Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142286 times)

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #270 on: May 30, 2010, 12:00:51 PM »
I read one sentence in his last post that gave the game away (for me at any rate).   He doesn't have a V twin, doesn't race and soap boxing rather than solving is his forte.  Vee Twin, go over to cycleworld.com.  They threw Waldo and Steve and a couple of others like you off.  You'd be welcome there (for a while at least).  See ya.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #271 on: May 30, 2010, 02:50:36 PM »
I read one sentence in his last post that gave the game away (for me at any rate).   He doesn't have a V twin, doesn't race and soap boxing rather than solving is his forte.  Vee Twin, go over to cycleworld.com.  They threw Waldo and Steve and a couple of others like you off.  You'd be welcome there (for a while at least).  See ya.

My, my, you guys sure are sensitive!

There's no need to be threatened by my view. If you don't want input into the rules making process in the form of a comment period, nobody would be forcing you to comment. I simply tossed out the suggestion as a method to get buy-in. Y'all need to chill out a little, nobody is insulting your mommy.

The same pattern keeps happening over and over. They drop rules changes on us without ever seeking comment, and people get annoyed because they didn't know it was coming and they never got a chance to give input.

Now I full well realize some of you don't want to have input, and you want everything dictated to you. Surely you can see that others want to be able to comment, can't you?

You guys are absolutely right about one thing, this rule change doesn't affect me. As I've said over and over I don't even particularly have a problem with it. I'm just pointing out that the process being used is causing problems, just as it did in the past on other issues. It's a very simple problem to solve. People just need to park their arrogance and be willing to listen to the racers. Well, the racers who want to have a voice anyway.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #272 on: May 30, 2010, 03:32:01 PM »
VeeTwin -

I don't have a dog in this hunt. 

But I dare say we know the other folks involved in the argument, while your presence here remains a bit of a mystery.   

I guess there are those of us who would like to know where the incoming is coming from.

To ask for transperency in a process, providing transperency in the discussion of the process would prove good faith.

Wouldn't you agree?

Sincerely,

Chris Conrad
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 4-barrel Mike

• Any fool can drive a V8
« Reply #273 on: May 30, 2010, 04:20:57 PM »
Maybe that v-twin engine drives a propeller???   :evil:  :mrgreen:

Mike
Mike Kelly - PROUD owner of the V4F that powered the #1931 VGC to a 82.803 mph record in 2008!

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #274 on: May 30, 2010, 04:47:03 PM »
or a blown T-Bird :evil:
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #275 on: May 30, 2010, 05:12:57 PM »

My, my, you guys sure are sensitive!

There's no need to be threatened by my view. If you don't want input into the rules making process in the form of a comment period, nobody would be forcing you to comment. I simply tossed out the suggestion as a method to get buy-in. Y'all need to chill out a little, nobody is insulting your mommy.

The same pattern keeps happening over and over. They drop rules changes on us without ever seeking comment, and people get annoyed because they didn't know it was coming and they never got a chance to give input.

Now I full well realize some of you don't want to have input, and you want everything dictated to you. Surely you can see that others want to be able to comment, can't you?

You guys are absolutely right about one thing, this rule change doesn't affect me. As I've said over and over I don't even particularly have a problem with it. I'm just pointing out that the process being used is causing problems, just as it did in the past on other issues. It's a very simple problem to solve. People just need to park their arrogance and be willing to listen to the racers. Well, the racers who want to have a voice anyway.

Waldo!!  It is you!!  Dang!! Welcome to landracing.  I kinda thought it was you as only you can go on and on about nothing.  But please, we (and I'm sure I speak for most everyone on this forum) aren't threatened by you.  I'm glad the rule change doesn't affect you.  When you get something fast enough to be affected by the rule change let us know.
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #276 on: May 30, 2010, 05:57:11 PM »
Now boys, let's not delve into speculation.  Let's let VeeTwin set us straight. 

