Author Topic: Your Extreme Noob Inquiries of the Day  (Read 4323 times)

Offline agrassfidf

Your Extreme Noob Inquiries of the Day
« on: May 12, 2010, 10:34:50 AM »
Ok, so I was thinking of supercharging my Triumph Rocket III and running it on the salt. A few questions, and anyone who has feedback will be greatly appreciated. First, what would you estimate the top speed difference is between pavement and the salt? Second, the bike is heavy. Around 800 lbs. Once person told me this isn't necessarily bad because it can prevent fishtailing, but I still wonder how much it impedes speed. Third, should I try putting a fairing on or streamlining it?

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
Re: Your Extreme Noob Inquiries of the Day
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2010, 10:51:26 AM »
Bob Carpenter/Carpenter Racing has done a lot of R&D on the Rocket 3. He is right across the line in NJ. Weight at Bonneville is a good thing.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2010, 10:55:55 AM »
Do you know him personally? I'll probably swing by or look him up then if he's done work on the R3.

Offline fredvance

• FVANCE
    • Vance and Forstall Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2010, 11:01:52 AM »
I have met Bob and he does the head and cams for all the Forstall bikes. Very nice guy, easy to talk to, and he makes horsepower.

Fred
WORLDS FASTEST PRODUCTION MOTORCYCLE 213.470
Vance&Forstall Racing
WOS 2011 235+MPH
Engine by Knecum, Tuned by Johnny Cheese.
Sponsers Catalyst Composites, Johnny Cheese Perf, Knecum Racing Engines, Murray Headers, Carpenter Racing

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2010, 12:29:06 PM »
Awesome. Hey Fred, did you get a place in Wendover? How long ahead did you book it? All I can find is in SLC. I'm psŸched about Speedweek, and I'm definitely going to race next year... Definitely probably that is.

Offline RichFox

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2010, 02:07:16 PM »
Is this the newer Triumph triple? My friend Jack Connely ran a BSA Rocket Three with a small roots blower and a dustbin fairing years ago. He still has a Rickman Tridant Triumph. He might know something about the older bikes.

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2010, 03:47:11 PM »
Yeah, its the '10 roadster. Brand spanking new. A lot of torque, but obviously needs set up for the salt.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2010, 04:01:34 PM »
Acceleration is different depending on the condition of the salt. Wet, mushy stuff means you aren't going anywhere soon. Hard dry stuff still has a lower coefficient than asphalt. If the salt is reasonable then top speed is no different.

The ability to put horsepower down depends on how much more horsepower you have than the salt can take. More weight is good, and both bikes and cars bolt on lead.

Unstreamlined and partial streamlined (fairing) are separate classes. You can run either or both.

Before you take on this task you have to look at existing records to see what you are up against. Open records are the best. Otherwise pick the class that has the lowest speed and target it. You may have been looking at a gas class, but if fuel is slower, run fuel.

Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2010, 04:04:26 PM »
To go a bit farther on what Dean just said about fuel vs. gas classes:

In a gas class you MUST run event fuel -- that you buy at the event.  Samples WILL BE TAKEN after yourrecord qualifying and return runs, and if the gas they find in your tank isn't legal -- you don't get a record.

Fuel class allows you to run anything you dang well please, including that very same gas that you might have used in gas class.  You can run it straight from the pump, or add turpentine or oatmeal or horse pee -- it doesn't matter in fuel class.

Got it?
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline grumm441

• HK 327
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2010, 07:26:13 PM »
Fuel class allows you to run anything you dang well please, including that very same gas that you might have used in gas class.  You can run it straight from the pump, or add turpentine or oatmeal or horse pee -- it doesn't matter in fuel class.

Got it?

Oatmeal and horse pee?  Is this some sort of new bio fuel
G
Chief Motorcycle Steward Dry Lakes Racers Australia Inc
Spirit of Sunshine Bellytank Lakester
https://www.dlra.org.au/rulebook.htm

Offline Seldom Seen Slim

• Nancy and me and the pit bike
  • Administrator
  • Nancy -- 201.913 mph record on a production ZX15!
    • Nancy and Jon's personal website.
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2010, 08:57:55 PM »
Well, sorta  Ask Joe Amo how some "natural" additives work in the crankcase of a motorcycle.  He's tried it. 

Otherwise -- well, I needed some examples of stuff that could be added in the fuel class -- but didn't want to give away any secrets.  Yeah, that's it, no secrets to be disclosed.
Jon E. Wennerberg
 a/k/a Seldom Seen Slim
 Skandia, Michigan
 (that's way up north)
2 Club member x2
Owner of landracing.com

Offline joea

« Reply #11 on: May 12, 2010, 09:39:07 PM »
my buddy Brian here locally does kits for the Rocket...

http://www.boostisgood.com/start2

Joe Amo :)

Offline agrassfidf

« Reply #12 on: May 12, 2010, 11:26:17 PM »
Joe, I checked out the turbo and I'll put it in my bookmarks. What is the benefit of a turbo versus a supercharger? A few people recommended I do a run without any mods to get a handle on the bike. Any comment on Slim's mentioning your "natural" additives in the crankcase?

Slim, I bet asparagus and nail polish will work better than oatmeal and horse pee. I'm still a little fuzzy on the fuel versus gas thing, but I think I'm getting it. What determines the gas you use if you're staying in the gas class? Class categorization?

Dean, if weight is good, then my bike is perfect, but distribution is very important as well, isn't it? I'll take a look at the classes and possible records, because I just got the rule/record book today!

Offline Cajun Kid

• Rajun Cajun Racing E/CGALT 5690
  • Venable Rod's & Racing #805 Studebaker, #806 Ford
« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2010, 11:37:32 PM »
If you run the "GAS CLASS"  you MUST use and Buy the GAS from the on site VENDOR at the track.

He will have 3 to 4 "flavors" / octane to choose from,,,  as long as you use Gas purchased from the Vendor at the track you are legal for "GAS" class,,,

It is very simple...anything "other than"  gas from the vendor is illegal for "Gas Class" for record purposes and puts you in "Fuel Class"

Fuel class can use anything,, even the GAS from the vendor,, but not vice versa...

Charles

ECTA Record Holder Maxton
E/CBFALT, E/CBGALT, E/CGALT, E/CFALT, A/CGALT, C/CGALT, D/CGALT, C/CBGALT, B/CBGALT, C/CFALT
OHIO
B/CGALT, C/CGALT

LTA Record Holder and 200 Club Member
A/CBFALT, B/CBFALT, C/CBFALT, C/CFALT, C/CGALT,   E/CGALT, E/CFALT

Fastest Standing Mile at Ohio  203.343mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Maxton 196.967mph
Fastest Standing 1.5 Mile at Loring 213.624mph
Fastest Standing Mile at Loring 204.109mph

http://s261.photobucket.com/albums/ii43/cajunkid5690/

Blog    www.venablerodsandracing.com
email   venableracing@gmail.com

Offline agrassfidf