Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142260 times)

Offline sheribuchta

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #180 on: May 26, 2010, 10:42:25 PM »
the way i read it is   if the record in your class is 200 mph or higher you will need the race tire---if the record is under 200 mph you wont ---i think you can run over 200 mph if the record is under 200 mph but once you have set the record over 200 mph you cant run again until you have the right tire   willie buchta

Offline ol38y

• When all else fails, gas it!
« Reply #181 on: May 26, 2010, 11:09:56 PM »
http://dunlopracing.com/DETAIL-D211GP.html

Interesting, Dunlop's Daytona tires are made in the UK...
Larry Cason
Bakersfield,CA    It's a dry heat!

2010 BUB 1350 M-PG record
2012 Speedweek  1350 A-PG record 169.975
2014 El Mirage Dry Lake  1350 A-PG  172.651

Offline sheribuchta

« Reply #182 on: May 26, 2010, 11:42:39 PM »
i think dunlop and avon are the same company or they are owned by the same people                                      willie buchta                                         

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #183 on: May 27, 2010, 01:10:17 AM »
Hey Noonan! I watched the May runs and you ARE the master of throttle control. Just checkin to see if the button pushin is still workin.  :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline racergeo

« Reply #184 on: May 27, 2010, 01:17:31 AM »
    Some of you guys are so silly! Dire doom and gloom predictions. Insulting each other, shame! GO BACK AND READ LEE KENNEDY'S POST #108. His post was to make a " clarification " after 107 post containing a lot of misinformation. He wrote about a " Time consuming Process " I believe him. I am sure they consulted manufactures and experts who have a great deal of knowledge and concern for the participants in this sport. I truly believe it is about saving lives in there extended race family. Those guys are old and mature enough to care about you more then some of you care about your selves.
     This tire rule will NOT be the end of bikes at BNI events. Lee K. allowed me to do my research and took my word for it and as I stated my car ran 274mph with no drama. My car was part of the MC "race tire" group that he was a "party to testing". Your tires are a lot less expensive then the car guys LSR tires and you have half as many. P.S. any tire engineer will tell you the dynamic load from hard braking and acceleration is more then most any of you will create from ballast. True race tires are way over engineered for safety and that's why you need them. Cheers

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #185 on: May 27, 2010, 02:46:30 AM »
Hey Noonan! I watched the May runs and you ARE the master of throttle control. Just checkin to see if the button pushin is still workin.  :cheers:

Dean,

Rather than sit in that tower please stop by my pit area after a run and introduce yourself....I will be happy to introduce yourself to me...then we can push each others buttons... :cheers:

Offline Randall Parker

• Yup, I'm a Baby Boomer!
  • My Boss 429 KK2159. bought it from the Breedlove's
« Reply #186 on: May 27, 2010, 02:49:25 AM »
OK Daytona racer, I have also been at Daytona.  Here is my data.  I have been going over the run logs and counting MC passes over 200 mph since 2003.  The SCTA events average 394 M/C passes over 200 mph every 12 events.  2005 rained out no passes.  We have had one catastrophic tire failure during that time.  That makes it a 1/394 chance that any one pass over 200 will result in a catastrophic tire failure.  That is a .254% chance or a 99.746% chance that a M/C going over 200mph will not experience a catastrophic tire failure every 12 events.  You can follow this simple probability calculation right...  To boil this down NASA would launch with a 99.746% chance of  success.  Gamblers would all be rich, and the Stock Market would be full of all us investors.  
We have done the only testing that matters on M/C tires on the Salt over 200mph.  There is no way any tire manufactures can afford to do the sheer numbers of test runs that we have done in real world situations.  The tires show they are safe up to 230mph anyway.  Over that the passes are statistical outliers and the probability goes way up for a catastrophic failure.  You cannot beat the math.
The Faster you go the longer you live...it's just physics.

Offline Randall Parker

« Reply #187 on: May 27, 2010, 02:58:36 AM »
Only one more point.  If you also count all the runs at BUB over 200mph and Maxton and Texas Mile and El Mirage.  You get my point.  The probability gets so small that you again wonder what is going on?  Under 230 MPH ZR tires are safer than a race tire because they can be purchased in hard compounds that only get harder with age and they can be purchased with steel belts.  They are not designed to be light weight for less reciprocating/rotational mass, not designed to gain heat rapidly to enhance lateral traction.  In short race tires are not designed for this type of racing and the only tires that have been extensively tested to be safe for this type of racing are now not allowed?
I do not get it.

Offline Randall Parker

« Reply #188 on: May 27, 2010, 03:02:31 AM »
I should also say that I have several sets of Bridgestone road racing tires that have several heat cycles on them and I feel OK about them at the speeds I am trying for so I really have no axe to grind here.  I just can't get over the math.

Offline Utahfab

« Reply #189 on: May 27, 2010, 05:46:56 AM »
Wow, busy thread!  I'll apologize ahead of time for my long post!  :roll:

Utahfab...your loosing me on the weight did you mean double or half and there are two tires to count.
            JL222
The high speed rated DOT rear tires seem to list load ratings between 69 (716 pounds) and 75 (853 pounds).  I’m not aware of the non DOT “race” tires carrying any load rating at all.  I’m guessing the tire companies test their non DOT “race” tires to work with “race” bikes.  The last time I checked a “Race” bike is somewhere around half of the DOT ratings I mentioned above.  A DOT tire that’s tested under a higher load (more weight= more deflection=more heat=more problems.  My vote is for a DOT rated tire.
As of my first post all I’d seen was the requirement for “race” tires.  Now that there has been a clarification that “DOT Race Tires” are legal I for one have relaxed considerably as I really feel a DOT approved tire that has been tested to (and probably beyond) a known standard seems safer than a “Race” tire that doesn’t seem to carry any load or speed rating.

... We need hard proven empirical testing the tires are safe over 186mph... Can you provide test results.?.... We haven't been able to come up with any....
Kent

Hayabusas came out in 1999 and began going over 200 almost immediately.  John Noonan’s profile includes a note “229 200+ mph time slips…….”  I’d guess Jason has a similar number of runs and they’re not the only two.  I’d say 500, 600, 700 or more runs actually do qualify as a statistically significant sample.
Your turn!  Where is the proof that “race” tires are safer in our arena?
A rule change has been made in an effort to improve the margin of safety.  I applaud the SCTA for all that they do.  I believe their efforts are sincere and I don’t think there are any conspiracies or back room agreements but at least with the old rule you had some kind of standard that was backed by testing.  Are there any standard for “Race” tires?
Please remember that to be DOT tires are tested to a standard that is then stated, in a standard way, on each tire.  With the absence of such a standard who do you think decides what goes on the side?  The engineers or the marketing department?
I would strongly suggest adding a minimum speed rating to the new rule.  I know it isn’t up there with the real speeds but it’s something.  With “Race” as the spec I’m afraid, that in reality, you might have nothing!

There is absolutely no empirical testing that says ZR motorcycle tires are safe to run substantially more than the manufacturer’s recommendation…. Period… 
Kent

....the only testing has been done by the manufacturers and they say the tires are not safe.... period....
Kent

Please see my comment above plus the one below.

I’ll apologize ahead of time for my tone but since about 90% of the time your posts seem to be in attack mode, belittle mode or both and  since you tend to state your opinion as absolute fact, I’m going to go with it.
BULLSHIT!  The manufactures will never state a tire is safe past the DOT stamp but I’m fairly sure that not one of them stated “the tires are not safe…. Period…”
I’m sorry as I don’t know you and my only information on the subject comes from these posts but are you always pissed off?

The real question here is:

Are the alternative tires that are now mandated by the sanctioning body less likely to fail under race conditions than the present tire choices that racers are using?

The answer is that no one knows.  Are race tires safer than street ZR tires? Again no one knows.
If someone does know feel free to post the info here.
I’m afraid the change was based on opinions and not facts.

Randall Parker
What a fricken crack up you are…
….. So listen very closely as obviously you have a reading comprehension problem….
Kent
There you go again attacking and questioning people’s intelligence.  Take a chill pill!  People are entitled to their opinion even when it doesn’t match yours.

Randall Parker
…. Every mildly informed person interested in tires knows heat is an enemy of tires and heat cycled tires are no different….
Kent
Sorry but now you’re the one stating falsehoods.  There is a big difference between heat used to condition a tire and excessive heat causing damage to a tire.

Jason
Why make that post?... the question has been asked previously and also debated in committee emails of which you we a part of…. so I can only assume your post is just to throw gas on the fire…. No we don’t know…. the only thing we do know is the old tires are not safe…. Is a race piston better than a stock piston? Does a race exhaust pipe out perform a stock exhaust? These are all assumptions…But you knew that! Dean doesn’t have a dog in this fight but yet he research and posted some credible info… Bill W has a mean dog and he posted a possible tire for himself… So Jason why don’t you be constructive and throw in some of your own testing and research on how the old tires are safe in here Jason….
Kent

I believe Jason tried to input his experience based on what I’d guess are possibly hundreds of “test” runs.  The result?  You questioned his IQ.
Billy in Utah

Stock Hayabusa w/53k miles - 181.986mph.  Not so fast, Yet!

Offline gixxerfixxer

• New folks
« Reply #190 on: May 27, 2010, 11:43:51 AM »
these are the tires I currently have

1) Bridgestone 190/55ZR17 M/C (75w) Battlax BT-002R Racing Pro Type 3 DOT-ENCX

2) Bridgestone 190/55ZR17 M/C (75w) Battlax BT-002R Racing Street DOT-ENCX

I did the email thing  and I got this reply

"I'm not familiar with these Bridgestone tires. Check with Bridgestone to see your tires
fall into one of these categories."

I think their good? I went to the site...

How do I get a 100% answer on these before I make a 20 hour Drive?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #191 on: May 27, 2010, 11:51:58 AM »
What is on the side of the tire?
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #192 on: May 27, 2010, 12:11:53 PM »
If you have a racing tire and documentation to prove the tires are "Racing tires" then you should have no problems, as mentioned before you would want to run a harder compound tire rather than a softer sompound road race tire.

Also do not try to run a Shinko, Mickey Thompson or similar drag race tires as they are soft and have already proven to blister and chunk on dragstrips, standing mile events and the salt.

Offline donpearsall

• http://soundappraisal.com
« Reply #193 on: May 27, 2010, 12:27:29 PM »
John is right. The BT-002 is a "race tire" that would be legal, but it is a soft compound and not suitable for Bonneville. I proved to myself a few years ago that a soft "race" tire will just shred.
Here is a BT-003 that is claimed to be a hard compound, and would be legal because it has the word "race" in the name.
Don
550 hp 2003 Suzuki Hayabusa Land Speed Racer

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #194 on: May 27, 2010, 12:38:08 PM »
Tom Evans gave me the OK for the BT-003 yesterday. I ordered a set from the Motorcycle Superstore this morning. $275 tmd. They have a good stock, 35 rear, 270 front. BikeBandit also sells them for the same price, dont know about shipping. So there you go, the answer to your delima and not a lot of money.
Heck my wheel bearings cost a lot more than that. :-P

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing