Author Topic: Off to Texas Mile  (Read 5862 times)

landracing

Off to Texas Mile
« on: October 21, 2005, 06:02:14 PM »
List,

Im off on a last minute flight to go see the Texas Mile. I will be reporting while I am there in same fashion as rest of meets. Pictures and commentary. I dont know how my wireless will work out there for a connection, if bad I will find a hotel or local starbucks that has free wireless access.

In fact im printing off my Starbucks route from Houston to Goliad now...

Leave here in a few hours and get into houston at 10:45, and im on my way...

Jon

landracing

Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2005, 12:34:34 AM »
Landed in houston, got my Avis rent a car, a Chevy Cobalt, seems my wireless is working just fine here, so going to get some good stuff to eat and some snacks and make my way out toward Goliad. Approx 150 miles. And will have some stuff to report tomarrow with pictures.

Jon

Offline WZ JUNK

awaiting your report
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2005, 08:18:07 AM »
I anxious to hear how it is going.  I am hoping Gary Hart's new engine system works well.  It is a real piece of work.  I had a good look at it last weekend but I forgot to take a picture.  Have fun in Texas.  Send us some pictures and tell us all about it.
Crew chief #974 B/BGCC 1953 Studebaker Past Bonneville record holder.

Offline joea

Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2005, 12:31:01 PM »
jons wireless not working at Texas Mile,
will try to post some updates as he calls me with them..........

they started running a little bit ago........

over 150 mph for a WRX.............

Joe :)

landracing

Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2005, 12:50:08 PM »
I found a couple weak spots to get a signal, so I will have updates posted as I start to get them and find a signal to post. Pictures will have to wait for evening.

http://www.landracing.com/events/texas/commentary05.htm
Jon

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Good job.
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2005, 01:15:52 PM »
I hope nobody outside of NASA is reading this. :roll:
I don't know what is more humbling, Real Top Speed or the prompt and accurate reporting of it.
You still have to go fast and can't lie.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."
"That horrible smell is dirty feet being held to the fire"

Offline John Noonan

• 306 200+ mph time slips. 252 mph on a dirtbike
Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2005, 03:24:25 AM »
Thanks Jon

J

Offline Salty Blaster

Goliad
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2005, 08:50:01 AM »
Jon, thank you for your great reporting and photos. I'm looking forward to more insight on the racers. Looks as though everyone is having fun!
Go faster, just don't eat the salt!

Offline rustman

• New folks
Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2005, 12:47:12 PM »
Jon,

Thanks for coming down and covering the event.   :D   It's good to have some reporting so that those who are considering coming to the next one will have an idea of what things are like, the look of the surface, etc.  It was good to meet you.  Hopefully I'll see you again in March.  

Nice site you have here.  This is my first time on.  I'll keep it bookmarked.

Russ
209.595 mph at the Texas Mile 2005
Boost by the Motorhead

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Now that is the ticket !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2005, 01:01:45 PM »
Quote from: rustman
Jon,

Thanks for coming down and covering the event.   :D   It's good to have some reporting so that those who are considering coming to the next one will have an idea of what things are like, the look of the surface, etc.  It was good to meet you.  Hopefully I'll see you again in March.  

Nice site you have here.  This is my first time on.  I'll keep it bookmarked.

Russ

That kind of reporting does all of us some good and more would do more good.
"I would rather lose going fast enough to win than win going slow enough to lose."

Offline bbb

• Aerodynamically Challenged
  • JorNic Motorsports
    • JorNic Motorsports, Charlottesville, Va.
Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2005, 03:14:13 PM »
thanks for reporting. its information like this that makes this such a terrific site and sport to be affiliated with.

we did not get to make the trip. on thursday our secondary controller took a dump during tuning. we made 422hp @ 19lbs and then it went south. with the injector change and the proven ability of this kit, over 500 is our goal and realisitic. looking to possibly send the crew to El Mirage if we get things sorted out. I am committed to lecturing in Montreal that weekend. just waiting to hear from Sweden about our tuning issues.

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2005, 04:31:50 PM »
Quote from: joea
over 150 mph for a WRX.............

Joe :)

Oh wow.. you guys were already talking about me. :o

The weather was fantastic this weekend, and I must say the course was much improved from previous meets. The organizers and safety team removed all of the trees near the north side of the course (up to ~200ft out), and more importantly, they removed the trees at the end of the course. It's just a big pasture now. I imagine there is one person driving a lakester who is very grateful for that!!

I think Saturday had the biggest turnout yet for the event, though I'm not sure the exact total on vehicles. The majority were first timers. There were probably only 1/3rd of the cars there on Sunday, but it allowed for a very short to no line scenario. I managed to get 5 or 6 passes in under 90 minutes.

I ran a 150.9 on pump gas Saturday in the STi. With 103, I managed a 152.8mph run. It was a 3.1mph improvement over March. I was happy. Unfortunately, it was just a little shy of what I needed. The tweaked out WRX wagon from Houston ran a 152.9. ...pretty nice for a daily driven grocery getter. Guess I'm going to have to ditch my stock turbo this winter. ;)

For those who are curious about the dry ice on the intercoolers, yes, it works. A stock 2006 WRX was running consistent 130s, 10lbs of frozen CO2 later, he hit 133.5. I had a similar experience last year (~4-5mph improvement) and haven't run without it since. A TT Calloway 'vette came out on Sunday. He made a few passes, then we gave him 20lbs of dry ice for his ICs. At which point, his clutch wouldn't hold third gear. He became a believer.

I loved Gary Hart's Buick. The Studebaker was fast, and looked great doing it. There was just something about the Buick that appealed to me more. I had to stop what I was doing every time it went by. I liked it even more than the Porche Carrera GT that showed up, though that car did sound wicked. :D

I had a great time. March seems too far away.

Scott.
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.

Offline JackD

• NOBODY'S FOOL
Scott
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2005, 07:40:30 PM »
I trust the workers are going to appreciate the good words and they deserve it.

Offline Dean Los Angeles

Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2005, 08:49:19 PM »
I just heard that the elevation here is 34 ft...

Google Earth says 299 ft. Still very low. Gimme some of that gooood dense air.
Well, it used to be Los Angeles . . . 50 miles north of Fresno now.
Just remember . . . It isn't life or death.
It's bigger than life or death! It's RACING.

Offline TheRipler

• http://www.landsharksti.com/
Off to Texas Mile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2005, 09:01:28 PM »
I just heard that the elevation here is 34 ft... WIll clarify....

AirNav has the elevation listed at 324 ft.

http://www.airnav.com/airport/7T3

There is an aerial photo on that page as well. The runway we use is the one going from left to right in the photo. You can see all the trees that used to be out there last February, but were removed since March. Google Earth shows the trees very well, though I'm not sure when the satellite last made a pass.
Professor Weinburger sighed, knowing that without the alien mother to care for the last surviving egg of her once-proud species, the egg would surely die; still, he thought, greasing the fry-pan, it certainly was going to be an interesting breakfast.