Author Topic: Motorcycle tire rule change  (Read 142263 times)

Offline WildBro

Re: Motorcycle tire rule change
« Reply #135 on: May 25, 2010, 05:23:53 PM »
Dean,
The Metzler Racetec Interact is available in a hard compound (K3) in both a 180/55ZR17 and a 190/55ZR17 so that should cover most folks who are running Buasa, ZX14, Buells etc. They also have the same tire in a 120/70ZR17 for the front.

They call it a race/trackday tire so that should be legal from what I read above.

Conitinental also has available a hard compound race tire.  Conti Race attack comp in endurance compound.

Michelin and Bridgestone appear as though they only have medium or softer compunds available.

See I am trying to help not just be a pain in the a$$ :)
CONTI RACE ATTACK COMP DOT RACE COMPETITION RADIAL TIRES
High-performance race tire with a variety of compounds to match every riding style
Adapt to different conditions with Soft, Medium and Endurance compounds
Continuous compound technology allows the use of a homogeneous grip grading with a single compound due to temperature-controlled curing
Shoulder area is flexible to stick to the road while the zenith area is wear-resistant for better tire mileage
Blackwall
Tubeless
(W)-rated for speeds of 168+ mph
Load/Speed rating: 58W

Tested thier 240/40/18 last sunday   :cheers:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=250616431913&viewitem=&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Bill
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:26:34 PM by WildBro »
aka: Tenno Celeritas

Offline 1212FBGS

• http://www.motobody.com
« Reply #136 on: May 25, 2010, 05:48:47 PM »
that looks like a winner there.... good research Bill..... any more ideas?
Kent
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 05:50:33 PM by 1212FBGS »

Offline BVCBR

• Pflum & Wagner Racing
    • Gotfastbikes.com
970B 1000cc P-P
976B 1000cc P-P
977B 1000cc M-G/F

Offline Jasontmc

« Reply #138 on: May 25, 2010, 06:01:39 PM »
it seem like the people cryin the most are spending more time here bitchin than they are looking for tires....
Ok lets look at a car tire for example.... how about the D2111 LSR tire, goodyear publishes 300mph some people have run them Dodge near 400.... its a well known fact that they are safe till 330mph... only ONCE... after that its a 50-50 chance they will hold together..... a tire might make it to 270 a few times or maybe once.... how many bullets are in the chamber.... Jason ya claim '05 till '09 on the same tire, let me ask ya this.... did ya run the same pistons and rings? but yet ya claim to have run the same tire.... My perception of your intelligence went down quite a few notches with your claim..
Kent

The tire is still on the yellow bike that I ran at Bub's in 2005 Kent. You can check the logbook and the date code on the tire if you want to.  There was no damage and very little wear on the tire. One caveat is that we do not use the same tire when we dyno the bikes.
As for the pistons and rings we replaced the rings each year and two pistons from detonation damage. The piston salesman can confirm this!

I did not know that you had to replace the drive tire when freshening engines... I guess you learn something new everyday!! :-)

Thank you for pointing this out Kent!

Offline 46champ

« Reply #139 on: May 25, 2010, 07:16:51 PM »
Why do you car guys keep wanting to put motorcycle riders on car tires are you really trying to kill us all it takes is a couple of passes on a square drag slick to realise you wouldn't want to run on the salt with one and it isn't because it doesn't have tread.

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #140 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:34 PM »
who said they are trying to put us on car tires? the only person who said they were trying to kill us is you! why is a car tire bad for a motorcycle? have you ever ridden a motorcycle with a car tire on it?
Kent

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #141 on: May 25, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
Why do you car guys keep wanting to put motorcycle riders on car tires are you really trying to kill us all it takes is a couple of passes on a square drag slick to realise you wouldn't want to run on the salt with one and it isn't because it doesn't have tread.

You do "realize" that there are rounded profile LSR car tires right?

Offline Peter Jack

« Reply #142 on: May 25, 2010, 07:28:55 PM »
It's mostly m/c guys doing the talking and if you look at the profile on a lsr tire you'll see that it's closer to a m/c tire than a conventional car tire.

Pete

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
« Reply #143 on: May 25, 2010, 07:30:59 PM »
It's mostly m/c guys doing the talking and if you look at the profile on a lsr tire you'll see that it's closer to a m/c tire than a conventional car tire.

Pete

Shhhh  :-D

Offline 1212FBGS

« Reply #144 on: May 25, 2010, 07:37:02 PM »
pretty sure it was motorcycle guys that made this decision....
Kent

Offline Anvil*

« Reply #145 on: May 25, 2010, 08:00:33 PM »
Someone know the smallest inertia LSR tire size currently available?

I had missed the can't use a Goodyear frontrunner's as a drive tire so the light-bike streamliner concept just took a hit. And with 125cc just hitting 186mph, 200+ tires that don't have a Busa pushing them will be needed. Tires that are designed for high inflation pressures and low rolling resistance more than any worrying about traction. Only 4.5" wide anythings pretty much means looking for a different class.

Offline 46champ

« Reply #146 on: May 25, 2010, 09:09:13 PM »
1212FBGS let me get this straight it isn't ok for me to run a motorcycle over 200 mph with Motorcycle tires that seem to be doing the job, but it's ok to run a motorcycle over 200 mph with a car tire.

Offline sockjohn

« Reply #147 on: May 25, 2010, 09:28:30 PM »

Pete

Shhhh  :-D

Some pretty good pics of them on a bike here:
http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/bonneville2.htm

They also have been run on a bike about 30 years ago.

Small data set, but not uncharted territory.

Offline 55chevr

« Reply #148 on: May 25, 2010, 09:38:23 PM »
We drag raced motorcycles with car slicks and it was an adventure ... Ran Firestone car slicks on a bike and after surviving one run decided they belong in pairs on cars  ...

Offline dw230

« Reply #149 on: May 25, 2010, 09:40:07 PM »
"... all it takes is a couple of passes on a square drag slick..."

This is your quote, referring to a square edge drag tire - not a LSR tire with a rounded profile.

DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth