a Goodyear dragster 17'' front runner on my FWD lakester in 07 and Lee Kennedy said I couldn't run them any more(on the rear). I researched M/C race tires and found that 110-70- 17's were about the narrowest I could find. In the spring of 08 I went to an AMA road race at S.I.R. in Kent WA and told the Pirelli guys at there tent of my needs. They sold me 2 Dragon Super Corsa Pro 110-70-ZR-17 tires with no qualms. I ground nearly all the sidewall (cornering) rubber off an about 2/3 of the tread.  Lee looked at them and said give them a try and report to him. I put 70pounds of nitrogen in them and proceeded to run them over 274mph. No chunking no worries. Radial on rear with Goodyear LSR on front. Actual experience, and was told by Pirelli that they are steel belt and have stronger bead and no way they would fail. I paid $145 ea. carry out. Does that help? My car weighs 850lbs in rear.

Offline 46champ

« Reply #104 on: May 24, 2010, 07:40:40 PM »
Except for the fact that a Dragon Supercorsa Pro is a 120/70 ZR 17 M/C (58W) TL

180/55 ZR 17 M/C (73W) TL

190/55 ZR 17 M/C (75W) TL

rated tire.  We'll see if Pirelli will give you written proof on company letterhead that it is good for over 200 mph.  This is probably where this is headed.