Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142276 times)

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #315 on: June 02, 2010, 07:54:07 AM »
Blackslax, have you EVER seen a NASCAR race? They use Goodyear "racing tires" and 99.9% of the crashes are because of the tires. And they never get up to 200 mph. Just because the tire says "race" does NOT mean it is safer or made better than a DOT tire. That is way too much of a generalization. Some of them may be better, but it looks like we will all have to do our own research to find out which ones work. Unfortunately there may be some who find out which ones do not work.
Don

Really.....Really.....Really
Cut tires, raod debris and poor driving cause accidents.  As I stated, the US GP was a wash about 8 years ago because a tire manufacturer felt that their tire was unsafe for the extended right hand turn a g-load and would overheat causing failure.  Now please make sure you shoot the messenger because of teh message.

As the say in AA "Fix what I can change, accept what I can't and know the difference between the two."  Accept it and move on.
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #316 on: June 02, 2010, 12:02:14 PM »
Actually most tire failures in Nascar races are caused by putting too much camber into the right side in an attempt to make it turn better or using so much brakes on the short tracks that they literally melt the bead off the tires.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #317 on: June 02, 2010, 01:45:13 PM »
Thank you for the point.  But the point is still made.  The tires are being destroyed due to the conditions they are forces to run under due to decisions made by the teams to run them in a manner they are not designed for.  At spa, F1 tires endure 5 vertical and 3 lateral g's for extended periods, but they are designed to do that.  at indy, they were exceding this limit so the manufacturer pulled them. A zr rated tire is designed to a limit and a safety margin.  People are exceeding this.  therefore they are considered unsafe.

Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline nrhs sales

« Reply #318 on: June 02, 2010, 01:46:40 PM »
You are correct.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #319 on: June 02, 2010, 02:07:09 PM »
   Good on ya nrhs sales! Add fender rub and the previously mentioned debris on the track and you have the actual causes of tire failure. Has anyone considered that a softer compound tire might benefit speeds on a slippery salt surface. When I raced  karts on dirt the tires were about as soft as a sponge and worked into the surface for traction. Hard compound tires, you'd just spin out. The Pirellis on the back of my lakester are the soft compound and have a lot of there rubber sipped off. After a 274mph run the salt temp. was 74  and the tires were 80 deg. I have a HOTROD mag from the early 60's that has a graph showing the correlation between the amount of rubber on a LSR tire and its speed capability. It goes to over 450mph when they reduce rubber to .060.  You guys have gotten a lot of info from some of the more "voices of reason" and the ones that are just trying to be alarmists by now you know. AS they say "the balls in your court"

Offline jeffb

« Reply #320 on: June 03, 2010, 09:26:21 PM »
I have been shopping for tires for my new bike that I hope to go 200 with.  After reading the posts I decided to go with the Bridgestone Bt003. 

While shopping, I noticed there are 2 different types of BT003.  There is a race version as has been posted here and also a Race/street/trackday version.  Just passing this on.  I almost bought a set of race/street ones through Parts Unlimited.  I decided to go with a set of hard compound race ones through AZbridgestone just to play it safe.

Here's the link to the street/trackday tire.  http://www.azbridgestone.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=35

Jeff

Offline slimjim

« Reply #321 on: June 04, 2010, 05:25:25 PM »
I've talked to Dennis and Terry at Sport Tire Services quite a bit over the last two years about running their tires at Bonneville. While they think their tires would be fine up to 250mph they certainly aren't going to put it in writing. I'm going to be running Slicks in the hardest compound they offer and have no worries about them. If they can handle the loads of roadracing and the heat generated by that they can certainly handle the salt. I would not recommend shaving the tires since they are pretty thin compared to a street tire but if you do you should know that all slicks have more than one compound in the tire. The center being the hardest with the sides being softer. The tires made specifcally for Daytona for example, have a very soft compound on the right side with a much harder compound in the center and left sides.
   While I'm new to landspeed racing I do have quite a few years roadracing so I can only draw on that experience. Feel free to educate me if I'm way off base on this one.
Jim

Offline Constant Kinetics

• I'm not Crazy, I'm Invincible!
    • Constant Kinetics
« Reply #322 on: July 20, 2010, 09:31:53 PM »

Remember that what works at 230+ may not work at 250+, YMMV

John
[/quote]If there is such a difference between 230 and 250, then why is anything over 200 all held to the same standard in the rules? Everyone wants to run the best they can, keeping their bikes and bodies in the same shape from one end of the track to the other. If SCTA has mountains of research, any serious competitor would be too happy to follow their research.
Wierd is good

Offline racergeo

« Reply #323 on: July 20, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
  Curious to know what John Noonan has to say about the "RACE" tires he would have had on his amazing 253mph run. Did they work good John or would you like the street tires back?

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #324 on: July 20, 2010, 09:52:05 PM »
i think dunlop and avon are the same company or they are owned by the same people                                      willie buchta                                         
I emailed Goodyear about a LSR tire and they told me Dunlop makes their motorcycle tires for them now (still carry the Goodyear name though)
Wierd is good

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #325 on: July 22, 2010, 05:00:31 PM »
and who was the person from Goodyear that signed the email you got?
kent

• Constant Kinetics
« Reply #326 on: July 22, 2010, 05:35:18 PM »
Teresa G., customer relations
Wierd is good

Offline jdincau

« Reply #327 on: July 22, 2010, 06:22:18 PM »
I thought Goodyear quit making motorcycle tires back in 1982? The only one I could find was the 1/2 mile, mile dirt track tire.
Unless it's crazy, ambitious and delusional, it's not worth our time!

Offline k.h.

« Reply #328 on: July 22, 2010, 06:37:43 PM »
One can heat cycle new tires on a spindle under infra-red lamps.
In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice.  But in practice, there is.--Jan L. A. Van de Snepscheut

Offline Grandpa Jones

« Reply #329 on: July 22, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »

Are you referencing the Goodyear / Dunlop flat track tire? Goodyear made that tire for many years,
and production was transferred to Dunlop a couple of years ago.

http://http://www.funcountrypowersports.com/watachi/raceparts.htm

It is a "race tire", designed for flat trackers that run maybe 130-ish mph at the end of the straightaway.
I'd question the suitability of this tire at 200 mph speeds.

Cheers,

Dave