After all, he's certainly not one of us sensitive types, and he's clearly a champion of transparency. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline landsendlynda

« Reply #277 on: May 30, 2010, 06:56:49 PM »
My Goodness!!!  I'm beginning to think we have another slinky in our midst!!  You don't suppose this "VeeTwin" character has more in common with whirlygigs and escalators than any useful input on tires...do you?  I'm getting really bored with his constant whining and can hear the ignore button calling to me!   I think I'm going to stop reading this thread...it has become quite repetitive.  Good information has been given, lots of people are less than thrilled, most aren't affected at all, and some just want to argue a moot point. 

Is it August yet?  My patience is wearing thin...I feel the shrew getting closer to being in complete control.  :evil:

Lynda  (And I'm not affected by any change in the rules except for the gate)
Volunteer roadblock at Land's End! Yes, you need your stinkin badge! I'm your Dream Keeper, I protect your dream on the asphalt so you can chase your dream on the salt!

Offline bak189

« Reply #278 on: May 30, 2010, 07:16:05 PM »
Come on people stop picking on VeeTwin......It is a lot more fun to push John N's buttons.......

It was just noted that "Good information has been given"............Yes, finally, but "Good information"
could have been given in the first 2 posts if we all had been told what this mid-year ruling was all about.
Why keep it a  "secret" .........
Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #279 on: May 30, 2010, 08:01:03 PM »
Would you believe I also may have to disagree with VeeTwin....assuming of course that event insurance
promted this rule change......If the insurance people stated that if the fast cars run "race tires" than the fast bikes can not compete on street tires....that is if you want event insurance....if this is in fact the reason for the rule change input and discussion are totally out of the question........you drop m/c's from the events.....or you go to "race tires if you want event insurance.........maybe Van, Tom, Kent, DW,
can tell us the "secret"........... was this rule insurance promted?

In the past SCTA/BNI have always used "insurance will not allow it" for a excuse, Like no sidecar passengers, no riding in the pits with comp. equipment, no riding/driving back to the pits/start.....etc.
So if this is all about insurance why did they not use it as a "excuse"?  I really hate to admit it....but maybe I am wrong........Do tell us!!!!!!!  Feel free to PM me and I will keep it a "secret"
Question authority.....always

Offline Dr Goggles

• The Jarman-Stewart "Spirit of Sunshine" Bellytank
    • "Australian Bellytank" , http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/
« Reply #280 on: May 30, 2010, 08:16:49 PM »

I have a very, very small dog in this fight. The DLRA is moving back toward adopting the SCTA rule-book and there is concern amongst some that rule changes are considered and transparent, not reactionary.

What that means is that they are done for a sensible reason and that the outcome, the results are better than what happened before. Any changes that are made under the guise of safety need to have quantifiable evidence and expert opinion, expert is not necessarily those of the driver/rider rather than someone who has the engineering expertise and qualifications which are provable. That is what science is, being able to prove something beyond all doubt.

Landspeed racing is not beholden to an audience, or prizemoney so there is no reason to change rules to maintain competition, so as to hold people's attention. However most people here have experienced other forms of competitive racing and so the suspicion always lingers that the executive will change rules to suit their purposes. It is imperative that the executive make clear their motivation when rule changes are made, if something is deemed unsafe or inadequate then evidence needs to be shown, clear , scientific evidence.

Until now I have steered clear of this thread ,because I'm not a motorcycle racer and not in the USA .......but recently a posting was made on the DLRA forum that asked  "they do it in the States, why not here?"..... If our club is to follow the SCTA rules then they do affect me and so I do have an interest in making sure they are done properly and not as a measure of expediency or fear , besides, the argument "they do it there , why not here" is always suspect.......... Let's not even talk about dustbin fairings.

I am not questioning the integrity or ability of those who may have had the imperative to act forced upon them and made a decision based on the best knowledge they had available to them, but there are a lot of people here asking "Why".

Having said that, this has been a pretty disappointing thread. He said , she said, hair pulling and hiding behind trees......pretty pathetic.

Joe nailed it here, the truth is ...man up, put your hand up and STEP up and look for sensible solutions , learn the science ...................or can it.

i and anyone wanting to do what THEY want to do can do it.....

ill simply explain to my wife that instead of appreciating the sanctioning bodies
efforts and concerns and running within their guidlines, were going to second
mortgage the house so i can "make some runs"....."in a manner that i want to"....

...and im really pissed that i wasnt included in the last senate vote, and the last
congressional vote/meeting and that i wasnt included in the last cabinet meeting......

Few understand what I'm trying to do but they vastly outnumber those who understand why...................

http://thespiritofsunshine.blogspot.com/

Current Australian E/GL record holder at 215.041mph

THE LUCKIEST MAN IN SLOW BUSINESS.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #281 on: May 31, 2010, 01:20:43 AM »
No Bob, the insurance company did not force us to make a rule change..... The tire people did not force us to make a rule change....

Doc, you asked "why"!..... Its because turbocharged motorcycles are running over "TWO HUNDRED AND SEVENTY FRICKEN MILES PER HOUR"..... that's "why"..!..... no conspiracy theory....no hidden meetings.... no collusion.... just plane simple safety.... I personally would rather stop an accident waiting to happen before I have to explain to a widow of "why" we let it happen....
The 200mph for street tires was to align the rules with the car rules and to roll back the motorcycle rule to as they were prior to 2004

Yes Bob we used to have a rules meeting at speedweek and then a follow up at the Sept El Mirage event so we could draft the rules for the Oct board meeting and then get them adopted before the Nov deadline as per the SCTA bylaws.... but now we accept rule change requests year round and vote on them at the Oct El Mirage event in a meeting that is open to any competitor or SCTA member.

If any of you don't like this rule or any others you can submit a request to change it starting here http://www.scta-bni.org/Rulebook/Rulebook-Intro.html   

If any of you don't like the way the SCTA handles new rule adoption (tiny weenie oops i mean Vee Twin) you can also submit a procedural change at the same link above...

So guys and girls you've beat this horse dead in the last 19 or so pages..... You have been notified well in advance of the enforcement date.... some good recommendations of tires have been made.... those effected have probably made their changes and plans..... Time to let this go and get working on your stuff....

Kent

landracing

« Reply #282 on: May 31, 2010, 07:59:40 AM »
Kent,

Wow, did you pay someone to write that for you?

Well stated post and you hit just about everything right on...

Were you drinking last night....

JonAmo

Offline Geo

« Reply #283 on: May 31, 2010, 08:04:33 AM »
Thank you to the many people who take their time to give me the opportunity to go fast in as safe a manner as possible.  You are thinking about the end while I work on the means to accomplish my desire.  Thank you for your dedication to our sport.  

Geoff Green

landracing

« Reply #284 on: May 31, 2010, 08:12:28 AM »
Just for peoples information, I know who VeeTwin is. He is a very well educated person. And his machines are fast, like over 200 fast. He doesn't need an introduction. I consider him a good friend, however this does not mean I have to share the same views.
Sorry he wasn't inlcuded in the discussions about tires, maybe that is the price you pay for being a BUB entrant and occasional BNI event now....

BAKER,

You are right there were motorcycle meetings on the salt and in town under many leaderships. However times change my friend. Salt was for racing and attendance was low during those meetings. With todays communication it was better to conduct committees to share information over the internet. I didn't care for those during race event meetings. During those days lines for hours long and who wanted to give up their spot to come to the meeting? Same for evening hotel meetings, which I attended a few but working on the bike at night had priority... The last sale meeting I remember included John Minnono, Ed Mabry, Doug Meyer, Charlie Toy, Rick Yacoucci, Joe Amo, Jason McVicar (I think), Tom Evans, Dale Martin, Wink Ellar, a handfull of Harley guys. I would say all in all about 15 people were there. Not even close to the 60 some entrants at that time. I still have the video and audio of the meeting.