Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142283 times)

Offline nrhs sales

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #300 on: June 01, 2010, 03:07:46 PM »
that is a screaming deal!!! :cheers:

Offline firemanjim

« Reply #301 on: June 01, 2010, 03:33:20 PM »
Randall,what compounds and sizes? Are you able to ship them?
Bonneville 2001,2002,2003,2004,and NO stinking 2005,DLRA 2006, next?
Well,sure can't complain about 2008--6 records over 200 and 5 hats from Bonneville,Bubs, and El Mirage for the team!

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #302 on: June 01, 2010, 05:27:18 PM »
Randell your a fricken crack up.... in one post your ranting of how great a used road race tire is better than anything else and in your last post ya request a waver of liability for used tires obtained from a race team.... whats da matter, ya couldn't convince them of your lame theory?
Kent

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #303 on: June 01, 2010, 06:02:23 PM »
Bridgestone 190 55 R 19 YCX RACE  rear       Bridgestone 120 60 R 17 YCX RACE front    4 sets
Pirelli  190 55R 17 NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE Superbike Diablo Rears   
Pirelli  120 70R 17 NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE Superbike Diablo Fronts

Dunlop 195 65R 17 KR108 NOT FOR HIGHWAY USE

If I cannot cure the Insanity of our board, I can help with the costs of the change and I can supply heat cycled (therefore harder) race tires.  Best I can do.  I should be able to get a fair amount of these tires.  If you want them new they are available at the vendors listed previously from Slim or others including myself.  All I have are take offs that I am getting from the Superbike teams that I know only because of this rule change.  I talked to them this weekend during the SBK race at MMP.  I think a green/new race slick will shred.  I hope I am wrong.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #304 on: June 01, 2010, 06:21:14 PM »
Come on Kent! It's called covering your acura! 

Absolutely nothing wrong with liability waivers unless you enjoy lawyering up and going to court on a regular basis!

Randall has a lot to loose for the sake of a $100 set of tires.

Offline maj

« Reply #305 on: June 01, 2010, 06:51:43 PM »
Randall are these all soft compound or were you able to select some of the harder compounds

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #306 on: June 01, 2010, 07:10:52 PM »
All M/C racers using used tires purchased from American Injured Riders Group (AIRG) will need to sign a waiver stating AIRG is not liable for catastrophic failures.  AIRG is a non-profit organization incorporated in Utah.  I can provide used race M/C tires through this group.  Thanks  Randall Parker

other "landspeed tire manufacturers" sidestep liability by not transfering title don't they?......"the tire shall be returned to ---------after use"

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline blackslax

• Loring Timing Association
« Reply #307 on: June 01, 2010, 07:49:41 PM »
Nice to finally see a full page of banter that does not include the V-twin crusade.  Just to distill what I have read through the past 20+ pagees and get to the heart of the matter:

1) Any tire, DOT or not  that says "race" is approved.
2) Any tire that is supplied with documentation from a manufacturer that states it is maufactured for racing is acceptable.
3) No manufacturer is going to come forward and state that they approve a tire at 270 mph.  PERIOD, way to much liability.  (I manufacture heating appliances, I know what they are capable of and what is feasable, and what we officially state is safe with them.)  To continue this trivial wining about the matter is pointless and counter productive.
4) RACE tires are engineered and manufactured to a considerably higher standard than street tires.  Instead of thousands and thousands of tires, they are made in batches of 20-100 with much better quality control.  Let's face it,AMA, NASCAR, WSB, F1 racing is advertising, nothing more.  If manufacturers have catastrophic problems on the track, they bleed money. (Anyone remember the US F1 rece with 4 cars a few years back.  the tire maufacturer refunded everyones tickets to save face.)  So, race tires are more consistent, and more reliable.  I am sure that there are many people expound about THEIR tire, well, I flipped a coin 35 times and got heads every time.  Do you want to put your life on that next flip?  Statistically, race tires are safer.

5) Cost - as i was told when I bought my first helmet - "If you got a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet. :-D
Tim Kelly
Race Director - LTA
www.loringtiming.com
People dont see the world the way things are, They see the world the way they are.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #308 on: June 01, 2010, 09:40:50 PM »
Blackslax, have you EVER seen a NASCAR race? They use Goodyear "racing tires" and 99.9% of the crashes are because of the tires. And they never get up to 200 mph. Just because the tire says "race" does NOT mean it is safer or made better than a DOT tire. That is way too much of a generalization. Some of them may be better, but it looks like we will all have to do our own research to find out which ones work. Unfortunately there may be some who find out which ones do not work.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #309 on: June 01, 2010, 10:01:41 PM »
so Don now i bet your gonna try to tell us they should be using DOT street tires..... and ones that you personally scrubbed in for 'em.... what a fricken crack up
Kent

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #310 on: June 01, 2010, 10:23:15 PM »
Don't put words in my mouth 1212FBGS. What in my post can you honestly disagree with?
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #311 on: June 02, 2010, 01:08:32 AM »
I will find out if any teams have the hardest compounds in a take off.  Typically they only use hard compounds in the hottest venues like Dubai.  I will ask.  It may take me a couple of days to post what I find.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #312 on: June 02, 2010, 01:11:59 AM »
Don,

The comments about tires being 99% of the accidents is completely untrue, Driver errors and parts failures lead tire failures.  A tire in NASCAR fails from running over debris..before it wears down to far or over the speed it was made for..and FYI there are open races where they have topped 200+ mph  even back in the 70's they ran over 212mph...

Randall please post your findings however a tire that may have been subjected to 3+ lateral G's would not be my first choice when trying to run over 200+ in a straight line for 5 miles or so.

J

John

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #313 on: June 02, 2010, 01:23:18 AM »
Randall Pm sent! :-D
« Last Edit: June 02, 2010, 02:07:46 AM by Jasontmc »

Offline *RP*

• New folks
« Reply #314 on: June 02, 2010, 07:18:57 AM »
Blackslax, have you EVER seen a NASCAR race? They use Goodyear "racing tires" and 99.9% of the crashes are because of the tires. And they never get up to 200 mph. Just because the tire says "race" does NOT mean it is safer or made better than a DOT tire. That is way too much of a generalization. Some of them may be better, but it looks like we will all have to do our own research to find out which ones work. Unfortunately there may be some who find out which ones do not work.
Don

Don,  From what I see 90% of the crashes at Nascar races are from drivers smashing into each other for no good reason.  "Race tire" means it is engineered and tested for racing, and manufactured with a higher quality standard...... that should make it a better tire than a DOT.
Ralph Pitlock
www.paintworkz.com