Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142258 times)

Offline VeeTwin

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #225 on: May 29, 2010, 10:20:26 AM »
You will say everyone should have been involved but you also know that's not practical.

You're telling me that in this day and age of instant worldwide communications, it's "not practical" to solicit input from all affected parties? Seriously?

No, it's an opinion, and might even be wrong.
OK, by all means, prove me wrong. How many people actually knew this was going on? You give me that number, we'll compare it to the number of people racing who've run over 200 or have a reasonable chance of running over 200.

You know, when a person has no argument, and just makes claims that make no sense like these two claims you just made, it's pretty hard to take him seriously.

It's not always agreed to be the best change but the organization ALWAYS has the best intrest of the racer at heart. Why, because they ARE RACERS TOO!

I've read this whole thread and I have yet to see anyone question their motivation. Many people have questioned the conclusion, as would be expected since they were left out of the process. What I'm personally questioning is the process they use. Buying the tires is no big deal to me. But so long as this organization continues to avoid input from the racers, they can expect everything they do to get questioned and criticized.

The bottom line is the tire engineers were/are very nervious about racers running as fast as they are on street tires. End of story.

So the opinion of the tire engineers makes it the "End of story"? And therefore many of the people who are actually doing this and putting their necks on the line have no say?

That's exactly the arrogance I'm talking about. You made my point perfectly.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 10:24:56 AM by VeeTwin »

Offline desotoman

« Reply #226 on: May 29, 2010, 10:56:58 AM »

The bottom line is the tire engineers were/are very nervious about racers running as fast as they are on street tires. End of story.

So the opinion of the tire engineers makes it the "End of story"? And therefore many of the people who are actually doing this and putting their necks on the line have no say?

That's exactly the arrogance I'm talking about. You made my point perfectly.

Let see, in a court of law who is the judge going to believe, a racer who runs a certain tire, or a man who makes his living engineering tires, for a tire company?

Guys we don't have insurance companies lined up out the door just waiting to get our business. Maybe the timing was not right, but in the long run if it saves someone bodily harm, it is a good thing. Nobody likes change, especially when it hits you in the pocket book. But the alternative could be a lot worse, no racing.

Besides in an organization you will never make everyone happy, it is just impossible.

Tom G.  
I love the USA. How much longer will we be a free nation?

Asking questions is one's only way of getting answers.

The rational person lets verified facts form or modify his opinion.  The ideologue ignores verified facts which don't fit his preconceived opinions.

Offline joea

« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2010, 11:06:04 AM »
...part of what we and the sanctioning body have to deal with...

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7178.0.html

Offline Nortonist 592

• http://www.artfv.com/design/fashion/
« Reply #228 on: May 29, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
...part of what we and the sanctioning body have to deal with...

http://www.landracing.com/forum/index.php/topic,7178.0.html

I'll never go 200 so I don't have an arguement here.  But having read the above and read the 16 pages previous I can understand why these things are done  in "secret".  I am curious to know how a tire rated to 186 mph can be considered safe at almost 100 mph faster than its rating?   Apart from "it works" does anyone have figures on what happens to a 186 rated tire at 270?
Get off the stove Grandad.  You're too old to be riding the range.

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #229 on: May 29, 2010, 11:52:31 AM »
bill            http://www.avonracing.com/car_page.aspx                                 willie

Offline joea

« Reply #230 on: May 29, 2010, 11:54:10 AM »
nortonist...your thoughts are very much important.....!!

...as was explained....scta goes far beyond doing things in complete isolation...
....they went out and sought a cross section  of the racers...then in open
scta board meetings...the "racers" who make up the sanctioning body in full
view of any "racers" who were in attendance made decisions.....

as far as what a zr tire does at 270....wasnt looking at it, but it felt
good, and also did on the next run at speeds at near or above 270....

BUT i very much respect the concern of the folks hosting the meet, volunteering
their time and efforts to give us an opportunity to chase our dreams.........

im fully free to rent the salt, get a permit from blm, hire a survey crew, a timing
crew and make some runs..on my own time and dollar.....and if i want
a credible sanctioning body like FIM to attend i can pay all their fees
as well........and then run under their guidlines, which includes includes
"using underrated tyres MAY be excluded from competition"..........so after all
the money and effort....i could/may have to argue that tires rated for 186 mph
are not under rated for 230...240..260..or over....270...

i and anyone wanting to do what THEY want to do can do it.....

ill simply explain to my wife that instead of appreciating the sanctioning bodies
efforts and concerns and running within their guidlines, were going to second
mortgage the house so i can "make some runs"....."in a manner that i want to"....

...and im really pissed that i wasnt included in the last senate vote, and the last
congressional vote/meeting and that i wasnt included in the last cabinet meeting......

Offline dw230

« Reply #231 on: May 29, 2010, 12:06:05 PM »
Vee Twin,

Now I am really interested.

Lets say it is your problem, the board has given you the go ahead to investigate the precieved tire issue.
How will you now involve 150, round number, concerned motorcycle racers and get the opinion of all those who are involved? I'll help out a little here:
Not everyone who races at the salt or lakebed reads this forum.
If you send out a poll, by any method you will get maybe 30% response. This does not involve your 150 racers by any stretch of the imagination.
How long do you think the process to reach a decision will take? It took us 5 years to formulate the Classic Category on the car side. We tried to include all current and potential people who would be affected plus most of the LSR car builders in So. Cal.

The above is of course assuming that you have volunteered your time to assist the SCTA Board by attending meetings, involving yourself with the running of the meets and any number of things that are required of those that give unselfishly to provide the competitors of the safest possible venues.

Thank you for your input,
DW
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 12:10:13 PM by dw230 »
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline bak189

« Reply #232 on: May 29, 2010, 12:09:10 PM »
It was not always done in "secret" with SCTA/BNI.......back in the "old days" when Jack Dolan was in charge of the m/c's ......we had a meetings at the Nugget in Wendover for many years to discuss rule changes.........Ah, yes the good old days.........It should also be pointed out that for a couple of years
Tom E. had m/c meetings on the salt........Do they still have them?........But then even with these "meetings" rule changes were dropped on us at any given time........Hey, m/c racers..  the board is mainly made up of car people/racers...........................................................................................

Question authority.....always

Offline bak189

« Reply #233 on: May 29, 2010, 12:12:04 PM »
Hey,  DW .....you did not thank me for my input......(now I feel bad)
Question authority.....always

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #234 on: May 29, 2010, 01:01:30 PM »
Here is a supplier of M/C race tires. The price for the Battlax BT-003 front and rear set is $369, which seems like a good price. I am going to go with the BT-003 as that seems like it is close to the Battlax ZR tires which have already proven themselves on my bike at 240 mph for 4 seasons now.

http://stores.ebay.com/MOTORCYCLE-RACE-TIRES-CONNECTION

Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #235 on: May 29, 2010, 01:20:36 PM »
Don, The Motorcycle Superstore ha sthe BT-003 for 274, free shipping.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #236 on: May 29, 2010, 01:28:23 PM »
Thanks Fred I will check them out. I like free shipping. The $379 price was for the front and rear. The rules say we need both.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #237 on: May 29, 2010, 02:13:27 PM »
That price is for both.
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
« Reply #239 on: May 29, 2010, 03:58:23 PM »
Thanks John, I dont know how to do that. :cry:

Fred
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH