Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142284 times)

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #165 on: May 26, 2010, 04:02:39 PM »
   First of all, I want to be clear that I am not complaining/whining. Well one complaint, timing, it seems like this could have been done earlier, not at the last minute. There I'm done.
    I talked to Nate Jones yesterday. He seems like a very knowledgable guy, has done lots of tires, both car and bikes for Bonneville. He thought this was not a very good rule, especially for the all motor guys, under 230mph. As others have stated the road race tires are for much lighter, 200lbs, bikes than our ballasted busa's. The zr rated tires are made to ride two up for hundreds of miles at high speeds. So there you have it.
     Looks loke the DOT Race tires are the way to go. I have a tentave ok for Bridgestone BT-003, The reason I say tentave is in Toms return email he OK'd BT-103, no such thing. So I am waiting for final ok. I will keep everyone posted
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #166 on: May 26, 2010, 04:09:28 PM »
The real question here is:

Are the alternative tires that are now mandated by the sanctioning body less likely to fail under race conditions than the present tire choices that racers are using?

The answer is that no one knows.  Are race tires safer than street ZR tires? Again no one knows.
If someone does know feel free to post the info here.

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #167 on: May 26, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »
Randall Parker
What a fricken crack up you are…in one sentence you truthfully claim to not know me but then go on to state that I don’t know anything about tires…. The funniest thing is that you state that previous passes over 200mph is credible date….what a fricken crackup…. Listen buddy ive participated in the Dunlop tire testing at Daytona several times dating back to our Aprillia road racing team in ’91….  I have significant testing and research in tires and I do not count pulling the trigger as assumption that there are no bullets in the chamber….. So listen very closely as obviously you have a reading comprehension problem…. THERE IS NO CREDABLE DATA STATING THE TIRES ARE SAFE FOR USE OVER 186MPH! It appears that the only information you can reference is “Jason said” So why don’t you sack up and post your research as to why these tires are safe…We are all begging for just 1 slight bit of evidence that they are safe… if you have it please post or forward it… I am really interested in your facts that “heat cycled” tires are better…. In reality your statement on this forum will probably get someone killed because they will read it as a recommendation. In reality a heat cycled tire is only dealing with the tread compound and has nothing to do with the carcass or the ability of the bead lifting off the rim and rapidly deflating the tire…. Every mildly informed person interested in tires knows heat is an enemy of tires and heat cycled tires are no different…. Do yourself a favor buddy stop being cheep and trying to convince people that a road race take off is “the” tire to use, your gonna hurt someone…
Furthermore your “gunman on the grassy knoll” accusation is another crack up you really are clueless…. Actually the manufacturers were very helpful to Van and Lee providing information and test results, the manufacturers should be applauded for their assistance.
So that said, you need to understand one thing very clear…. If you show up to an SCTA event without a racing tire after Aug 1st your not going to be able to make a pass over 200….
Kent

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #168 on: May 26, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »

Jason
Why make that post?... the question has been asked previously and also debated in committee emails of which you we a part of…. so I can only assume your post is just to throw gas on the fire…. No we don’t know…. the only thing we do know is the old tires are not safe…. Is a race piston better than a stock piston? Does a race exhaust pipe out perform a stock exhaust? These are all assumptions…But you knew that! Dean doesn’t have a dog in this fight but yet he research and posted some credible info… Bill W has a mean dog and he posted a possible tire for himself… So Jason why don’t you be constructive and throw in some of your own testing and research on how the old tires are safe in here Jason….
Kent
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 05:50:31 PM by 1212FBGS »

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #169 on: May 26, 2010, 05:42:11 PM »
I do not have a problem with killing the tires any longer

Noonan interpretation: "Even though I was really good at controlling wheel spin, I got smart and put traction control on and BOOM look at the speed."

Kent, you are just too good to ignore.  :cheers:
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #170 on: May 26, 2010, 05:52:31 PM »

[/quote]

dean, well that makes 3 then... its you , me, and my momma!
kr

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #171 on: May 26, 2010, 06:10:13 PM »
I do not have a problem with killing the tires any longer

Noonan interpretation: "Even though I was really good at controlling wheel spin, I got smart and put traction control on and BOOM look at the speed."

Dean,

We have NEVER run or tested with traction control, we do not even run any sort of instrumentation other than a GPS that we zip tie to the bike to look at after the run is over.  If you saw either of my recent runs in the dirt you would be smart enough to figure out that we were not running any traction control or boost control..just good old ham fisted full throttle tire spinning good times..

Regarding traction control:

I have always felt that if you needed it on a bike then you would be more of a passenger than a "rider" just my thoughts however, what are yours?  Wait I don't really GAFFWYFT.

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #172 on: May 26, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
Kent,

I'm looking for information comparing the previous recommended tire and the new recommended tires.  If this constitutes "Throwing gas on the fire"  you have my apology. I will continue my due diligence on tires offline.

Jason.

Offline bak189

« Reply #173 on: May 26, 2010, 06:41:53 PM »
Boy, this is getting heavy.........As the "chosen one" pointed out way back when this post started...... and it keeps coming up, that some of us "have no dog in this fight" and should possible not make any comments regarding this new rule........I would just like to make this point...... that some of the people posting input on this particular "discussion"  were racing.... and Yes, setting records when most of you
200mph plus "racers" were still being potty trained........We need all the input from everybody interested
in safe M/C Landspeed Racing .............................................

Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #174 on: May 26, 2010, 06:44:29 PM »
Bob,

Well put however if you think I am the chosen one then you are wrong..I am sure you are used to that however...check your PM's.. :-D

Offline bak189

« Reply #175 on: May 26, 2010, 06:50:15 PM »
John, you are the "chosen one" in my book.......you are my Hero................(218mph on 3 wheels)

PS. Am I wrong on this one also????
Question authority.....always

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #176 on: May 26, 2010, 06:52:52 PM »
Hmmm...not the way I took it and it is what you meant I am sorry, I thought you were making comments again like the time you said I was flying the weel ona steek at Elmo..

Offline Glen

• Global Moderator
  • SCTA/BNI timer 1983 to 2004, Retired,. Crew on Tur
« Reply #177 on: May 26, 2010, 07:23:38 PM »
I was in the timing trailer when John made both of his runs at Elmo at the May meet. Let me tell you the first 1/2 track he had his hands full of handle bars and throttle. We watch for the change in the so called rooster tail and sounds the vehicles make. The thousands of runs I have timed over the years we look for things you won't see on paved tracks or on the salt. John, Kent, Leo Hess and many others with their history and records speak for themselves. They understand about tires the same as car drivers. There is never going to be a perfect tire or any other manufactured part. We learn from others that have been down that road. I admire everyone of them and the achievments they worked so hard to get. I am sure there will be a answer to the MC tires recomended in the very near future. Lets give them a chance.
Glen
Crew on Turbinator II

South West, Utah

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #178 on: May 26, 2010, 10:33:16 PM »
If you show up to an SCTA event without a racing tire after Aug 1st your not going to be able to make a pass over 200….

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should read "not run in a class against a record over 200."

Not trying to split hairs but prevent somebody a long drive ending only in frustration.

Offline John Noonan

« Reply #179 on: May 26, 2010, 10:41:00 PM »
If you show up to an SCTA event without a racing tire after Aug 1st your not going to be able to make a pass over 200….

Correct me if I'm wrong, but that should read "not run in a class against a record over 200."

Not trying to split hairs but prevent somebody a long drive ending only in frustration.

Yes you are correct and I have no hairs to split.. :wink: