Author Topic: 1950 Dodge Pilothouse Truck / 130 club  (Read 24398 times)

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
1950 Dodge Pilothouse Truck / 130 club
« on: May 08, 2010, 11:42:24 PM »
I'm learning what I can here about landspeed racing and would appreciate any input on the truck I'm building.

108 wheelbase
PP/B
408 stroker (360 block) 11:1 compression
orginal wheels 16 x 5.5 rims
still looking for  H rated tires that will fit
Rear end is a 94 Thunderbird IRS
Front end is a 85 Diplomat (volare)
Haven't weighed it yet
no aero dynamic trim other than wheel covers
8 point cage
The cab is not chopped and the glass has been replaced with Lexan

Any thoughts or comments would be great. My experience is racing circle track (street stock/ 72 Charger) and drag racing. I understand that building a Landspeeder is different than Dragin', which is why I'm here.

~Tim  :cheers:

Offline lvsalt

• http://www.dcwaterjet.com
Re: 1950 Dodge Pilothouse Truck / 130 club
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2010, 12:05:14 AM »
well your here, so thats a good start. most important be safe and have fun!!!!!!!
Gary Cole     DCWATERJET Z

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
Being safe is always on my mind...lol. July 4th 2006, I blew my motor on the start/finish line. I was on fire and didn't know it as I continued to roll around the track....when it finished blowing up, I had oil all over the windshield and smoke in the driver's compartment.....being pulled franticly out of the seat by all your racing buddies is a real experience. I was unhurt and pretty dang happy all the equipment worked like it should.

I promise to be safe.

~Tim

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2010, 12:37:17 AM »
Okay, you're looking at the 130 club, which makes this easy.  Here's the link to the rules -

http://www.saltflats.com/I30_Club_2009.html

It's generally intended for street vehicles, or vehicles that conform to a street motif.  They ask for registration and insurance, unless a compelling argument can be made.

Good to hear that there are still Mopar drivers running grass roots circle track stuff.  Seems to be a Chevy parade at most tracks.

I like the idea of the T-Bird IRS.  Cheap, easy to find and fix, hubs are set up for discs.  Not as pretty as an XKE rear, but under a truck, probably be just the ticket for a street rod/racer. 

"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll:

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2010, 08:45:26 PM »
I didn't plan on making my truck street legal, but I can see by the rules, your right. I need to make a compelling argument to let it run the class. It sez 45 days before the event. Of course making it street legal might be easier in the long run.

So if I run the 130, I don't need to ID the truck as a B/PP ? I noticed the record holder went 194mph.

~T   

Offline dw230

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2010, 09:44:47 PM »
There are no classes in 130 club competition. Just comply to the basic safety regs.

Now your problem is if you want to run at record speeds you will have to meet all safety specs for 175 and faster. You will get some info here but, you really need a rulebook. It is close to Speedweek so if you plan to run at that event you will be challenged to find housing. The entry cutoff is May 15th I think then the price goes up.

There are many things standing in your way to make your truck class compliant. Youi have found the right place to be.

Good luck,
DW
White Goose Bar - Where LSR is a lifestyle
Alcohol - because no good story starts with a salad.

Don't be Karen, be Beth

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2010, 11:41:32 PM »
130mph club is my goal. So I won't worry about the B/PP classs til much later. So far this thread has been very helpful. I'll be attending WOS, and look into Speedweek as I learn more. Thanks everyone.

Tim

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2010, 10:11:38 PM »
I've never tried to register a race car before, but have decided doing so for my truck would be the easiest for the 130 club. I read last night where Boyd Coddington did battle with the California DMV on the registration of hot rods, which lead to the adoption of the "SEMA Model Street Rod/Custom Vehicle Bill" which is refered to in California DMV as the "Home-Made, Specially Constructed, or Kit Vehicles"....reg 5036 and reg 256 seem to be the most important. Has anyone done this for an off-road racing vehicle? Or am I better off getting an excemtion from the USFRA? Seems California is trying to make it easier for Registration of hot rods, but would appreciate anyone's take on this.

~Tim     

Offline Stainless1

• Administrator
  • Robert W. P. "Stainless" Steele
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2010, 10:23:58 PM »
Call the USFRA, or Jim Burkdall, and see what they will do.  I'll bet they will let you race it...
Does it have a cage?  Maybe you need to read the 150 rules online as well... you get 2 miles and a 1/4 of timing ... stay below 159.9
Come on out and have some fun 
Stainless
Red Hat 228.039, 2001, 65ci, Bockscar Lakester #1000 with a little N2O

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2010, 10:51:14 PM »
I'll  read the 150 mph club rules and call the USFRA.
Getting the truck registered doesn't seem like a bad thing, but I should to choose my battles wisely. lol

Tim

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2010, 02:35:40 AM »
Had a good talk with the USFRA. Still need to get familar with all the personalities here. I realize now that my truck could be seen as something more aggressive than a street legal truck. Really, its a muscle truck with saftey equipment not usally seen on a daily driver. Racing circle track, you learn quick, that even a 40 mph crash can hurt. Just trying to keep it safe and fun. If I am successful getting it registered and insured, I except the fact I still might not be allowed as a 130 entry. My gut feeling is to start small at Bonneville and work my way up, so I'll continue to explore the 130 angle and see where it gets me. I'm planning on sending pictures of what I've built so far to the USFRA and here, to get more opinions and ideas.

Tim     

Offline Beairsto Racing

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2010, 09:06:09 AM »
Please post some pictures here as well. I don't know what a "Pilothouse" model is. Being old, it sounds cool already.
2 Club since '02
Sponsored by: Turple Bros.,
Palliser Chevrolet, Hose Headquarters, Bentley's Motosicle Pain Tin, The Window Man

Offline 48dodger

• New folks
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2010, 09:13:18 PM »

Original 1950 suspension set-up.

Modified to a 1994 Thunderbird IRS.

Little bit of surface rust, but no problem. lol. This is the dodge diplomat front end.

This is my StockCar/1972 Charger...stealing(borrow. lol) the motor for the Bonneville truck.

« Last Edit: May 14, 2010, 09:27:33 PM by 48dodger »

Offline rfross

• My Road to Bonneville
« Reply #13 on: May 21, 2010, 07:55:38 PM »
Tim - for tires check out General Grabber UHP's. They're an H rated sport truck tire and reasonably priced. That's what I've decided to purchase for my 2007 GMC Canyon build. They have lots of 16" sizes, too. Tire Rack has the best online prices that I've been able to find for them, too.

http://www.generaltire.com/tires/T4/Grabber-UHP
« Last Edit: May 21, 2010, 08:03:32 PM by rfross »
2007 GMC Canyon 2.9 4 cylinder USFRA 130 class build. Follow my build at www.myroadtobonneville.com

Offline Milwaukee Midget

• Global Moderator
    • Milwaukee Midget Racing
« Reply #14 on: May 21, 2010, 08:32:42 PM »
Wow, I really like that T-Bird indi rear swap.  You're making it look easy.  I've got a '97 that will be scrap within the next couple of years, and you've got me thinking I should pull that whole assembly out before I send it to the bone yard.  I'll figure out something to put it in.  3.27 gears in mine.  Are there any other options?

Torsion bars in front, indi rear, and Mopar power.  I'll be at WOS - I'm looking forward to seeing this one up close.  Great idea, nice execution.  :cheers:
"Problems are almost always a sign of progress."  Harold Bettes
Well, I guess we're making a LOT of progress . . .  :roll: