Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142266 times)

Offline k.h.

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #45 on: May 23, 2010, 04:51:08 PM »
Well, what size is the BUB liner using?  Won't they be available to others eventually?  Does running an LSR tire on the back requires a one piece wheel for over 200, like the car classes, just in case someone is looking to fit an alloy unit on the rear, maybe w/ offset sprockets from the drag bike trades.   
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline dw230

« Reply #46 on: May 23, 2010, 04:53:06 PM »
From reply #12
"...Most of those who have run over 200mph have been CC’d and were involved in the decision making process, so this rule change is of no surprise…. "

While I was not a part of this rule draft it seems to me that it was not a "rushed" decision.

It also appears that John Noonan will not reveal his choice of tires. I would look for another consultant.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline dw230

« Reply #47 on: May 23, 2010, 04:54:48 PM »
I think that motorcycles will still be able to run at the Bub event so the "sunset" is not as near as some may predict.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline wobblywalrus

« Reply #48 on: May 23, 2010, 04:56:29 PM »
We are not going to elmo anytime soon.  I did some figuring.  New tires and new wheels.  New hand made triple clamps to give the correct offset after the rake reduction.  Possibly a wider swingarm and forks.   A new front fender.  This is lots of work and big, big money.  World of Speed'r'us.  We can see cars and if we are lucky, a belly tank.  I will take a shot at the 130 club and Werner can run in the 175 class.  As they say with certain diseases, avoidance is the best strategy.    

Offline bak189

« Reply #49 on: May 23, 2010, 05:18:54 PM »
OK.......John N. will not tell us what tires he will be running......but this is one way you can meet the new rule........get a 15inch wheel for the rear.....mount a M&H tire....(nice flat traction profile).....get a 17inch
front wheel and mount a Goodyear front drag tire.......and there you go.....Oh, NO NO NO the rules say something about that "racing" drag tires are not allowed...... OH, What to do....Only John knows............

PS. Is this the first move to get M/C 's out of SCTA/BNI racing....only the Board knows.........................
Question authority.....always

Offline k.h.

« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2010, 05:29:11 PM »
Drive wheel on a motorcycle can't have a drag tire. 

At this time of writing, anyway.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #51 on: May 23, 2010, 05:31:25 PM »
Bak,

I will have sutable tires/rims and besides this rule will not affect you as you have never seen the north side of 188mph so why all the attitude.. :wink:

Other racers that this affects should go out and get either LSR tires or road race tires that are not marked ZR . . . .

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #52 on: May 23, 2010, 06:34:52 PM »
I can testify that just getting "racing" tires will not guarantee no problems. Here is a pic of my Shinko race tire that was posted by Dean Los Angeles as being one of the tires that would be approved. The tire was a a soft compound and this was the first and last run for this tire. Road race tires are only built for ONE heat cycle unlike DOT tires which are built from a compound that takes many heat cycles.

There may be better "race" tires for high speed, but MotoGPs are only built for sub-200 speeds where cornering and dry track traction are the primary factors. DO NOT GET ANY TIRES WITH SOFT OR MEDIUM COMPOUND. Only a hard compound tire will do.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline bak189

« Reply #53 on: May 23, 2010, 06:59:42 PM »
Hey John.....what attitude..........just trying to find out what tires and where to get them....and trying to find out what this sudden rule change is all about.....Seeing that you appear to have the inside line
and must have been consulted on this rule change.....(kind of ironic.... seeing that not to many years ago you were banned from racing with SCTA/BNI)   Hey, John you started the personal attack.......this tire
rule at this time does not affect my team.....However, any and all changes to the sport are of great concern to me.......if asking questions......and possible suggestions, in your mind makes me have a
"attitude"......so be it.....

Question authority.....always

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #54 on: May 23, 2010, 07:04:45 PM »
I asked Tom Evans to define a race tire so that I can purchase new legal tires. His response today was:
-racing tires
-road racing tires
-DOT road racing tires
-DOT racing tires

Cheers,
Scott

do DOT road racing tyres have "for racing use" marked on them.

Just looking at the available tyres, they are very limited in the available sizing, mainly 17" and 18"
And from my experience, motorcycle racing tyres do not generally have a load rating marked on them
So how is a "racing tyre" going to stand up to the amounts of ballast used. Will tech inspection now have to weigh bikes to make sure they don't exceed the load rating of the rear tyre.
If some one used the wrong tyre, say a supermotard tyre, on some thing heavy, the consequents could be disastrous
G.

Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

landracing

« Reply #55 on: May 23, 2010, 09:05:41 PM »
Think outside the box - or tire -

JA

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #56 on: May 23, 2010, 09:31:03 PM »
Think outside the box - or tire -

JA
Or the wallet :-o
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

landracing

« Reply #57 on: May 23, 2010, 09:36:41 PM »
If there is no tire - then you don't have a tire issue

JA

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #58 on: May 23, 2010, 09:39:51 PM »
That's right Jon. We need to start developing land racing hovercraft. Or LSR magnetic levitation propulsion! I don't have a rule book with me, but it may not require tires at all.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #59 on: May 23, 2010, 09:53:39 PM »
 Ok,this is getting a little heated.
 Bak,you're alright in my book,but that was a cheapshot.
 John,you seem to have the skinny,so why not share it with the rest of us? One of the SCTA's strength is the way we all help each other. You've always been quick with advice or a well timed jab,why so quiet now? Especially when alot of us are going to be benched by this.

"...Most of those who have run over 200mph have been CC’d and were involved in the decision making process, so this rule change is of no surprise…. "

Really DW? The first time I heard ANYTHING about this was at my club meeting last Saturday. I was at the May meet. NO ONE that inspected my bike said "BTW,next meet you're going to have to have NHS race tires" Nothing in the newsletter,nothing in my mailbox-NOTHING.  Granted I'm not seeing 200+mph anytime soon,but I am running against a 200+ record and this does affect me.
 I understand the reasons for the rule change,just not the timing and implementation. Had the board said "as of Jan 01 2011,new tire rules will be in effect for bikes running against 200+ records" I could accept that. But summarily dropping this on us after the first race is really unfair. Sure,the annointed may have been in on the decision,but nothing was metioned to us plebians.
 As for now I'm dead in the water. I can't afford to buy a set of new tires,let alone show up with a new set of the WRONG tires.

And let me make this perfectly clear,no 'approved' NHS roadracing tire is going to survive on a 700hp/550lbs turbo 'Busa moving at 270+mph on either a short or long course. This is a bigger recipe for disaster that retaining the status quo,but somebody is going to have to get hurt to prove this point.

Guess its time to head over to the Mojave Mile until this is sorted out. Unless the SCTA puts a bug in their ear to ruin it for any defectors.

I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!