Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142280 times)

Offline joea

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #210 on: May 28, 2010, 11:11:39 AM »
veetwin....per your quote  "Rule #1 of management: to get buy-in, you involve people in the decision process.""

possibly your unfamiliar with what has been said-discussed-and exerienced...here....

THE SCTA INVOLVED DOZENS OF CURRENT MOTORCYCLE LAND SPEED RACERS WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE SANCTIONING BODY WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE RUNNING OVER 200 MPH....NOT ALL MOTORCYCLE RACERS, BUT PART OF A CROSS
SECTION...additionally ....MANUFACTURERS.....ENGINEERS....AND MANY OTHERS.......

JUDGEMENT OF EXCECUTION IS CERTAINLY VARIABLE FROM ONE PERSPECTIVE TO ANOTHER...:):)....

IF SCTA HAD KNOWLEDGE THAT COULD AFFECT OUR SAFETY....1 HR BEFORE THE MEET STARTED...AND MADE
A DECISION.....I WOULD GIVE THEM KUDOS FOR TAKING ACTION IN OUR INTEREST.......INSTEAD OF WAITING FOR
SOMETHING ELSE TO HAPPEN.....to make a change.....

Bill,  im pursuing options.....OPPORTUNITES......I am anticipating basically a year of tire testing......in an attempt
to move forward......i have nothing established in stone today....."race" tires of some sort to be determined
in the weeks ahead......maybe someone will knock out a set of lsr spec tires from existing molds in the next
two months...:)....or as jon amo tried to ellude to....."if you dont use tires".....

Offline WildBro

« Reply #211 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23:57 AM »
Bill,  im pursuing options.....OPPORTUNITES......I am anticipating basically a year of tire testing......in an attempt
to move forward......i have nothing established in stone today....."race" tires of some sort to be determined
in the weeks ahead......maybe someone will knock out a set of lsr spec tires from existing molds in the next
two months...:)....or as jon amo tried to ellude to....."if you dont use tires".....
Cool  :cheers:
I like the .....OPPORTUNITES...... part

testing is all we ever do really, just happen to get speeds while we do it.

Bill
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline jl222

« Reply #212 on: May 28, 2010, 03:04:37 PM »
it seem like the people cryin the most are spending more time here bitchin than they are looking for tires....
Ok lets look at a car tire for example.... how about the D2111 LSR tire, goodyear publishes 300mph some people have run them Dodge near 400.... its a well known fact that they are safe till 330mph... only ONCE... after that its a 50-50 chance they will hold together..... a tire might make it to 270 a few times or maybe once.... how many bullets are in the chamber.... Jason ya claim '05 till '09 on the same tire, let me ask ya this.... did ya run the same pistons and rings? but yet ya claim to have run the same tire.... My perception of your intelligence went down quite a few notches with your claim..
Kent

Kent...must make you wonder a bit gettin on a plane :roll:

JL222
« Last Edit: May 28, 2010, 03:06:39 PM by jl222 »

Offline maj

« Reply #213 on: May 28, 2010, 08:06:19 PM »
Maybe the long term results of this sort of discussion will be the production of LSR tires in a suitable size for current common use rims on 200+mph bikes
There was certainly no need to go into production while street tires were an option.

landracing

« Reply #214 on: May 28, 2010, 09:28:03 PM »
I still stick to my comments made on page 4....

I enjoy all the banter however.... Sometimes we must not ask for all the answers. You must take the problem and perform your own Kaizen event to come up with your own solutions to the problem.

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #215 on: May 28, 2010, 09:46:38 PM »
THE SCTA INVOLVED DOZENS OF CURRENT MOTORCYCLE LAND SPEED RACERS WHO ARE MEMBERS OF THE SANCTIONING BODY WHO HAVE EXPERIENCE RUNNING OVER 200 MPH....NOT ALL MOTORCYCLE RACERS, BUT PART OF A CROSS
SECTION...additionally ....MANUFACTURERS.....ENGINEERS....AND MANY OTHERS.......

So why was this done in secret? Why are there obviously so many people who didn't even hear about it until now, and had ZERO opportunity for input?

Maybe it's a good decision, maybe it isn't, but the vast majority of the racers didn't even know the discussion was taking place, and that's a fact, no matter how many excuses you make for them.

[/quote]

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #216 on: May 28, 2010, 10:02:53 PM »
Vee, I think the word "secret" is a tad inflammatory here.  The decision to change the tire rules was made by a committee selected by the sanctioning body, and the committee (presumably) worked in their own separate meeting room (so to speak) rather than in the great auditorium where 100% of the racers could participate.  This method has already been discussed a few (or is it a few dozen?) posts ago - that a small group had to examine and formulate and present to the greater group, and they (the large group of members) then had to make the decision. 

Further deponent sayeth not.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline Dynoroom

• Global Moderator
« Reply #217 on: May 28, 2010, 10:09:14 PM »

So why was this done in secret?

As a "car guy" I can tell you it was done in full view of anyone who wanted to or could attended the scta board meetings. You will say everyone should have been involved but you also know that's not practical.

Why are there obviously so many people who didn't even hear about it until now, and had ZERO opportunity for input?

See the above answer

Maybe it's a good decision, maybe it isn't,  no matter how many excuses you make for them.
but the vast majority of the racers didn't even know the discussion was taking place, and that's a fact,

No, it's an opinion, and might even be wrong.

The SCTA board has changed rules many many times over the years. It's not always agreed to be the best change but the organization ALWAYS has the best intrest of the racer at heart. Why, because they ARE RACERS TOO!
The bottom line is the tire engineers were/are very nervious about racers running as fast as they are on street tires. End of story.
Michael LeFevers
Kugel and LeFevers Pontiac Firebird

Without Data You're Just Another Guy With An Opinion!

Racing is just a series of "Problem Solving" events that allow you to spend money & make noise...

landracing

« Reply #218 on: May 28, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »
All I know and can tell you is "BITCHENNN" about the rule does not solve the equation of - how will I overcome this obstacle.....

The new rule ALLOWS you have three options - AND YES these allow YOU to make your own decision

1. Don't Race
2. Find another venue
3. Overcome the obstacle

Bitching doesn't solve any of the above options.

JA

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #219 on: May 29, 2010, 02:18:50 AM »
Jon well said..

J

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #220 on: May 29, 2010, 02:26:05 AM »
Would you believe it took 200 posts, and lot of hurt feelings before some of the m/c "advisory" members
posted their tires of choice......I am certain they knew all along what would be legal as they had
"tons of information" as has been noted.  And these are the same so called "racers" who are looking after our safety.........This whole tire thing has been mishandled from the start......but I have "no dog in this fight" as has been pointed out to me several times but it certainly is very disappointhing to me that we have people like that calling the shots in our sport.

As much as I hate to say it-+1.  :x
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #221 on: May 29, 2010, 02:35:16 AM »
Unfortunately many folks who have never been in a position to run over 188 mph think they should have a vote on bikes that run 70+ mph FASTER when it comes to desicions like this :?.

As I told one of of many racers that called me at home, what works at lower speeds may not work at higher speeds..

"Stay thirsty my friends"

J

Offline RIFLEMAN

« Reply #222 on: May 29, 2010, 03:51:54 AM »
Unfortunately many folks who have never been in a position to run over 188 mph think they should have a vote on bikes that run 70+ mph FASTER when it comes to desicions like this :?.

As I told one of of many racers that called me at home, what works at lower speeds may not work at higher speeds..

"Stay thirsty my friends"

J

You know,had a real snappy comeback,but whats the point? You just don't get it.
  I'm done.
  See you all on the lakebed.
I'll keep my FREEDOM,myGUNS and my MONEY. YOU can keep the CHANGE!

Offline octane

• Nimbus 750 APS-VBF
« Reply #223 on: May 29, 2010, 08:04:23 AM »
Off-topic, irrelevant
but on-topic, relevant comment:

We need some rock'roll here:

"A little less conversation,
 a little more action please 
All this aggravation ainĀ“t satisfactioning me
 A little more bite and a little less bark
 A little less fight and a little more spark.."

Elvis Presley

.-)

"A designer knows he has achieved perfection
not when there is nothing left to add
but when there is nothing left to take away"

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Offline VeeTwin

« Reply #224 on: May 29, 2010, 09:18:10 AM »
Unfortunately many folks who have never been in a position to run over 188 mph think they should have a vote on bikes that run 70+ mph FASTER when it comes to desicions like this :?

Uhh, John, since when does 188+70 = 200? There are an awful lot of people who have run over 200 but never anywhere near 258.

Nobody on the secret committee should be surprised at all that people are on here bitching. You didn't include them in the discussion. You blind-sided everyone. That's not how you get buy-in.

Believe it or not, some people other than the anointed few might have legitimate input. To argue otherwise just shows the arrogance of those who participated in the decision.

We saw the same thing with the leathers rule change. It's a chronic problem in this organization. So long as people are this arrogant, and others suck up to them to defend the practice, it'll never change.

This organization needs a fundamental change in how they go about rulesmaking, IMO.