Author Topic: BNI MEMBER'S QUESTION ANSWERED!!!!  (Read 9893 times)

Offline ddahlgren

• Global Moderator
BNI MEMBER'S QUESTION ANSWERED!!!!
« Reply #30 on: October 29, 2005, 06:31:06 AM »
Jack that is harsh LOL..

But for what it is worth i (customer vehicles) had the fastest pass on a bike and the fastest record set in a car at speed week this year not too shabby.. if we had a track like 2004 more damage would have been done on the bikes as we had a load of power cranked into the Forstalll bike but not enough suspension for the course, a lot of people had that problem as well though. i suspect the only truly qualified driver for the 2005 course is Walker Evans of offroad fame.

I would like to add an interesting thought about the course. the best speed we had with the Berkly ever was 260 on the wheel speed sensors last year and I think around a 255 timed shutting down between 4 and 5. This year we had an exit speed over 260 and a record of 252 on an existing 221 that was not an old record, set in 2003 I believe. The 252 was a put the record in the bank sort of deal as we hurt the car a couple of times going for broke right out of the box. When it rained out i believe the qualifying run Turk made was in the 259 range with a 261 exit speed. I am not saying we got 100% of the power to the ground but in the case of the Berkly Ted Wenz and Keith Turk both got around 90 to 95% of the 720 HP we had on tap. Ted intentionally ran in the low 250's and Turk took it out to see what it might do once the record was in the book.

The bike ran a 221 and after a little discussion and investigation found an ignition system issue that would have pumped that it up a bunch. All On a bad course.

I don't think the course was all that bad if you had a suspension to deal with it and didn't build something that can only get down a concrete runway. Jim Lattin might want to take note of all that in his course prep bashing. Maybe some of the vehicles were built for only a perfect course that comes along every 4 or 5 years.

Watch out for the HiTech guys they keep going faster and generally don't have to wonder what has to happen next. We knew the down force curve vs. speed and position on the track and the general track adhesion in each mile and were prepared to make changes as the week went on had there been the chance, all on the bad course LOL..
Dave

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
HA !
« Reply #31 on: October 29, 2005, 07:20:18 AM »
You didn't see the half of it. I did a whole list of suggested names for a new club. Maybe if you are nice enough, he will send it along to you.  LOL
The track prep is always going to be a product of timing that is subject to the wind, water, and the BLM management of the resources. The Salt pumping program is not the blessing that some think it is. The returned material creates another set of problems that can include the holes that were a problem this year.
The days of the rigid racer on the salt are past unless the mining operation goes away.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"